My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This aint it and I will have to wait until tomorrow to get real pictures an SN.

http://belleville.kijiji.ca/c-buy-a...on-8hp-10hp-Garden-Tractor-W0QQAdIdZ212514559

I've been told that the starter is bad on the one I am going to look at. My question (I have zero experience with these tractors) is if they are suitable for using in a medium duty capacity.. rototilling and snowblowing. Do they have any external hydraulic ports?

Are restoration parts (decals, bushings) available?

thanks,
-ron

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The MF 7 &8's where lawn tractors, heavy duty lawn tractor to be sure but not for rototilling. They did have snow blowers and frt blades for them. No hydralic ports or at least Dad's didn't have and it was hydro drive. Saw a pic of a young boy on his MF8 with a chrome exhaust stack and rear ags, snowblower of the frt, that he and his Dad had fixed up together, the grin on his face was priceless!

·
Registered
396 Posts
That ad you posted has been listed on and off for a year now, I first saw it the price was $1100.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the massey that I am going to look at is from my Dad the price (to me) is free. It was one that was used to mow my grandmother's lawn until she passed away. It has been sitting in Dad's barn ever since gathering dust. If I don't get it, it won't go anywhere..

The other 2 options he has are an old cub cadet (70 or 100) and an early 70's JD110, both need motors (I put a rod through the 110 block)

The lawn tractor that I would really like to get my hands on is my father-in-laws JD400, buy he won't part with it.

thanks,
-ron

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Dad's was a 7 hydro new, blew it up three times, gave up and put in an 8 hp. Only thing that ever happened on that motor was the rubber cushion in the starter drive broke apart. It got between the flywheel and cover, smoke rolled out, motor pulled down a little, and of course Dad turned it off right away then it wouldn't start. The dealer came out with a huge roll-back truck and picked up that little tractor, fixed it and brought it back the same day. Dad and the dealer went to the same coffee club each morning and I imagine Dad was a little excited when he called, thought he had blown up that motor!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
It's sure as the heck worth fixing up, I'd love to have it. Wish to heck I'd never sold Dad's. Sold it in 95 , with mower, frt blade, and a yard trailer for $850.00.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next trip, I promise I'll get it out and make it shiny.

But that leads me to my next question for you guys, if I were to try and sell this tractor what is a decent starting price? I realize that value is a number that is best settled between the buyer and seller but if this lawn tractor isn't a good fit for my rototilling needs, and if I don't use it, it will continue to sit in the barn I figure I may as well sell it to fund other projects, right? We have no idea what the real value is in most of the stuff we own because we only know what we paid for it and we are not really collectors of anything, just users..

This mower has a deck only no other attachments.

FWIW, the car next to it is a '64 Fairlane 2dr post (birds like it too) and it is not for sale.

thanks,
-ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts