My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am in the process of making my mind up to purchase a X739 series tractor, I want to get a 3 point and 47'' snowblower plus 54'' inch deck with quick connect. I am getting longer in the tooth and just want to go modern and new with all the bells and whistles that come with it. Over the last few years I have been using a 1972 Sears SS15 that I highly customized with a John Deere 37A 42'' snow blower, and while it has been great I would like the 4x4 and 4 wheel steer of the X739. My yard is not that big at the moment but I am looking at within the next year moving out of town to the country side with 2 or 3 acres.

The JD offer of 00% down and 60 months interest free comes off on March 1st, what happens then? will it get reinstated or what? My nearest JD dealer is about 40 miles away and I will not be in that neck of the woods for another week or 2. I am made certain on wanting the 4x4 and aws but any inputs or opinions from members here who have done this will be appreciated. Thank you.

Blowing wet heavy snow

·
Super Moderator
13,441 Posts
I don’t see Deere dropping the 0% anytime soon. Especially not for the Spring season. With the additions you are discussing I think I’d visit (phone or in person) a few dealers, up to a couple hrs away to see how compatible their prices are.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"I want to get a 3 point and 47'' snowblower plus 54'' inch deck with quick connect."

I have an x738 (same as x739 minus 4 wheel steer). I just wanted to point out that I don't believe the "quick connect" (assume you mean autoconnect for the mower deck) is compatible with the mid pto shaft drive for the blower. I don't have the autoconnect option but from what I remember, it only works with the mower deck and if you switch to the blower in the winter, you have to remove the autoconnect to get the blower pto shaft into the trans. I think I looked into getting the autoconnect but when I figured out I would have to remove it to use the snowblower skipped it since that pretty much defeats the purpose of it. For what it is worth, the drive over decks on the x7 series are really easy to connect anyway.

Also I would point out that I have the 54" blower and it allows more turning maneuverability when cutting a channel through the snow than the 47 blower that is the same width as the tires. I would also make sure you really need the 4 wheel steer as I find the 2 wheel steer to be quite nimble and the 4 wheel steer really reduces ground clearance with a bunch of steering rods hanging down from the frame. Definitely go and check them out/take a test drive to get a sense of these things. They are great machines and I don't regret getting one for a moment.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have an x738 (same as x739 minus 4 wheel steer). I just wanted to point out that I don't believe the "quick connect" (assume you mean autoconnect for the mower deck) is compatible with the mid pto shaft drive for the blower. I don't have the autoconnect option but from what I remember, it only works with the mower deck and if you switch to the blower in the winter, you have to remove the autoconnect to get the blower pto shaft into the trans. I think I looked into getting the autoconnect but when I figured out I would have to remove it to use the snowblower skipped it since that pretty much defeats the purpose of it. For what it is worth, the drive over decks on the x7 series are really easy to connect anyway.
For the blower (regardless of auto connect) the front PTO kit comes with a frame latch to hold the draft arm assembly up out of the way. The auto connect kit comes with a wire hook to hold the coupler of the auto connect driveshaft when you use the blower. No need to remove anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would test drive one with and without AWS - you may be surprised at just how well the regular x738 turns. There are several areas on my property where my old Craftsman GT required me to do some 'manuvering' around the landscape whereas the x738 just handles it no sweat.

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
No need to justify the need/want for a new Deere X7 series here! A couple more things, as I understand it, any attachment you buy at the same time as the tractor gets the same warranty, as opposed to one year when bought separately. Second, I would recommend at least looking at the CTA plow blade web site before you buy the Deere blade. The CTA is a lot heavier duty, just as easy to connect and comes in various sizes. You wouldn't get an extended warranty on the blade but you wouldn't need one.

Good luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong!

Reactions: Hoosier Daddy

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
One more thing. Whether you get a 47 or 54" blower, I would insist that it has the new parallel shaft gear drive. The open chain and sprocket design of the Deere 47 and 54 snow blowers is prone to failure. Deere redesigned it and the new sealed gear drive keeps the chain in a permanent oil bath. The gear drive is available to replace old sprocket drives and is supposedly available on new 54" blowers, not sure about the 47, but it could easily be ordered and installed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with
JDGnY2
my X738 is very nimble and would not want to give up the ground clearance or the extra cash for the AWS but that is just me. John Deere is still offering $700 cash back until March 1st along with the 60 mo. 0%. You might want to make time to save some cash. You will absolutely love the drive over mower deck w/ auto connect, it makes pulling your deck simple and easy.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said. I would recommend the 54” blower and the Auto-Connect Deck option. My 54” deck does a very good job mowing. I don’t ever find myself needing the AWS. If you don’t mind slightly used, you might take a look here. They have very good options.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Deere typically has 0% on the X700 series. There might have been a period of a few weeks over the last year and a half that it was NOT available. The $700 off is common in the Spring. They typically have a sale in the Fall. They typically raise prices in the Fall too. They also typically have a good Black Friday special, but it frequently is only on a few models.

Many people say the 2WS machines turn right. They do, but it depends on your property what you really need and/or want. If you have an 18' wide driveway/area, you can turn around (do a 180 degree change in direction) in just about any garden tractor or SCUT. If you only have 13', none of the 2WS will be able to do it without backing up (3 or more point turn). If you are mowing, other than the RIO, this is fine usually. If you are blading your gravel driveway, you will need to make sure you plan ahead to not make a mess. The other thing is if you are blading, the front end can get very light and non-responsive. AWS can help in both those cases. It also cuts the outside turning circle by several feet and the uncut circle diameter by almost 3+ feet (6" radius is 12" diameter with 62" deck on AWS vs 26 or 28" radius is 52" circle with 62" deck on 2WS). The feel of AWS is very different. Some people love it others do not. I know that when I first looked and bought my X300, I thought AWS was not necessary. Then I brought it to my property and realized, that it did not turn as tight as I thought it did. I recently bought an X534 with AWS. It is bigger, but turns much tighter than the X300. The X700 is bigger again, but I think it turns about the same as the X500 series equivalent. So, if you have lots of space and no obstacles, you don't need and probably don't want AWS. Otherwise, it might be worth considering.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the responses, it gives me plenty food for thought especially about the blower re gearing, I did not know that. I suppose the other choice if I wanted to save money is a aws awd X500 model, do they make one? and is it worth going that route? Because looking at the JD web site it does not really state what they are even tho the base models are $4k cheaper. I am just putting out alternatives and see what more knowledgeable and experience owners here on the forum has to say and again thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
Thank you all for the responses, it gives me plenty food for thought especially about the blower re gearing, I did not know that. I suppose the other choice if I wanted to save money is a aws awd X500 model, do they make one? and is it worth going that route? Because looking at the JD web site it does not really state what they are even tho the base models are $4k cheaper. I am just putting out alternatives and see what more knowledgeable and experience owners here on the forum has to say and again thank you.
Sorry, no X5xx AWD models. The only AWD garden tractors Deere makes are the X738, X739 and X758. The X530, X540, X580 and X590 are all 2WD. Just to confuse things, Deere used to number the big "X" line X465, X475, X485, X495, X585 and X595. The X585 and X595 were 4WD.

·
Registered
164 Posts
And to further confuse it the first generation/series of x7xx's were the x720 series (gas) and x740 series (diesel). They were replaced with the x730 series (gas) and the x750 series (diesel).
The first gen had mechanical 4wd instead of the hydraulic AWD. (on the models that are not 2wd...)

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said. I would recommend the 54” blower and the Auto-Connect Deck option. My 54” deck does a very good job mowing. I don’t ever find myself needing the AWS. If you don’t mind slightly used, you might take a look here. They have very good options.
I'm liking this one:

·
Premium Member
6,904 Posts
You won’t regret buying a X7xx, I really like mine! Great work horse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I'm liking this one:
I don’t think you will even know it has those hours on it, but you do give up some warranty, if that matters much to you. Always nice to spend less.

However, one thing not mentioned has to do with snow removal. The newer aluminum wheels won’t rust like the steel, due to exposure to the salt when clearing snow along the road. I’ve started seeing a little rust on my 2014 X738 wheels.

You won’t regret buying a X7xx, I really like mine! Great work horse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No question, the X758 will be a work horse and a very smooth ride!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have been looking at that X758, but not going to buy it. It would cost $1,200 to $1,500 to get it to me. Even with that extra, it would still be a few thousand dollars cheaper than a new one. The difference is the new one comes with 0% financing so you don't have to come up with the dollars all at once. The new one also comes with 4 years of warranty, which would be really helpful if something is defective. I hear the new ones have more plastic/composite construction (fender pan is no longer metal). This might or might not be a good thing to you.

I have been looking at used X700 (and older equivalents) series machines off and on for the last 2 years. They are very rare (on the used market) near me, but relatively plentiful in a 1500 mile radius. When they are priced really well, they are gone in days (or maybe hours). When they are way overpriced, they hang around for months to a year. While I think I would be willing to deal with the uncertainty of buying something sight unseen from lawnpower, I am not sure who else I would/should trust. I am not sure how much better a reputation for honesty used tractor salespeople have over used car and horse traders (neither of which are highly respected). Some people on this site have had really great experiences buying used. Others have had some not so good experiences. For me, personally, I think having to deal with the hassle of buying used and getting much less warranty, and paying cash for something in the X700 price range, would require a discount of more than $3-4K. To get that, it means looking at machines that are a decade or more old and/or quite high hours. A pair of X749s just popped up not too far, but not really close to me. I like the price, but there are enough red flags that I decided to pass on even going to see them. It would take a full day to go see, which means I would be tempted to bring one home. Then I would have to spend many days and dollars bringing it back to its former glory. If I had lots of time and not a lot of other projects, I would have already gone to look. But, I have a lot of demands on my time. So, I think I will wait for the Fall or BF sale and buy a new X739 with auto connect. I already have stuff that is mostly working, so going to take my time.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The X739 is exactly the same price it was last year, but I agree with you that it seems really expensive. I felt the same way about 12 years ago when I bought my CUT. It was the price of an inexpensive (but not cheap) new car. I use it less than an hour a week (on average). But, when I use it, it is immensely helpful. So helpful, I never think of how expensive it was. Instead, I think of how worthwhile a purchase it was. And, I think of what other purchases I can make that would return similar value to me. I like tools, especially ones that work really well. I have some that I bought because they were cheap. HF tape measures and a plate compactor come to mind. They work well enough, but the tape measures break fairly regularly. The plate compactor still works fine. I don't use it much, but it has started every time I have needed it.

If you are happy with the job your equipment is doing, keep using it. No one says you have to have an X700 series. But, many people want one, even if they can't justify it. Others buy one, even though many people can't understand spending that much money to mow the lawn, just like many people can't understand buying a Ferrari to drive to work. (I don't have one, and probably wouldn't buy one, even if I could easily afford it, which I can't.) I say, if it brings you joy and you really can afford it, buy it.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes that is all true, I have read many times in these forums that members tractors just puts a big smile on their face when ever they get on them. What's the price on pure joy?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts