My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too many projects, and not enough time...

The tractors I restored are always keepers, but there's a few sitting in the garage and the yard that I've been giving thought to selling. I've never been a fan of having equipment that just sits. A few of them, I know I'm just never going to around to for a restoration or even to simply fix up.

I'd like to punt on a few items to reinvest into some other machines(loaders, chippers etc...) that I use for work.

Here's what I've been thinking about selling:

1968 Sears Super 12 w/deck(carb needs to be cleaned, points need to be sanded) Also have a front plow for it.
1968 Massey-Ferguson MF-12 Hydro w/deck(carb needs cleaning, needs 2 tires)
1981 IH Cub Cadet 782 w/deck(needs motor work)
1999 Craftsman LT 1000 w/deck(engine locked up)

What would you guys suggest for pricing on these?

I've also got a mid 90's Scag, 2 old 50's-60's walk behind(2 wheel) sickle type mowers, a large Woods brand mower(from a 63 Farmall) and an antique Toro rototiller I've been thinking about selling.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I hear ya.Every time i've thinned the heard,new ones seem to come home to pasture though....:fing20:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I hear what your saying, Joe. Not enough time (or space) to work on projects with winter on its way. I'm going to call a guy today who has been looking for project tractors, so I think I'm going to offer him a package deal on two of my Sears tractors. I hate having things sit around that don't get used too!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,564 Posts
Same thoughts here too,must be that fall chill that gets you thinking the garage and sheds are too crowded,and machines left sitting are prone to mice damage and fuel gumming problems,and points corrode rapidly if you dont run it every few weeks some..

Right now I cant afford to put gas in all my tractors and rngines on other eqipment,and dont like them being in my way in the garage..I dont really feel like building more storage area even though I do have some canopy frames I could make into sheds fairly easy..our property taxes are way too high already and I dont want to add to them..

My Sears "Compact 7M" and a Montgomery-Ward 11 HP riding mower are 2 I might be trying to sell,my 20 HP Yard-Man might go too,I've had it over 10 years and its been pretty dependable but I'm not overly impressed with it,its not a tractor when compared to my Suburbans..I also have an Airens front tined tiller,a wood chipper and some other stuff I wouldn't miss if it got sold...tired of tripping over them!..

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I did that over the last few years. I just parted out the tractors and kept enough parts to keep my others going forever. Sold the rest on ebay and junked what was left.

This may sound crude, but having a spare engine or part when you need it makes it all worth while for me.

Not running SS12 and MF12 would go for 200 tops a round here. You make it start and run and you might get double that.

I have no idea what the cub is worth.

A 99 LT Craftsman with a locked up engine is not worth anything a round here, scrap yard.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I think we're all on the same page. I think Tractor-Holic is right, I went outside yesterday and it was in the 60's-70's, and later on that night it went into the low 60's and I started thinking about fall, crowded sheds, lack of work space for work(and not just play), machines that are collecting dust-money-space, and the money I have to shell out for the equipment that keeps me and my dad moving along with our business.

I'd like to do a clean sweep. When I get going on it, I'll probably start selling twice what I was thinking about parting with. If anything, before I go ahead with it, I'll offer what I have here(if there's any interest) before heading down the fleabay-craigslist route.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Start with the Sears, get it running fast. It would be a foolish move not to get it running and prepped right now. People will very soon be looking for snow removal tractors. A quick carb rebuild and reworked points should bring $400-$500 in a month or two.

The Massey is worth very little, in fact, I will take it off your hands if you meet me half way to Connecticut. Seriously though, get this one running either now, or for spring. (I would sell it in the spring once cleaned up a bit) The Massey should pull $500 with the Hydro if running and ready to mow.

The 782 ??? That's a hard sell with motor problems, that's not as easy to find a motor... A lot depends on what is wrong with it. It's a very nice tractor in looks and design, but with a bad motor, you are going to have a hard sell at $250.

The Craftsman? I would say very little.... maybe $100? I could be wrong, but not too many people will buy a Craftsman with a bad motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts