My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lined up some jobs that will require a small tractor.I can't seem to find a used model that will work. I will need a FEL and a tiller. A box blade and rotary cutter may also be needed. What are some models for me to consider. I would like to keep the loaded weight with loader and one implement to 3000lbs or close for transportation purposes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Have you looked at our website? LMTCompany.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey LMTC! Do you have any tractors without loaders available? Looking for around a 20 hp. Would love a fel but the budget wouldn't. You can pm me prices if this is not appropriate. I looked at the site and the ones I wanted all had loaders, hence out of my league.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Well gents…how can I say this?

As a moderator on the MTF sub forum (Yanmar), I greatly enjoy the participation of these tractor owners, prospective buyers and the dealers who stop by to add their wisdom and advise.
I do my level best to never play favorties or endorse one dealer over another.

I have three years of personal research that consist of piles of notes, data on models, engine numbers and general specifications AND dealers who sell not just quality products, but after sales service, maintain an inventory of consumables, have a facility for maintenance and repairs and a history to resolve issues that are mechanically related both, before delivery and after the sale. During my research and specifically speaking of LMTC, I have yet to find a single problem with his inventory, dependability of the products he sells or an unhappy customer that has taken delivery from the Ohio based company. I believe (reading from my notes) that Mr. Foreman’s company is now, nearly the oldest Grey market Yanmar tractor dealer in this country. I’ve never met the man, wouldn’t know him if we were the only two on a long train ride, but I have talked with him on the phone regarding changes in the industry, and, in some instances, individuals who have invested heavily in a Yanmar that has failed (from claims of reconditioned or refurbished).

There are many reasons for considering a grey market tractor. A Yanmar is only one of several brands available, but the best supported in the grey market industry. The most obvious reasons for even considering a Yanmar is:

Price - compared to a domestic models, equally equipped in the same condition and low hours the price is typically half.
Durability - Like most any high end diesel equipment, simple maintenance has proven that Yanmar tractors last decades and thousands of hours before a ’top end’ rebuild is even a consideration.
Parts Support - Good dealers do NOT import short manufacture runs or “Orphans” that prove difficult to offer and supply mechanical components to owners that may need something in the years to come. The built for dometic sales Yanmar models are not as well supported in this country as, are the grey market imported models.
Intended Use - One tractor does not fit all…A specific model ranging in weight and PTO horse power, at, or under 25 horse power will maintain a farm, ranch or residence from 2 to 10 acres. Matching a buyer and property owner with the correct size tractor and necessary implements is a learned talent. A good dealer will not sell you something too big or too small regardless of price. Knowingly selling you a tractor that is not appropriate for your land and intended use is done all too often. A well established dealer will not jepordize his business and integrity with the wrong tractor for a quick sale.

Anyone considering a Yanmar who lives in Ohio or the surrounding states should consider ‘chatting’ with Wayne Foreman. He is a no nonsense, sugar free (nothing sugar coated) tractor dealer who will tell you like it is.

There are other dealers ranging from west coast to south central U.S.. All of the dealers I would recommend are on a very short list, and most all are now UTDA members.

Mark

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey LMTC! Do you have any tractors without loaders available? Looking for around a 20 hp. Would love a fel but the budget wouldn't. You can pm me prices if this is not appropriate. I looked at the site and the ones I wanted all had loaders, hence out of my league.
Review the inventory at our site, email for availability if you want something not on the lot, or with any questions. www.LMTCompany.com Use the link that says "In Stock".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to educate myself a bit on the subject but I still have some questions. I am thinking that I will need a 4wd tractor in the 20-27 hp range. What are the models that have the best design,features,durability(I now this is subject to some other factors but I am sure that some are better than others)and I would also like to factor in availability of parts so a model that matches up closely to an American model would be a plus. I would also like to know which models compare with Kubota or JD models that I am more familiar with. I have listed below some of the models that look promising. What do you think?
YM1720d
YM1810d
YM2010d
FX20d
YM2210d

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is no way to make any reasonable comparison to any Kubota model, and while there is more similarity to SOME JD models, comparisons still don't do the tractors justice. The late 70s/early 80s vintage YM models are built as tough and as well as any compact tractor that's ever been made IMO, and tougher and better than most. As an example, both Kubota and JD market high HP models (24 or more) that weigh around 1400#. That is absurd...you will never get the full HP utilized due to the weight. 1400# is fine if that's all you need, but anything over 18-20HP in a 1400# compact tractor is, IMO, just silly.

You do well to ask around and seek advice....make a wise decision once, rather than a rushed decision you might regret. We have just done something we almost never do...we have dropped the price on three units. They are models we don't typically keep on the retail lot (although we can support them), and they have been here too long. A YM1720D, the same with a loader, and an F18D.

My two strongest pieces of advice....first, no matter who you consider buying from, get references from them. At least 4-6, some at least a year old or older (most everyone is happy at first). Then....when you think you have settled on a dealer you trust...THEN select a model, using that dealer's advice and even the input of the references (after all, they've all got tractors). This is what I tell everyone who shops with us (and anyone else who will listen), and one thing you do not see is LMTC customers wandering around websites looking for help or complaining about the choice they made. We're not perfect, but we are good, conscientious, and honest.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a question for LMTC but really it is open to anybody. How do you decide what to keep on your lot? It seems that a lot of alphabet soup is created for a dozen tractors or so.I see 17hp tractors sellling for the same price as 25hp. That seems strange to me. How do you know how well each model is supported?

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is a question for LMTC but really it is open to anybody. How do you decide what to keep on your lot? It seems that a lot of alphabet soup is created for a dozen tractors or so.I see 17hp tractors sellling for the same price as 25hp. That seems strange to me. How do you know how well each model is supported?
The answer to most of your questions is to find a dealer you trust. Our prices are based solely on what a tractor costs us. A YM2000 (2wd, 24HP) costs us about $200 or so less than a YM1610 (19HP, 2wd, Powershift) and so will sell for about the same price differential. I don't see anything strange about that. What they sell for in Japan is based on supply and demand.

We keep on our lot what has historically sold from this location. We have nearly 15 years of history to draw on. Occasionally, for a variety of reasons, we may have something atypical, but it really is simple marketing. Why would we keep models that we have found don't sell well here? There are probably 40+ models one could buy from various Yanmar eras, but we focus on two priorities....what sells well, and what we can support well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The answer to most of your questions is to find a dealer you trust. Our prices are based solely on what a tractor costs us. A YM2000 (2wd, 24HP) costs us about $200 or so less than a YM1610 (19HP, 2wd, Powershift) and so will sell for about the same price differential. I don't see anything strange about that. What they sell for in Japan is based on supply and demand.

We keep on our lot what has historically sold from this location. We have nearly 15 years of history to draw on. Occasionally, for a variety of reasons, we may have something atypical, but it really is simple marketing. Why would we keep models that we have found don't sell well here? There are probably 40+ models one could buy from various Yanmar eras, but we focus on two priorities....what sells well, and what we can support well.
I did not mean to offend. I was curious if there might be underlying reasons that one model outsells another that seems to be almost the same. I am trying to find out if there are 2-3 models that outshine the rest or will any of 15 or so work just as well and you just buy the best tractors available.:sorry1:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did not mean to offend. I was curious if there might be underlying reasons that one model outsells another that seems to be almost the same. I am trying to find out if there are 2-3 models that outshine the rest or will any of 15 or so work just as well and you just buy the best tractors available.:sorry1:
The YM 2210 is usually the best value for the money. You get the best of both worlds, 2 cyl. torque and power shift tranmission.

I have a YM2000B and it compares to the Kubota L260, I only know this because I grew up on an L260.

Wayne won't steer you wrong.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

·
Registered
271 Posts
You didn't offend....this is just the way I address the facts. Note Mark's "sugar free" comment above. I am simply dry, sometimes-cold, matter-of-fact by nature. So.....my apology to you if I came on too strong and made you think you offended me.

It's almost impossible to offend me short of questioning my integrity, and then I would just leave the discussion. Put your mind at rest and continue with your decision making process.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,651 Posts
I have listed below some of the models that look promising. What do you think?
YM1720d
YM1810d
YM2010d
FX20d
YM2210d
I owned an 1810D for eleven years. It had about 800 hours showing when I bought it, and a tad under 2200 when I sold it. Not once did it ever fail me, the ONLY things I ever had to do to this tractor was change the oil, tranny fluids, filters, grease it and keep fuel in it. I did change the rear "paddy tires" for some nice Continental Ag tires (9.50x24). I used a 60" rear mower, a 50" rototiller, plow, cultivator, and blade. It did anything I needed except mow on a steep hill I have, and I didn't feel comfortable there. The PowerShift tranny is very nice, almost as good as having a live PTO.

It is very trailerable behind a mid-size pickup, maybe even a compact. It might or might not be exactly what you need,, but it served me well taking care of 7 acres, plus hired jobs (tilling gardens, etc) I looked at a couple of two cylinder models, but the 3 cyl seemed much smoother to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nothing wrong with an 1810D, but it won't do a thing the 1720D won't do as well, and it won't realistically do anything significant that a 1610D won't do. It takes another jump or two before you can reasonably go up in implement sizes. The 1810D/1610D are almost identical in size and app. 200# apart in weight.

We have an F18D at a super price at the moment...but the F series is standard gear shift.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts