My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted some pictures of work I have done to my 1650.

Well as time passes, I realize that while I truly like the 1650 it will never be the tractor I want it to be. I have about a 3/4 acre lot, and use this to mow and maintain it as well as plow snow. I have an end loader which I bought to modify to fit it and I was getting ready to by a valve to set up a dual hydraulic system. But if and when I complete all that it will still be just a garden tractor although a very nice one. The main problem I have is I want an end loader (preferibly w/ power steering), but I only want one tractor and it also needs to mow my lawn which becomes a problem of the lite duty 1650.

With all of that being said, I am considering a new Kubota BX or Deere 2300. What is the tractor forum consensus? Am I over racting? Is the BX or 2300 to much tractor? Should I just suck it up and stick with the 1650 that is paid for?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would think a BX or 2300 is too much of a tractor for 3/4 acre.

Do you need the end loader on a regular basis, or just for a big project? You could always rent or borrow for a big project, yes? For me, garage space comes at a big premium (I do a lot of car work which means bays occupied for longish periods), so I prefer to rent a Bobcat or borrow mom's Kubota when I need it. In my case that's less than once a year, more like once every few years. Hence I can't justify the space to store and maintain a larger tractor that would also make mowing the 1.8 acres more work (less manueverable mower). Would love to have one (just to have it :)), but it doesn't really make sense for me.

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
3/4 acre the 2305 or a BX will probably get in your way I would say you may want to consider a Used GT with power steering and can take a loader most of the one I mentioned below can take a loader and Has power steering. The Deere and Simplicity models you can leave the mowing deck on with the loader mounted I run a JD x485 with a 45 loader to handle 5.5 acres I mow about 2.4 acres the rest is Garden Plot and house
But for 3/4 acres the Sub Compact are really to big for your lot Because the tractor will be use primarly for mowing correct. The Sub Compact are not very Agile on your lot where the Top of the line GT's are really suited for your lot. Mowing is the primary job and then Garden & Loader work. The best of Both worlds for your 3/4 acre.

USED GT's That are loader capable & have power steering:

John Deere
X475
X485
X495
X575
X585
X595
Any of the Current X700 series used

Cub Cadet:
3000 series

Simplicity: or its clone under AGCO,Massey-Ferguson & Snapper
Sunstar
Leagacy
Leagacy XL

Toro/Wheelhose
5Xi series

Hope this give you more of a Idea:thThumbsU

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3/4 acre the 2305 or a BX will probably get in your way I would say you may want to consider a Used GT with power steering and can take a loader most of the one I mentioned below can take a loader and Has power steering. The Deere and Simplicity models you can leave the mowing deck on with the loader mounted I run a JD x485 with a 45 loader to handle 5.5 acres I mow about 2.4 acres the rest is Garden Plot and house
But for 3/4 acres the Sub Compact are really to big for your lot Because the tractor will be use primarly for mowing correct. The Sub Compact are not very Agile on your lot where the Top of the line GT's are really suited for your lot. Mowing is the primary job and then Garden & Loader work. The best of Both worlds for your 3/4 acre.
I kind of expected this sort of reaction.:lalala:

Correct on the usage, 75 percent mowing during normal seasons, 25 percent other.

I had considered both an older 420 and a new x700 series, but discounted both due to cost and what you got for the money. List on a x700 is within 1500 dollars of a BX and by the time both are configuried identically it gets even closer, and the BX is a lot more tractor for that money.

Perhaps it's I should relook into the large GT's, however I am still not convienced a BX is to big. Follow my logic:

A BX measures 95.5" in length (front to 3pt), 44.5" wide, approx. 44" tall (@ hood) and has a 54" deck.

A X700 measures 78.8" in length (front to back), 46.8" wide, 47" tall, not sure of the deck size.

My 1650 measures 78" in length (front to 3pt), 38" wide, 34" tall and has a 44" deck.

All are very close in size, and I think the extra frame length on the BX is what makes it able to easily mount and remove the end loader like I am looking for.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The Kubota BX1860 isn't that much bigger than a GT.... They are about the size of a Cub SGT... I've been eying them for a long time and that will probably be my next step. You can get them with a 48" deck too... But only on the BX1860...

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
You expected this kind of answer? Well, you are in the lawn and garden tractor forum afterall.
I, too would love to get my hands on a BX series Kubota... if only I could afford it. And my wife didn't control the purse strings.
If I were in the same situation as you, and had both a 1650, and a FEL already on hand you better believe I would be working on what I already have to make something close to what I want.
BTW, That is a dandy 1650 you got there, and if you want power steering, buy a PS unit and axle from a Cub cadet SGT and put it on your 1650. I know it has been done before. And i'll bet you already have the skills to get that done as well. And you will probably save thousands of dollars in the process. Not to mention the pride of knowing that you did it yourself.
Good luck and Good work!
Brad

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
X464 thruX585
Deck sizes 48,54,62inch
X700 48,54,60 &62inch
The reason I went with gt's was turning radius The sub compact turing radius is just like the regular Compact turning Radius. I was talking about the size so much as the ergonomics and for you intended use and Property size. Yes the newer model used deere can be up there in price range But most of the 1980's and 1990's and some of the earlier X400's and X500 4wd model are at a More reasonable Price You use a Cub 1650 right now. If it had Power steering Which seem to be what you want. then that loader and Tractor you have would meet your Needs for your size Lot. There are alot of Good used Garden tractors out there with Power steering and are loader capable That are more friendly to use on your yard then a sub Compact would be. If sub Compact had the turning radius and the Ride of a GT you could probably use them on a small lot's with out killing yourself or obstacles in your mowing area.:thThumbsU

Used prices for Deeres

318 most run from $1,500 to $2,300 a Honda Repower about $4,000
420 most run from $1,700 to $4,000
430 most run from $3,500 to $4,500
425 most run from $2,500 to $5,400
445 most run from $2,900 to Just under $6,000
455 most run from just under $4,000 to $6,500
X475 most run from $5,000 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X485 most run from $5,000 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X495 most run from $6,000 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X575 most run from $5,900 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X585 most run from $6,000 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X595 most run from $6,000 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X700 most run from $5,900 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X720 most run from $5,900 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X728 most run from $8,000 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X740 most run from $7,500 & Up Depending on what attachments come with
X748 most run from $9,000 & Up Depending on what attachments come with

Used Cub cadet:
3000 series Most Run from $2,200 to $5,000 depending on year and Hrs

Used Simplicity
Sunstar Most run from $1,400 to $3,000
Legacy most run from $2,400 & Up
Legacy XL Most run from $5,500 & up

Used Toro Wheelhorse:
5xi series most run from $2,300 to $4,200

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
For less than an acre I'd use a wheel barrow, keep your 1650. With the money you save salt some liquor and cigarettes away in your cellar. When the economy crashes that'll be the poor mans gold. You'll be glad you did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts