My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some used space left in the backyard and my wife wants fruits, herb and vegetable garden. We are not looking at a business point of view, but to get fresh organic food.
I was thinking about various strategies and came up with the idea of raised garden bed. Because I read that, garden beds are easier to maintain, check weeds, fertilize soil and give better yields. ( http://inthebackyard.ca/garden-beds-beneficial/ ) Has anyone made a garden bed?
I would like to get your opinions on this idea. I would like to construct the bed before fall and start cultivating in the next season.

Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Raised beds provide better drainage, your choice of soil recipe and easier ( after initial couple years ) weeding and vegetable harvesting.

Raised beds are also more expensive than " flat beds " ( not sure that term is garden tested ), aren't easily moved ( tree? shades the garden? Move the bed? ) and need automated drip irrigation for best performance.

Just my humble opinion after 50 years of garden fever.

Can it be done? Sure. If you don't want to reinvent the wheel, google " square foot gardening " and be creative in your soil mix. You don't really need Miracle Grow but you do need manure compost.

Plant one tomato plant for you and one for her. One zucchini plant for each three people, I plant "Astia". More zucchini plants will take over the world. Really. The Berlin Wall was often buried in zucchini crops for climbing over.

Use a trellis for beans, think vertical for everything.

You will not grow enough in a spare corner to carry you over winter. Freeze any surplus, then cook in small batches. Yes you can freeze tomatoes and make sauce. No, frozen tomatoes don't slice worth anything.

Never ask for garden advice on a tractor site. Find your local Master Gardener group through your local Agricultural Agent, check your state's agency list.

Never ask a gardener for advice if you plan to leave within two hours.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I posted last fall about a raised bed design I came up with for those of scant tools and expertize.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/88-my-place/904322-cheap-raised-beds.html

I built 5 more this fall for use next year

What I find good about building them this way is that the slight "sloppiness" of the joints with no fasteners allows one person to wrestle them into level and square without breaking the joints.

·
close enuff works for me
3,357 Posts
I have been building raised gardens ,that are 3 feet off the ground. It has nothing to do with weed control or better soil. After 40 years as a plumber, gardening, or doing anything on my knees is not working very well anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.