My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is real close to me:
http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/for/1876190502.html

I wrote him asking for more information and to schedule a time to go take a look. I'll probably take the battery out of my tractor so I can attempt to fire it up and see if it really does "run fine."

How can I tell if it's a garden tractor vs just a riding mower? Also, does that pedal on the righthand side in the pictures indicate it's a hydrostatic transmission? It's hard to make out, maybe it's not even a pedal--that's a pretty small picture.

-Josh

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a phone call back, and he went to look at the mower while I was on the phone with him. The model number is 46901x92a, and it's a 2004 (he said it's got a sticker on it that says so).

He says the last time he had it running was last fall, and it ran fine at the time, but that now when you try to turn it over it, it does nothing (because, says he, the battery is totally shot).

I was thinking about bringing a booster pack I've got for jump-starting a car. If I hook that up to it, should it start (assuming that's the only problem)? Or should I bring the battery?

My primary reason for interest in this is that my wife wants to help out by mowing, but she doesn't like the gear transmission on our existing Murray GT. She wants a hydrostatic transmission, it's what she grew up on and she really feels like the gear transmission is awkward. I agree with her, although I've "gotten used" to the gear transmission on our GT.

This guy says he's selling it because they moved and the place they moved to has a rough lawn with "lots of tree roots" and that it would "tear it up" if he tried to use it at their new place.

-Josh

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is a hyrdrostatic transmission. My guess is that it's a Spicer.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If it's in over all good condition, it's a steal. Do the same thing you did with the GT, kick the tires, engage the blades, idle the engine, run at full throttle etc., check for smoke. Drive in foward and reverse. That's what is great about these Murrays, everybody underrates them and ask next to nothing when they sell 'em. My 2000 needs a repower and I would pay $150.00 just for that twin.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
2004? I don't believe that's correct. I would verify by the Murray tag. By the 2000's they were using mm/dd/yy to identify dom instead of the cryptic 4 digit from the 70's early 80's.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2004? I don't believe that's correct. I would verify by the Murray tag. By the 2000's they were using mm/dd/yy to identify dom instead of the cryptic 4 digit from the 70's early 80's.
What makes you say that's not correct, you can tell by the body style or the model number?

He was just reading off some sticker that was near the model number--it was pretty clear he didn't know too much about the mower so it's quite possible he misread something. Maybe a "last serviced" on sticker that was dated 2004? :)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
By 2004 that body style was gone. And before that body style was gone they had stopped painting them red. The 42" and 46" Murrays that still had that body were black[selects] and green [ultras].

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it's in over all good condition, it's a steal. Do the same thing you did with the GT, kick the tires, engage the blades, idle the engine, run at full throttle etc., check for smoke. Drive in foward and reverse. That's what is great about these Murrays, everybody underrates them and ask next to nothing when they sell 'em. My 2000 needs a repower and I would pay $150.00 just for that twin.
Remember the battery is toast on this thing. I was thinking about bringing a booster pack I've got for jump-starting a car. If I hook that up to it, should it start (assuming that's the only problem)? Or should I bring the battery from my GT?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I would bring a battery just to be sure. My guess on the year is mid to later 90's. I could be wrong and a google search may find me wrong, but I think Briggs was already done building opposed twins by 2004. I'm think 1996 or so on that tractor. Still a great deal @ $150 IMHO.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I would bring a battery just to be sure. My guess on the year is mid to later 90's. I could be wrong and a google search may find me wrong, but I think Briggs was already done building opposed twins by 2004. I'm think 1996 or so on that tractor. Still a great deal @ $150 IMHO.

:ditto::ditto: What BBY said! Same as a 97 I have except mine has 18hp twin w/ 46" deck and it is a Hydro also. You may have a tag from a repair shop or something else, but it is not 2004!

Oh, BTW, if you can get it running and it looks/sounds ok, then $150 is ok price, if you can't get it started, but it cranks with compression, then offer him $100. I hardly ever give more than a $100 for a non runner when I can manage it. That one is in good shape as far as body goes, so you just use your head about getting the price down. If you take some carb spray with you and take the air cleaner off and spray in carb while cranking it, you might get it to fire that way. The more you do about starting it, will just bolster his asking price. All I do is hand spin them to see if they are not locked and seem to have a compression stroke. Then after that just trust them about its condition, i.e., no smoke, ran smooth, etc. and just get the price down to accommodate any unforeseen repair cost issues.

Good luck!

Here is the 97 just after I brought it home. It doesn't have the deck at this point. I found a 46 "deck for it just a month ago. The black one is a 2004 I got this year....still looking for a good Intek engine for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be going over there tomorrow afternoon. I'll be bringing the trailer that way I can take it home. My only hesitation about that is that it will make it clear I'm seriously interested, which might make it harder to get any price breaks :) but if it really does run just fine, then I guess I can't complain about the $150 price. For what it's worth, he said he's got a few extra blades he'll throw in.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Yeah, if shes in good shape and operating as it should with no repairs needed, $150 is a great price.

·
Banned
2 Posts
i payed 250 for mine running it needed a deck mandrel new blades and belt...It runs and drives perfect it has a hydro trans a 17hp twin brigs 42 cut and its a 2001

1 - 20 of 26 Posts