My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of mowers the other day for a good price. Two Honda HRM215s. One has a two speed transmission, and the other a hydrostatic. Guy was giving them up because they had issues he didn't want to deal with. Both mowers have the GXV140 engine. Along with them came a third GXV140 "parts" engine the guy said had a knocking rod.

Long story short, I couldn't get the blade holder off of the shaft, and it had to come off to get the engine apart to see what was going on inside. Anyway, I took it to a guy I worked for and had him cut the blade holder off with his acetylene torch. Well, in the process he managed to cut half of the p.t.o. end of the shaft off, obviously making the crankshaft useless in the process.

Once I got inside, I found the connecting rod bolts had loosened up and backed out nearly 1/2", and the bearing surfaces of the con rod were pretty messed up.

My question then, is this engine worth the time, effort and money it would take to replace the stuff needed to get it running again? It's a Honda GXV140, which is one of their commercial grade engines.

·
Certified Technician
8,606 Posts
Needing a crank and rod...not likely. Honda Vertical parts come at a premium.

Id strip it down.

Ignition
Head
Push rods
Flywheel
Block
Cam
Recoil

And clean all the parts up, throw them on craigslist for 50 bucks.

I sold a box of briggs 23hp parts for 150 no questions asked last week.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, Honda is pretty proud of their stuff alright. Sure wish the guy hadn't screwed up my crank. I'd have fixed it in a minute. Now, it'll probably just sit in the corner waiting.

·
Old Iron 1%er
878 Posts
Part it out so the others may live, and sell the rest of the parts. I don't bother keeping Honda powered stuff around, they go for such a premium. I tend to keep ugly old Kohler/Briggs powered stuff with the exception of my 1970-72 Ariens (tecumseh power).

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My local Honda dealer has a crankshaft and con rod he'll give me for a good price. I've got to go a little further and look at the inside of the cylinder to see what sort of shape it's in. The GXVs have cast iron liners, so it might have survived O.K. If not, I'll save what I can and recycle the aluminum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.