My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out the blades today on my 44M deck that came on a LX172 that I picked up off of CL last week. My first CL experience for a mower, must say I still have a lot to learn.

Now I have been known to try and get the most out of something that I can but :swow:

At $90 for a new set, I will be doing an extra careful job of walking the yard before mowing. I'm used to running down to HD and grabbing a $15 blade each season for my old 21" pusher :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Wow, you will get spoiled being able to mow 44 inches again...

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Craigslist sellers I have come across :
1-Anal original owners
2-Regular original owners
3-Neglectful original owners
4-Idiot original owners
5-Regular Flippers
6-Idiot Flippers
7-Refurbers

#1 will have a super shiny machine and all the deck spindles will be howling like mad from washing after every use.
#2 will have changed the oil every couple of years and maybe even the air filter.
#3 will have never done anything but use the machine and occasionally check the oil.
#4 will abuse the machine and never open the hood until it blows up due to no oil.
#5 will get a cheap junker and wash it and instantly relist it for double the money.
#6 will get a cheap junker and not wash it and relist for 3 times the money.
#7 will get a cheap deal and spend lots of time and money making a reliable machine.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Those blades needed replacement long ago. You'd never be able to balance them in their present condition. If you want to know why that is important, just ask and I'll try to explain.
You musta missed the thread with the 'overkill' balancer discussion. Many around here think balancing the blades is unnecessary. :00000060:

·
Registered
155 Posts
WOW $90 a set?I payed less than $40 for a set of gators delivered to the house. I would shop around!

·
Registered
351 Posts
In southern Missouri we mow as much rock as grass. Those are just getting broken in!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
you can't stick a spoon in the ground without hitting one in my yard. I call it "time to shine up the stones"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The old blades are in permanent retirement safely in my recycling bin. I did not think to check the balance on them before I chucked them, but I'm sure they were way off. I've always balanced the blades, even when it was just the single 21". I was a fan of the razor edge on my push mower and sharpened every few weeks. Always checking my balance with a finishing nail in the wall by the vise. I would not put an unbalanced tire on my car, same principle.

As far as the cost of the blades, the Piranha deck has 6 blades that run between $13-16 per blade. It's basically two 3 blade sets. It's pricey, but seems to do a very nice job even without the mulching plug in place. I am also a big fan of the rear discharge. It's great to be able to use both edges of the deck and also not have to worry about people walking by while I am mowing near the street.

Rayjay - I think it's somewhere between #2 or 5 with some shade tree #7 mixed in . The deeper I go the more interesting things I find. The layers of medical tape wrapped around the PTO switch to replace the retention clips is one. But again at $30 it was not cheap to replace.

Here is a shot of it the day it came home. She is definitely a 10 footer :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I looked at those poor excuses for blades and then thought...if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at al...:dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts