My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listed on craigslist earlier this week was a White 14hp rider needing a little work to get running,, then says he wants $50 to get his money out of it as he had got it from his dad. I emailed but someone else emailed first. First person did not show up. So seller emailed me back. Turns out it has a Vanguard 14hp V-twin. I jump in my Ranger and go and look at it. He can't get it to start. I say did you sit on the seat and push in the clutch? He said no and does that and she starts right up,,, taking about 20 seconds to clear out the gas not burned when he tried to start up beforehand. The rest of the mower is kindof rough with a worn mower deck and a broken bearing in the RF wheel. I give him $50 and he gets a neighbor to come over and help load up. Neighbor says to the other guy I once knew a guy that actually hauled stuff with a 2wd Ranger. Then they ask me what I'm going to do with the mower. I reply I tinker with mowers,,, this will be riding mower #12,, or is that #11 as I just stripped a cub rider. I don't tell them I'm going to make money off of you by either fixing and selling this rider or just selling the engine and at least tripleing my investement. I see their looks as they are I'm sure laughing at me inside cause I'm some strange lawnmower nerd or nut. I"m giddy inside cause I got a running Vanguard V-twin for $50. They ask what kind of mowers I like. I reply Toro cause I've had good luck with them and Case cause I have 2 of them with 32" tall rear tires. I'm still the lawnmower nerd to them,,, but do I care? Hardly.

·
Registered
292 Posts
lol i feel like that to but in my defense im a nut when it comes to almost anything with an engine well ok i lied im just a nut in general just ask my other personallity he will tell ya im not right and if you dont beleive him his other personality will vouch for the mental unstabillity of both of us .lol

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
:sidelaugh :sidelaugh

It's people like that that convinced me not to talk about plans for whatever that I am buying. I've had people accuse me of trying to rip them off, accusing me of just buying the item to make money off of it. I told them, I paid your asking price, its mine now, mind your own business.

·
Banned
628 Posts
:sidelaugh :sidelaugh

It's people like that that convinced me not to talk about plans for whatever that I am buying. I've had people accuse me of trying to rip them off, accusing me of just buying the item to make money off of it. I told them, I paid your asking price, its mine now, mind your own business.

really ?:00000060:

i want 100$ for this mower

ok, here you go ... 100

wait ... your ripping me off !!!!!!!!!!!!

:biglaugh:
:duh:

·
Registered
743 Posts
That's a great story, and a great find. I'm sure most of us can relate!

I just picked up an old, weed infested Murray frame with 4 good wheels & tires, and a 5 speed tranny, for $10. The guy said the only stipulation was that I take a few old metal bodies & hoods that he had sitting there.

Fine with me! More pickup bed filling for my next scap yard trip!!

·
Still plays with tractors
2,354 Posts
Hey, don't scrap just yet. Give us an inventory. Someone out there may be looking for the hood or other sheet metal that you have.

·
Super Moderator
17,826 Posts
On my wife cell phone she has my cell number under TractorNut. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I only have one riding lawn mower, but I can relate to having more motorized vehicles as I now have over 50 motorcycles.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
They laugh at me with my 1970's Fuji 10 speed bike on the car's bike rack.
They laugh at me with my 25 year old car that has almost 250,000 miles.
They laugh at me when I pull into the gas station and say "Fill it up". They know it will take 4 - 5 gallons at max., per month.
They laugh when I say "Cash" to the pump attendant.
A much bigger laugh when I pull up to the Saturday yard sales with the vintage bike, and start buying. "How you going to get those things home?" "Watch me and learn."

They look at you a little weird when you tell them that you've lost about 30 pounds, none of your clothes fit anymore, lowered your blood pressure, cut in half your car insurance premium, walk 6 miles per day, and ride 2 or 3 times that much, spend only $20 per month for gas, etc, etc.

The only decision that I have to make today is what bike should I take out and ride......the Fuji, the Trek, the Raleigh, the Harley, the.....maybe the Sears Road Master today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts