My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in our 5 year cycle for grasshoppers!!

They are devouring everything in their path!! All of the veggiee gardens in the neighborhood are gone!! They even at the onion stalks down to the ground!!

I have already sprayed 22 gallons Bayer Complete Insect Killer!! Takes a 1/2 oz per gallon of water..:fing32:

·
Super Moderator
35,878 Posts
Re: Grasshoppers!!!!

I would put out some bird feed and hope to draw in some birds to help control the population! I went through Texas one time on my Motorcycle when they were swarming and I ducked down below the fairing and slowed down, the fairing immediately was covered in insect guts! The are, I"m sure, not a pleasant sight for you. Hope you insect killer works!

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts

Real bad here in CT TX, Good note, havent needed to mow the grass in 2 months.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts

Only seen a few small ones so far! Keep them critters down there!:trink40:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts

Wow, that is amazing. Back when I lived in AR and MS we would get those Cicadas aka 7 year locusts. Kept you up at night...Areeeee-Areeeeeee-Areeeee! do you ever have those? It's creepy when they molt and leave those shells behind. Good luck!

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts

Well, you could make the best of it. Some cultures consider roasted g'hoppers a delicacy! By the time you learn to like them they'll be gone.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts

:sidelaugh:sidelaugh Good old Ken, always ready to help out.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts

Birds and black snakes are about the only things I know of which really go after them.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts

It's time to let Moses' people go pharoah! You have a regular plague going on there.

I don't know what else to suggest.

·
Super Moderator
35,878 Posts

Well it looks like they adapted to your killer spray! Hope you get a good cold snap early to kill them!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts

Bad news from down there:Stop:Hope all the trees come back in the Spring! Man, that would take a lot of Chocolate to cover all those Hoppers!:fing20:

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Well it looks like they adapted to your killer spray! Hope you get a good cold snap early to kill them!
Cold snap ??? Early ???

Bad news from down there:Stop:Hope all the trees come back in the Spring! Man, that would take a lot of Chocolate to cover all those Hoppers!:fing20:
Yes, we are hoping that all will recover and come back in the spring!! These hoppers come every 7 years or so..:banghead3

Wow ..destructive little suckers !! Did you have a garden planted this year ??
They leveled the garden!! Even ate onion stalks right down to the ground!!

YouTube Video.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts

Patience Grasshopper, patience...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts