My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me where I should find the thermostat on my 1947 8n? The PDF I looked at has it where the bottom of the upper radiator hose meets the engine. There is nothing there. I even snaked the hose up to the top of the radiator with a wire and hit nothing. My guess is I don’t have one. Can someone supply me with a part number say for Napa or any auto parts store and I can pick one up locally? Also, is there some kind of bracket to hold it in place? Thanks for all and any help.

Red

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I see how it works. So I know that I do not have one since I can snake the entire hose. I will check TSC. Thanks for the fast response (again). I appreciate it.

Red

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do you need a thermostat on an 8N??

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Do you need a thermostat on an 8N??
Yes. Run without? Yes they will. If your cooling system is working right the engine will never get to operating temperature without.

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to order one through Steiner. I hope it arrives shortly so I can connect the hose and get her running.

Red

·
A Little Green.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thermostat was delivered this morning. It was a very tight fit putting it into the hose. Enough so I had to take the upper hose completely off the tractor to push it in as straight as possible on the work bench. I did use a hose clamp to hold it in place but I don't think it would move. Ran her through a heat and cool cycle then topped off the radiator. Glad that is all done.

Red

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,563 Posts
The thermostat was delivered this morning. It was a very tight fit putting it into the hose. Enough so I had to take the upper hose completely off the tractor to push it in as straight as possible on the work bench. I did use a hose clamp to hold it in place but I don't think it would move. Ran her through a heat and cool cycle then topped off the radiator. Glad that is all done.

Red
Remember only fill the radiator to just above the core, not to the neck...It will boil over if too full..:fing32:

·
'52 Ford 8N
451 Posts
It's also a good idea to pop a 3/32" hole in it to allow air and a bit of coolant past it. That way it's sampling the water temp as the engine is heating up. It's something that comes stock on a lot of automotive thermostats.

I'm a firm believer in using a thermostat as the warmer engine temperatures allow for better more efficient combustion and I feel the valves and combustion area stay cleaner. Mine didn't have one and I spend some time scraping off the tops of the valves, surface of the block in the combustion and a 16th of an inch of crud shrouding most of the valves. It was a real mess. Glad I went in there to do the head gasket and found the other problems.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts