My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I was examining (read: admiring) the great cleanup job the X585 and CTA plow did on the inch of wet snow we had today I noticed some dripping in the snow where I had cleared. The drips seem to be about centered between the tire tracks, and are farther apart with speed. The color is brown. It looks like it may have started as I was plowing down the driveway. I'm pretty sure it wasn't dripping when I started. There were a lot of ice chunks frozen to the ground and the tractor bucked a good bit as she cleared them. I don't know if that could have something to do with them so I mention it. Any thoughts? No pictures as it was raining and getting dark.

EDIT: One more thing, the dripping is towards the front of the tractor or perhaps even on the quick hitch. The drips were near where the plow stopped.

·
Premium Member
6,126 Posts
You might have jammed some ice chunks into the hitch where the hose lines connect and loosen the fittings. I would check there first. If ice is jammed in there when angling the blade it can cause a leak.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I’d check the hose connections to make sure they’re tight. I had a drip last month, and I panicked.. but ended up just needing to tighten the hose.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This happened to me last year.

Put it between your fingers - it is oily? Mine ended up being rusty (melted) water from the inside of the quick-hitch.

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’d check the hose connections to make sure they’re tight. I had a drip last month, and I panicked.. but ended up just needing to tighten the hose.

Put it between your fingers - it is oily? Mine ended up being rusty (melted) water from the inside of the quick-hitch.
Boy that sure sounds possible. This is one rusty quick hitch, and the melting took a while to get going today. My fingers are crossed!

·
Shacker
754 Posts

+1 Exactly what I thought when reading the first post. The exhaust throws off quite a bit of heat.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Your eyes are going to be your greatest tool! LOOK at your tractor, especially at the raise lower cylinder. These are known to crack the elbow near the tractor. If you have melting snow/wet floor under tractor, move to a dry spot, raise/lower/angle blade and LOOK on the floor for drips/drops, then follow the oil back to the source! Bob

·
MTF Member
95 Posts
X3 on rusty water from the quick hitch.
Happens with mine all the time. Exhaust melting snow and dripping off the hitch.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Please post your findings if and when you determine what that drip was. Thanks!!

·
JD X585 owner
513 Posts
+1 for me. The hoses for my hitch or blower drip, but not enough to worry me now that I know where the dripping comes from.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep, hope its rusty water.
I always see a trail under mine, and initially wonder what's leaking. Then I realize the PTO, hydraulics, exhaust, all create heat, and water drips. Once its in the shed and dry, everything is fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should be able to determine if its water (rusty or not) vs. hydraulic fluid/power steering juice vs. good old crankcase oil (or gear oil). Dip your finger in the stuff and rub it between two fingers. Sniff it. Gear oil smells like sulfur, crankcase oil feels oily, ps juice is often red (but not always). Regardless, the stuff dripping is not expensive. If its not melting ice, it might be expensive to fix the leak, but the substance is cheap by the quart.

·
Premium Member
6,126 Posts
So what was it ?, Hydraulic oil or water?

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't had a chance to start it yet, but I noticed today that the easily visible surfaces of the front of the tractor (including the rusty quick hitch) are all completely dry. I would think that if an oily substance was on the tractor when it was dripping, there might be evidence of it now. I don't see any "rainbow shimmer" in the melted puddles underneath the tractor either. Of course, non of this is real evidence.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It was likely just rusty water. That is my vote.

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going with the rusty water. Today I used the tractor under similar conditions with lots of opportunity to see the tractor track over clean snow. Looking carefully I see no evidence of dripping or leaking at all. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thats good news! When I woke, I looked at the skylight and saw it covered, so I excitedly went to the window to check the driveway.. unfortunately there was hardly any sticking to it.. it was all on the lawn..sigh..

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats good news! When I woke, I looked at the skylight and saw it covered, so I excitedly went to the window to check the driveway.. unfortunately there was hardly any sticking to it.. it was all on the lawn..sigh..
You get another chance Monday night!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts