My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was soing some cleaning arond the house and found some neat pictures. The first is My Economy in 1968 with my dad on the seat and a drag harrow and the second was right after i completely restored/rebuilt the entire tractor in 2006.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Very nice job on your tractor. Having the pictures of your Dad working the tractor way back in the day adds to the cool factor big time.
Its funny, I'm not really into the taller tires on the later Power Kings etc. but on the early Economy's they look excellent!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
nice job, i like the white hoops on the back. ive been wondering what it would look like with those colors and what it would look like all black, i dont think the all black would compete with that though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice job, i like the white hoops on the back. ive been wondering what it would look like with those colors and what it would look like all black, i dont think the all black would compete with that though.
The white and black rear rims are color correct. only the 16" wheels where all black. I think it would look a little weird also it they where all black.

Thanks everyone, I figured you all would enjoy these.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The white and black rear rims are color correct. only the 16" wheels where all black. I think it would look a little weird also it they where all black.

Thanks everyone, I figured you all would enjoy these.
is that an early color scheame? i know they had silver hoops later

·
Still plays with tractors
2,342 Posts
I've never known any of them to be white. Always silver. In fact, you can even in the original pic (I know it's black and white) they look to be silver. Of course, you've known this tractors since new, right? So, perhaps they were white? That would be a first for me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when I stripped the rims the last color layer was white. of course silver paint of that time wasn't very strong of a pigment and there could have just not been any left from the first repaint. My grandpa painted stuff to protect it from the weather regaurdless of color.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I agree with jeff, it looks silver in the first pic. Regardless of what it was factory I like the white and if I ever get a 24 incher (I bet I will eventully, maybe not anythime soon, but eventully) and restore it I think ill go with white hoops. Another thing, why is there a cut out in front of the air cleaner?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
were all 24" rims silver? I like to be historicly accurate whenever possible. all the brochures of that era look white and it seems that all the newer ones look white to me. It seems that most power kings where 16 rears once that option came avaliable.

I when i got the tractor it was a basket case. its a miricale that i have all the pieces. it sat out side in the weather while my grandpa degenerated from ALS and that part of the hood was rotted out. I am no good at that conplex curve repair so i just rounded out the area the best i could.

·
2,342 Posts
The only white rims that I have ever seen were... well... yours actually. Except for the newer fiberglass tractors that is. Well, I have see others but they were owners choice to paint them white. As far back as I can remember (I grew up beside a PK dealer) I would see these tractors come into the dealership, be assembled and put on the lot. The rims were always silver. They are the same rim that is used on the Farmall Cub. Hey, if you like them white, by all means, keep them white.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how about that! I was wondering about that ih cub thing because when i stripped the centers ther was a clear IH stamped on it. my grandpa also had a few cubs around and if one was broke and the other needed a tire and it fit it was put on.. what kind of silver paint is the strongest against the weather?

·
2,342 Posts
That I can't answer. I don't paint enough to know if one is better than the other. Someone will be able to help with this one I'm sure. If not here, start a new thread and ask the question. Sometimes you just need to bring the request out front where it can be seen easier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts