My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife damage 3 disk in her back. As part of her therapy she dose a hour of exercises in a pool

I set up a 6'x 6' pool in the back yard. I cut down a large plastic tank. I kept it heated until oct 15 ( we are in Canada) when it got too cold. She was using it every day for 1 hour of therapy. After about a week I took her to the public pool. Her back is a lot more stiffer and sore after water therapy.

The current project is going to be to build a pool in the basement 6'x6' and about 4-5 feet deep. I have a water heat exchanger ordered from a wielding shop. for a wood stove for out side to keep it heated.

any body else have to build something like this.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have not built an indoor pool, but have worked for a pool service company in the past. One major concern I would have is humidity with an indoor pool. You are going to want to find a way to limit evaporation from the pool.

One easy/inexpensive way is to purchase a solar blanket for the pool. I know it's indoors, but the solar blanket is very effective at cutting down on evap.

If you can build a dedicated room around the pool to limit the humidity to that room even better. An exhaust fan would be a great addition to help manage the humidity.

·
My other green is JD
259 Posts
I think moisture issues - mainly mold, would be a big concern unless you have very good ventilation as stated above.....

Have you ever walked into a motel with an indoor pool and got the "icky" feeling from the humidity....?

I too agree, a separate building would be best........made of cedar or glass......

Heating will be a BIG concern in Canada....the water would keep a well sealed enclosure fairly warm, but you may spend a mint keeping it heated or be constantly feeding firewood into the heater if that's what powers it.....don't forget the chlorine stink...if you don't treat the water....who knows what you will find growing in the water.....

A gym/YMCA with a pool may be a much simpler option?

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
I used to have a hot tub in my basement. Chlorine smell was not bad at all, though present, seeing as the cover was all the time except when using it, unlike a public/ motel pool.

Humidity levels were not much of a concern either, but if it was humid down there I'd flip on the nearby exhaust fan , which was on most of the non- winter seasons. A humitat controlled fan would work with less input, and be rather automatic.

The dry skin was especially harsh in the winter with chlorine, so I subsesquntly switched to bromine and was quite happy. There are a few other ways to disinfect a tub, but my experience with Bromine tabs was quite good and pH levels are easy enough to keep in check if only a few people are using the tub.

I like your idea of the heat exchanger, fired by an outside woodstove. I have something similar on the Honey do list, but plan to be using solar plate collectors and surplus diesel tank heat exchangers for the spa water heat source . ( no they are not used... LOL) and it will be outside. :)

Good luck on the project.:fing32:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Chlorine smell can be managed by keeping your water chemistry properly balanced. Most public pools use way too much chlorine to keep the health dept off their backs. Find a good local pool supply place to get you a GOOD water test kit and show you how to use it. There is more to testing pool water than chlorine and ph. Keeping everything balanced will keep the chemical smell under control.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pool has worked great all winter. the humidity has not been a issue. We have a solar blanked on the pool and a dehumidifier in the basement. I keep a at about 32.0 C

I have to heat it every 2-3 days. The heater is wood fired from scrap wood .

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks she is now back to work, and in the garden. I looks like the pool is here to stay

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is the 2nd year for the pool. The humidy is not a issue and infact it helps. As well the heat loss from the pool helps keep the basement warm. The wood fired heater is out side. I loses 3-4 degrees in 24 hours and takes about 4 hours and 4 arm loads of wood to heat back up

I put a bubble wrap around the pool and several layer alog with 2 thick rubber mats to insulat the pool. The water is not cold on the bottom like las year . I also give a very soft bottom to walk on

I switch to bromide from chlorine as it is easier on the skin

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
Nice setup, and glad to hear wife was able to go back to work.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to switch the pool to bromide as the chlorine was hard on the skin Other than that all is good

1 - 11 of 11 Posts