My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
19,667 Posts
I have two oil fired torpedo heaters,one is a 55.000 btu Reddy-Heater I got from a guy off Craigslist for $40--he bought it new and only used it a few days while he installed sheet rock & insulation in his detached garage--I thought it was too good to be true,but it still had the tags on it and he showed me the sales slip date--it was less than 2 months old..however,he wouldn't give me the sales slip because it had many other items on it he'd bought at the same time--wanted it in case it died during the warranty,but it worked great the few times I used it..now might be a different story,after I let it sit so long with some diesel still in it..

A friend gave me a 110,000 btu Reddy-Heater when he got a new "Master" 75.000 btu one for a birthday gift--it heats my 20 x 40 quonset up in a matter of minutes,but it is very thirsty!--it'll guzzle 5 gallons of fuel in 4-6 hours used only half an hour at a time..that was too expensive for me,so I only used it to get the place warm while the wood stoves got going good..It started having issues right after I got it--it would run fine for a few minutes,then start "puffing" dense black smoke and I'd have to shut it down..my friend said it had begun doing that a few weeks earlier before I rescued it from his scrap pile,and he had taken it completely apart and cleaned everything perfectly,but it would still do it at times..
I think it needs a new ignitor or ignition coil,transformer,whatever its called..

I'm not in a hurry to fix it really--my lungs can't take diesel fumes for long,I practially choke to death when I visit my friend at his shop in cold weather and he has his running almost non-stop--the NOISE is like standing next to a roaring jet engine too,forget being able to carry on a conversation when its running..

I have asthma and even wood stove smoke gets me gagging easily now..I'm not rich enough to buy propane or diesel at $15 a day just to putter in the garage,so I stick with wood heat..
I used to have a forced hot air furnace that I got when someone was going to scrap it due to the heat exchanger "barrel" being rusted thru in one spot,I took it apart and welded a patch over the hole,but I never really trusted it,and in a few years it developed another hole,so I got rid of it..it was no miser on fuel either..

Its been pouring rain all day here and 50+ degrees,more rain due tomorrow and it may hit 60,so all the snow will be gone probably,and it'll be dark as coal again after 5 pm--but they say we may get another "light snowfall" on Tuesday night into Wednesday--while I'm not overjoyed about more snow,at least it does make night time less "black"...

·
close enuff works for me
2,958 Posts
Snow hasn't been such a problem since I retired ... NO I didn't move south . I don't have to deal with rush hour traffic going into grand rapids,,most mornings I drive 2 1/2 miles down side streets to macdonalds to hang out with the other retires for an hour, or two , or three,, When I get home I have the rest of the day to play with the john deere,and ford 8n, pushing snow around. Have a heated work shop ,if the tractors need attention.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts