My Tractor Forum banner

201 - 220 of 266 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Yes, started with new plugs gapped to the spec. Even have a full set of three extras if I need them (bought all the store had at the time). I think if it is electrical then it likely is something with the pulsers. I'm going to try the carb swap today as I'd really like to not have to tear down the front of it if I don't have to.

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
I’m right there with you on that,I had a 216 that I chased a no start issue,it was giving good blue spark had fuel,hard to check compression on those,finally pulled the flywheel and key was sheared.
Wish I were familiar with the 322 and be more help,sure hate for you to pull all that off and they are ok.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Found this,coils was issue here,

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Jim, thanks for the link. I put a new coil on the middle cylinder as I initially thought that was the issue, the machine essentially has 3 new coils as the PO had replaced two out of the three (and it was running on both of those cylinders pretty well) in the last 6 months before I bought it. Then I traced the #2 cylinder no fire issue back to the ECM and replaced that, now I have blue spark on all three plugs when out of the cylinders and grounded. The only electrical ignition system parts not replaced are the pulsers. I can swap around coils though to see if that is an issue, I have the NY322 in the garage now. I swapped the carb this morning and it isn't the carb, I put the carb from the Tville322 on the NY322 and it ran smooth as silk. I was hoping for that as it continues to narrow things down. I think I'm just going to swap all three coils from the NY322 to the Tville322, easier than pulling them one at a time and moving them and will let me know if I have a coil issue right away..

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
OK so not the coils, I just swapped all three from the NY322 and same issue.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,597 Posts
Just thought of another possible.... hows the spark plug wires???

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
So put the original coil pack back in the NY322 and now it is exhibiting the same issue as the Tville 322, was running perfect before I switched the coils!!

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Interesting but confusing,
Seems like the next thing is the pulsars,but strange the other one is acting up now.
Since you just got it ,probably be a good time to get the pto off and assure it is in good condition and free to move on the crank and then it’s not far to the pulsars.👍👍

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Interesting but confusing,
Seems like the next thing is the pulsars,but strange the other one is acting up now
Thinking that something shorted a coil or two! At $60 a pop this could get expensive in a hurry.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
My focus now is to get the NY322 running, it has the loader on it!!

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
The one thing that this does clarify though is that something is causing coils to short, that is electrical and not mechanical, I've ruled out the fuel/carb as a possible issue as well. Since the pulsars send signal to the ECM first then I'm going to check the ECM and see if the middle cylinder is again shorted out, If it is then the #2 pulsar might be causing it.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Just did a coil by coil swap on the NY322 and it is still having the same issue. Tville322 is now in a hold pattern till I get the NY322 running right.

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Crap Tim,is there too much voltage going to the coils,but only the number 2 is the issue,the other seem to be ok?

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Found this on coil failure but not sure if it relates to yours,try a smaller gap on that plug.?

Keeping your spark plugs in optimum condition can reduce your chances of experiencing an ignition coil failure. As spark plugs wear down, the gap in which each spark plug is fired is widened, meaning the coil needs to provide a higher voltage in order to bridge the gap.Jul 26, 2017

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Just did a coil by coil swap on the NY322 and it is still having the same issue. Tville322 is now in a hold pattern till I get the NY322 running right.
So the miss folllows the coil?
Any chance you have another standard coil laying around,I think they bothe have 2 wires,if you have a coil,hook it up and put a coil wire in it and see if it runs.

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Tim,I’ve been searching on your issue,I’ll send you the article but it seems the ignition module will kill the coil.So I’m guessing yours # 2 is bad and killed both the coils?

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Tim,I’ve been searching on your issue,I’ll send you the article but it seems the ignition module will kill the coil.So I’m guessing yours # 2 is bad and killed both the coils?
Jim, thanks I replaced the TM on the Tville322 with a new one prior to switching the coils form the NY322, because I'd run this chart and that was how I determined the old TM was bad; pins for cyl circuit#2 showed continuity when they weren't supposed to. I'm going to do a coil by coil check today though as I need to know how many good coils I have left, hopefully three and I can get those on the NY322 and get it running again.

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
From past experience with coils going bad on 200 series,the coils will get too hot when the build up voltage from not discharging but you have spark on the #2 so if the trigger doesn’t tell the coil to fire then the voltage keeps building,maybe the #2 has interment spark?hope you find it today,snowing here now

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
From past experience with coils going bad on 200 series,the coils will get too hot when the build up voltage from not discharging but you have spark on the #2 so if the trigger doesn’t tell the coil to fire then the voltage keeps building,maybe the #2 has interment spark?hope you find it today,snowing here now
If the few times I turned the engine over will kill one of these coils I have to say I'm not too impressed with the coils. I'm going to recheck the pulsar resistance and the TM on both machines. Then check to see which coils show proper readings. Hoping that whatever happened to the coils when on the Tville322 didn't cause any issues to pulsars or the TM on the NY322.

How much snow are you supposed to get? Looks like the snow is all going to stay south of us until about Friday and then they aren't predicting any major snowfall.

201 - 220 of 266 Posts