My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this thread is to document the 322 I picked up this morning, just a few miles from my house. My name for this machine will be Tville 322.

So externally the machine isn't too bad definitely need a new dash bezel and knob for the light switch which after some PB blaster and working seemed to move freely enough:

The front hydro couplers are pretty bad, got them working but a lot of rust, so I've ordered new couplers. Mule drive cover plate is not going to worry about, I can make one in the shop now.

Missing a rear tail light, but no signs of any leaks at the back of the machine so a plus there:

Mower deck is rusty on the top and I haven't taken it off yet to pull the belt covers to see if it is worse around the spindles, but I suspect it won't be in great shape there.

There are no headlights or wiring harness for the headlights. The taillight harness was with it but was wrapped around the rear rocker shaft.

Hour meter was gone but the holder was in place as well as the harness:

PO added a fuel shutoff valve by the tank, and then moved the fuel pump to under the tank and ran copper line to the pickup line:

·
Super Moderator
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some more of the the Tville 322:

Fuel Pump:

Wire running through the hydro release for the fuel pump:

PO moved VR to different location and Alternator has no connector into the harness it is wired direcly:

And yes the seat safety is no longer working, however the fuel reserve sensor is in the tank so it may work, neither of my other machines have a working "reserve" sensor.

I should add that the transmission seems to be nice and crisp, power steering works great and deck lift works and even the inside leaver for the 2nd front spool moves easily and holds in the float position. Only other comment is that it has quite a bit of "creep" which based on it building speed after setting the hydro would indicate worn linkages. The engine is only firing on 2 cylinders and I pulled the plug and cleaned the coil connecters for the middle cylinder and there was no change, so I will be ordering a new coil for that cylinder.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Not too bad, you've got a good list of what needs to be done. I've gotta think you'll be cleaning it up during your adventures and this will include removing seat pan...although it looks like this was done already in the fuel pump photo. With the pan off, you'll have a better view of your linkage and where the slop is. My 322 had creep and 99% of it was in the linkage connecting to the hydro...ended up drilling & bushing, and is now fine. My couplers where also rusted and I replaced them...nearly a 2 week job start to finish! 2 couplers came right off, but I fought the other 2 for over a week trying to get the tubing loose. I prolly used 2 cans of PB and 1/2 tank of propane! I still ended up twisting/splitting the tubing! Start applying PB NOW!

Good luck with your new project, Bob

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,877 Posts
Nice candidate for some TLC by Tim. Sounds solid mechanically. Congrats!

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Tim's Going tractor Crazy what That (3) 322 Now :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not too bad, you've got a good list of what needs to be done. I've gotta think you'll be cleaning it up during your adventures and this will include removing seat pan...although it looks like this was done already in the fuel pump photo. With the pan off, you'll have a better view of your linkage and where the slop is. My 322 had creep and 99% of it was in the linkage connecting to the hydro...ended up drilling & bushing, and is now fine. My couplers where also rusted and I replaced them...nearly a 2 week job start to finish! 2 couplers came right off, but I fought the other 2 for over a week trying to get the tubing loose. I prolly used 2 cans of PB and 1/2 tank of propane! I still ended up twisting/splitting the tubing! Start applying PB NOW!

Bob, yes seat pan was off and I'll be looking at the linkage, might be after winter till I get to that though, the first order of business is to replace fluids and get that middle cylinder running. I can take some time with the transmission and it'll probably wait till next year when I tear it down to begin painting.

·
Super Moderator
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got a bunch of things on order for it, I expect it to cost about $400 to make it run well and straighten things out properly.

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Check his new signature! 😁
Have to find out the rules for commuting Him to the State Hospital In PA! Until they can cure Him of 322ituses :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
36 Posts

Hey Bob, what size bushing did you use and where did you get them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Henry, here's a pretty well document of what/how I did it!

Open Mod-1 for drilling instructions, length of bushing & part No. Bushing was purchased at Lowe's, but then needed machining to length shown. If any questions, just ask! Bob

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,741 Posts
It's in better shape than my 332.

·
Super Moderator
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's in better shape than my 332.
PO was telling me about how much he had in it, I told him that I understand what he had to do but that it didn't influence my purchase decision. Too many things that would affect price and value so I told him $600 unless he got the middle coil to work, he didn't. So here is some pics as I took the 50 inch deck off and pretty much saw what I expected when I turned it over:
Two big patches where I more or less expected to see them, The one blade is probably for a 48 inch deck as is is an inch short and has no overlap with the middle blade. Center spindle has some noise. I put it in the basement so I could pull the belt cover tomorrow and do a thorough inspection of everything under there. No edge on the blades at all so probably didn't cut too well. A plus that the center roller was still there and in not too bad of shape.

·
Parts collector
3,741 Posts
1 - 20 of 277 Posts