My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is to follow up on my other thread asking for suggestions, being my B day I had the day off, we had to have something for a job the guys start tomorrow so it was off to buy a cheap mig welder, present to self.

A few weeks ago while leaving a job site I noticed a set of wheel out with someones garbage, I assume they are off an old garden tractor and I thought to myself I should grab those and I did.

I bought a wood chipper last year which came in a steel frame, kept the steel thinking I might use it some day. Had some steel laying around I collected here and there, had a 60" piece of 3/4" rolled steel which fit the holes in the wheels perfectly, drilled the ends for clevis pins and started the project.

Now it is a bit crude, two shades of green as the stores are closed here and that is all I had in green to use, started with some red primer didn't have any yellow for the wheels, I will paint it again this fall, perhaps grind the welds down a bit.

I think she is ready for the woods, I will get the guys to pull it with one of the ATV's as they have better clearance and it will allow the 2720 to run the chipper full time for smaller pieces.

We had a major fire here a few weeks back and to make a long story short the woods are full of down fall from a Hurricane years back, after the fire my phone hasn't stopped for wood clearing and chipping so I hired four guys, two experienced chain saw operators and two to keep the chipper going, they start tomorrow.

Pallet forks would be ideal and I plan to order a set however for now this should work great, we will cut everything into 4' pieces and transport back to my house on an 18 foot tandem trailer, when I get 15 cord done I will sell it to the paper mill.

I couldn't help but think of Red Green today building this (Canadian Comedian handyman) and his saying "If the women can't find you handsome they may as well find you handy"

Andy

Attachments

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
That looks real good.:thThumbsU

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Very nice job. That looks to be a very handy trailer for more uses than I can count.

BTW, Red Green is fricken hilarious! It's just a shame that the PBS feed that I get on the satellite doesn't carry him. I should fuss, but, I know it won't do any good.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice job. That looks to be a very handy trailer for more uses than I can count.

BTW, Red Green is fricken hilarious! It's just a shame that the PBS feed that I get on the satellite doesn't carry him. I should fuss, but, I know it won't do any good.
He is quite a character, I have seen him live here in Halifax a few times, met him once on an airplane and got to talk to him for an hour, we had each other in stitches, could have been th beer or the long flight, not sure.....

Yes my daughter said it would be great for hauling firewood with the X500, she loves that trcactor, well almost as much as her ATV:)

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Picframer, I always enjoy seeing your projects. That trailer you
built looks stout.:trink40:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great work. Now just build yourself another like it to hook up to the back of the first cart and you can really move some logs with it. slkpk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great work. Now just build yourself another like it to hook up to the back of the first cart and you can really move some logs with it. slkpk
I was thinking this morning of a tandem with a dump and an electric winch, just need wheels.

We are doing a lot of drainage jobs and using the JD 17P cart, it doesn't dump that well and it is not going to last.

I am going to build a trailer with ATV tires so it doesn't damage the lawn, nice and wide and put a winch on it to dump and here is why.

If you call and need say a 150 foot drain from the house to the edge of your property, we first remove a strip of sod 16" wide the entire length, then start digging, I put the dug product in a trailer pulled by one of the ATV's that sits beside the employee doing the digging, we dump it as we go, result is next to no clean up as we replace what we took out with clear stone and drain pipe.

I have the design, now I need tires and time.

Have a great week all!

Andy

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what I plan to make and or buy

Attachments

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Andy,

Clever solution! :thThumbsU

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I am now envious of you now that I have learned that you got to spend some time and beer with Red Green! You lucky dog!

Back to the subject. The dump trailer idea with the big soft tires is a great idea. I really like the idea and would love to build one for myself as well.

King Kutter has one through Northern Tool that is very similar to that for $2400. I think that one could be built for a lot less.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Picframer, JD sells the elec lift for the gator that does that lift function. I do not recall the price but thats what i put on my gator 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi Andy

Just saw this thread. Nice job on the trailer. Congratulations on the Bday. Looks like you put your present to good use. I have learning to weld on my retirement must do list.
Sounds like the business is doing well. You'll soon need to increase the size of your parking area to fit in all the equipment. You can never have too many tools.

My favorite Red Green Quote
I'm a man and I can change..... if I have too....I guess!

Did you see the episode where he used a garbage can, ladder, rope, lots of DT and an old Cadillac to make a Backhoe. It was the Backhoe of Cadillacs!

:sidelaugh :sidelaugh That one still makes me chuckle.

Take Care
Brian

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks bud, it is about 10 min from your place, I worked with this crew for three hours this afternoon as there were some pretty major sized trees to come down and they were not comfortable cutting them. I am getting paid to haul the wood away however I have them cutting it into pulp as I can get $65.00 a cord at the driveway and we will have about 40 cord when we are done.

John Deere is bringing me a 17D excavator to try for a couple of days but I am not sold, For 30,000 I can get a lot more excavator in a Volvo or Cat, I may tell them to not bother, we really need an excavator, at the moment we have 52 jobs to do, booked into July after today which is not a good thing.

I found a really good operator just need the equipment. The tractors are excellent at digging and everything except the side force on the hoe, it is very disappointing plus we are doing so much excavation I need something a little bigger, looker at the 27D which is what I am looking for but not at $48,000

Bought a new Passat TDI to replace the wrecked Jetta, replaced the trailer with one from John Deere, just thankful no one was hurt.

Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts