My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
:D unfortunately its far more true than funny given the asinine new CAFE standards.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
It boggles my mind how the "Smart Car" is street legal. I cringe when I meet one on the road, if it crosses into my path, any one of my trucks, car or van, the Smart Car will be a dead car. :Stop: No way no how would I ever ride in one let alone spend the $$$$ for one.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
It should be called the stupid car!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
smart cars are reaally safe.do you see that silver pannted bar that raps aroung the body, thats called the tridion safety cell. i is the frame.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
and if anyone seriously thinks I will trade my truck in for one of those, can kiss the fattest part of my smass!!

smart cars are reaally safe.do you see that silver pannted bar that raps aroung the body, thats called the tridion safety cell. i is the frame.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Apparently they are quite safe.
- crash tested on front impact at 70 mph and the windshield didn't even break
- German Engineering / construction borrowed from Formula 1 racing
Just what a local owner of one told me !!

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
looks like a roll cage on wheels.

the only thing is, for me, it would roll more often than one that isnt like it.

so there is the trade-off.

i would love to pick one up and swing it around 180 degrees in a parking stall and watch the owners face when they return to get it.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
no offense, but i think those cars look ridiculous.
Up north, during 4-5 months of the year when weather is not so good... id much rather be behind the wheel of my F150 or old impala than that 'smart' car....

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
What I think is ridiculous about it is the fuel economy. I had a Chevy Metro which got over 50 MPG on the highway. And I paid around $6K for it.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
The Smart car shares one characteristic with Ford's new Transit Connect minivan- you give up a lot and don't get much in return. Both of these should have been offered with a diesel option, then you'ld at least have something to brag about, I believe near 70 MPG in the case of the Smart, I don't know what it would be in the TC, probably in the mid thirties. For the cost of the Smart, you could have a nice used TDI, or a small Honda, be getting the same or better MPG, much more performance, and have a real car. In the case of the TC, it may be suitable for a florist, cleaner or caterer, but I can't see any benefit to an electrician or plumber. You would need two of them to do what one E350 could do. Go for a Sprinter, and you can have your cake and eat it too- you have the GVW of a full sized van and fuel economy the same or better than the TC. Keep in mind also the Smart requires premium fuel- the same cost as diesel in most areas. It is required to get the most out of the anemic 3 cylinder engine. The TC redlines at 6400 RPM- how long would you want to listen to that at full GVW trying to pull a mountain grade?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Great on fuel, now if only you could survive getting into an accident!!!!
Watch this video of an offset collision with a midsized car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu95gB04VC4

Wow!! Check out the Smart Car crash at the very end of the video. It literally gets punted away from the crash! I doubt the occupants would fair too well in that crash as the passenger compartment is severely compromised.

So much for the comment above about the windshield not even breaking in a 70 mph crash.....

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My cottage neighbors have two of them. . . The load limit is 500lbs max. When both of them ride in it after a while he starts to smell clutch. I think they are exceeding the load limit . . .:sidelaugh

·
Registered
806 Posts
I DO want one!!!

If I can attach a mower deck to it, then I can mow with the AIR CONDITIONER on! Ye Hah!!!
Of course, it might not have enough HP to run a mower deck?!

Other than that, not much use for it... well, maybe a quick trip to the store to get a loaf of bread... on local streets, where the speed limit is 20 MPH. :)

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,783 Posts
For the cost of the Smart, you could have a nice used TDI, or a small Honda, be getting the same or better MPG, much more performance, and have a real car.
Agreed! I was looking for a car about the time they were being introduced, and I was watching the pricing on them. I gave up thinking they were going to go for the original $11-$13k that was originally foreseen as the introduction pricing. Instead of pricing for the actual value of the car, they're going for TWICE as much. And for WHAT?

I would have bought at that original price, and put up with the shortcomings - just the way you put up with the shortcomings in an aircooled VW. But at twice the cost, SMARTs are just not worth it.

Instead I found a nice little sedan for not that much more, and although it's not a rocket-ship, it goes and handles great. By comparison, I've seen a few SMARTs on our old country roads, and it's obvious they were made for city use. Slow, and WAY slower around corners... I guess I'm just not in their demographic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I heard they are extremely slow, and unless you plan on just crusing at 50 not to get one, i also heard they are very noisy inside and shakey. My opinion is that they are Ugly, why not just get a geo metro? As for the windshield not braking at 70, pure bs.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
They are as safe as a tiny car can be. I also think they look silly. I do have a friend whos wife has one..a convertible (power roof even).
I did get to drive it...It is wierd..it isn't a fully automatic. You need to shift it, of it will rev a bunch until it finally shifts inself like a normal auto with a vacuum leak.
Not real impressive milage. I think they said 35mpg, which our 94 cavalier would do all day.
They already had to have the oil pan replaced..it was leaking since day one. I did think the ride was a little choppy, but it actually felt like a real car driving it.
It would be safer than a motorcycle but thats about it. There is a point where chopping unessential mass off a car starts to lose its practicality, and for normal all around driving, the Smart car passed that point in my opinion. She only commutes to work in St. Louis with it, and loves it. Whatever turns your crank.
Some people can get by with a motorcycle I guess.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts