My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I had this silly idea to make a snow plow for my Springfield 62A mini riding mower out of a snow pusher. I started with a few simple goals: no welding, no modifying the tractor, and use what ya got. I had this...

download.png

So I quickly started playing around with some scraps and what was left of the pusher's handle. Not too long later, I had this rough fit prototype.

IMG_5642.jpeg

Clearances were really tight. I had to clear the deck roller with my cross bar and the steering with my main rails. Because of this, the deck can only come up to 2.5" instead of the full 3" max cut. Not that I plan to cut while plowing.

IMG_5646.jpeg

The steering clears out front too, even at full blade angle.

IMG_5652.jpeg

All in all, it came out surprisingly functional given this "tractor's" own limitations. I also have to give credit to pure dumb luck that the cheapest snow pusher on ebay fit right up with only some reassembly required.

Now it needs a manual lift... I was going to use a bicycle hand brake and cable assembly with a locking moped brake handle to keep it locked at full high. But I don't have one that's not on a bike, so for now, here's a couple more angles:

IMG_5644.jpeg

IMG_5645.jpeg

And one from underneath where you can see how crowded everything is.

IMG_5648.jpeg

And finally my favorite:

IMG_5653.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
That's awesome. I've always been a fan of "run what ya brung"
Use what you have to its maximum output and upgrade when you break it in half need to.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Very cool! I'm probably going to do something similar for one of my small tractors.

How well does the Supertrapp muffler work and what size is it? I have a few projects that could use a simple solution like that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow, thanks for the positive feedback on the pint size build!

Very cool! I'm probably going to do something similar for one of my small tractors.

How well does the Supertrapp muffler work and what size is it? I have a few projects that could use a simple solution like that.
I'd love to see what you come up with! It's a Supertrapp part number 344-1505 with a 3" diffuser with 1.5" inlet. I'm using 3 of the 12 provided baffles. I believe it's significantly quieter than the sausage mufflers I was running although I'm not sure if it was really worth $80 quite yet.

Well I'm sure I can say for everyone that we definitely want to see the video of it plowing! Very cool build!
I'll do my best. The blade lift should be done this weekend. After that it's up to Ohio to deliver the snow.

A few other design notes worth mentioning... the plow bracket is intended to be left permanently attached as it does not affect ground clearance or maneuverability. The neat part about that is how the plow assembly can be quickly removed via two bolts with 13/16ths heads. So you can install or remove the plow with any old spark plug wrench in two minutes or less. Does that qualify as old school "quick attach"?

IMG_5671.jpeg

And does this count as a manual lift?

IMG_5672.jpeg

Here's a better look at what's going on underneath. Everything is as far back as it will get in this photo. I'm still going to shim the steering link rod upwards a bit just to ensure I don't have contact between it and the bracket if the front end hits full tilt.

IMG_5676.jpeg

Next update will be when I finish up the plow lift and hand lever. Thanks for checking out my silly little project and glad to hear you guys like it so far!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If your plow set up was "weathered " a little bit it almost looks like it belongs on there..?
Hopefully I get the chance to "weather" it a bit the natural way!

Is it hard to remove the deck on that old sweetheart?
Not at all. Four bolts and it’s out. Putting it back on requires several dozen curse words and a lot more time.

So here's my first draft of the blade lift... First I replaced the front washer with a bracket made from scrap. I also shimmed the steering linkage while doing this. (Not pictured)

IMG_4422.jpeg

Here it is with the hood on.

IMG_5690.jpeg

I used existing holes in the deck to mount the hand lever and cable bracket.

IMG_5682.jpeg

The cable routing still needs revision, as do the angles of the previously pictured cable brackets. This was just a proof of concept.

IMG_5689.jpeg

However "rustic" some elements are, it works. I set the tension on the hand lever pretty snug so it'll stay wherever you leave it. This is full back with the plow flat on the ground. The lever bumps the deck caster bracket in this position.

IMG_5688.jpeg

Full up has a mechanical stop too. The lever bumps the nut holding the cable brackets just forward of it and you're at max lift.

IMG_5686.jpeg

Well... I guess it's time to make some revisions and do paint on all the bare metal. Looking at the last photo makes me want to change the angle the lever sits at and I think I can just a liiiittle bit.

I'm pretty happy with how this has gone so far. And I think my son will have a hoot playing with the lever. Thanks again for following along!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hah! Not since I put some shrink wrap over the bare spark plug connector. Fingers crossed my luck holds out.

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
I mow enough grass that the cable would not last long at the chute outlet. Putting it threw a steel tube at that location maybe a simple solution if it become a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
Hah! Not since I put some shrink wrap over the bare spark plug connector. Fingers crossed my luck holds out.
Our first gas power mower growing up had the old fashion spring loaded ground kill strap that had to be held against the plug to kill it. It took both older brother and I to push it and we took turns with the shut off. The key was proper planning with gas fills hoping it would run out shortly after finishing the lawn especially on wet grass days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I mow enough grass that the cable would not last long at the chute outlet. Putting it threw a steel tube at that location maybe a simple solution if it become a problem.
I really don't intend to use this to mow much if at all, especially with the plow, handle, and cabling mounted up. I don't like where I put them but I couldn't find any better options as I sat on it and looked for potential locations. Plus the bicycle brake handles were just too small and too weak.

As for mowing, in general my walk behind is significantly less work and quite a bit safer. If I really wanted to mow with this I'd just buy a used 60" self-powered pull behind swisher for $250-350, tug it around, and be done with it before I'm either tired or bored.

Our first gas power mower growing up had the old fashion spring loaded ground kill strap that had to be held against the plug to kill it. It took both older brother and I to push it and we took turns with the shut off. The key was proper planning with gas fills hoping it would run out shortly after finishing the lawn especially on wet grass days.
Ouch! That sounds painful... This one got me plenty of times when I was first messing with it. Thankfully the throttle/choke lever just slides to the right and grounds the ignition kill wire via a small copper tab so shutoff was not so shocking.

Edit: Did some more foolin' around trying to make it look like a big boy. 5 lb wheel weights, oh man!

IMG_5692.jpeg

Upped it to 10 lbs by sandwiching 5 lbs in the middle and 5 lbs on the outside.

IMG_5693.jpeg

All I need is to buy a few more bolts and washers to mount it up.

IMG_5694.jpeg

And now for maximum traction... 3 lbs per side up front! I'd have to do a little bit of drilling and some hardware but this could be accomplished quite easily too. Thing is, I'm starting to like this look for it...

IMG_5695.jpeg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure if you're going to get use it this winter....Fortunately or unfortunately depending how you look at it..?
I'd love to try it out but I still think this engine is on borrowed time. It's running much better overall, however, it uses a lot of oil.

The engine did not stop smoking at all today. It also turns out that the supertrapp is quiet enough that I can now hear some not so good engine noise. Dang.

S'pose I'd better enjoy it while it lasts. I've been trying to find a replacement engine for over a week to no avail.

Does it have a differential for the rear, or just solid axle 2WD?
It has an actual differential. It uses a Peerless 1200 series 3 speed with reverse transaxle, specifically a 1251-1.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd love to try it out but I still think this engine is on borrowed time. It's running much better overall, however, it uses a lot of oil.

The engine did not stop smoking at all today. It also turns out that the supertrapp is quiet enough that I can now hear some not so good engine noise. Dang.

S'pose I'd better enjoy it while it lasts.
I've used Lucas oil treatment with pretty good luck. Not a cure all but does help quite a bit. I had a Tecumseh snowblower engine that smoked like a freight train and it helped that a lot. It's a real thick additive . Does help. Maybe $8 a quart. You have nothing to lose..!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was wrong about the engine noise thank goodness... My already known to be shoddy recoil start is making a grinding noise with the engine running. If I press in just the right spot it stops. Phew.

I've used Lucas oil treatment with pretty good luck. Not a cure all but does help quite a bit. I had a Tecumseh snowblower engine that smoked like a freight train and it helped that a lot. It's a real thick additive . Does help. Maybe $8 a quart. You have nothing to lose..!
I dumped some 15/40 synthetic motorcycle oil in it because that's what I had. Couldn't hurt to try some additive. It's no secret the rings are tired. Cold starts can be pretty smoky after sitting for more than a few hours.

As for projectin' I hooked the wagon back up to the Springfield and changed the old solid casters for pneumatic tires. Then I took my son for a wagon ride around the perimeter of the yard. We "mud bogged" where my bus tore up the yard with foot deep ruts that are now full of standing water. Then we drove over to our neighbors house and took his toddlers for a ride with my son doing the steering. We got to the corner just one lot away from home and it started to sputter. I upped the throttle and the engine just died... D'oh! We were out of gas! I'd forgotten to refill it after the engine work... Good thing the whole assembly tops the scales at around 200 lbs. My son got a kick out of seeing me push it home. :)

IMG_5698.jpeg

I'm not sure if I like the duals with the wagon. Funny thing is I just bolted them up.

IMG_5700.jpeg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts