My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the newbie on MTF,

What I need to know, before I continue my search is what model Garden/Lawn Tractor has the correct transaxle that I am looking for to be reliable for my hilly terrain.

I have roughly 5 ac to mow, and a few hills that are killing my belt driven $200 MTD (17hp/42" deck) that I bought from a friend.

I am looking for suggestions on a reliable and not too old LT/GT that has the Tuff Torq transaxles: K62, K66, or K71. I think they will be able to handle the weekly grind- up and down the hills.

Any suggestions on which model Lawn/Garden Tractor I should be looking for??? Should I be considering a 4wd tractor to pull up the hills with the most safety/efficiency? I am not color loyal, but would like to stay with something that is post-yr.1990 as to limit maintenance liability.

I would love to hear from the experts!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Why wouldn't you want an older tractor???I'd recomend a Simplicity,they cut great and last a LONG time :fing32:.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
:MTF_wel2:..

IMHO..5 acres is a lot to ask for any machine.

Here are my machines that I use to mow 4.3 acres. They all work just about equal, the Ford 2N does handle about 2 acres of pasture grass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simplicity, John Deere, Cub Cadet, etc.....

I am mostly interested in something that comes in with the ability to get up and down the hills without breaking down regularly.

To be able to grade the crush-n-run driveway with a box blade would be a SUPER bonus.

Now, I think I have narrowed it down:
Hills, durable transaxle, box blade attachment, reliability... Anything else I should consider?

Models and makes please so I can continue the search.

Thanks!!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
The choices are close to endless without knowing a budget. My thoughts have been to get more than you think you'll need, because you end up doing more than you thought you would. With 5 acres to care for, even if you just mow, you need something that can withstand almost constant use in the mowing season; as you are also from NC (where?), I can relate to how the grass grows in this part of the US. This alone requires durability , because the hours will accumulate quickly. If you pull a cart, or want to use rear implements, even just a BB, you're definitely going to need a decent tranny under the seat pan.

I'm pretty much a JD guy, although there are other good machines out there that will fill the bill, Simplicity being one of them, but JD is what I know best. This is what I'd do, based on my own experience with 7 acres of my own, plus another 3 acres next door and across the street I help the elderly neighbors with, plus another 3-1/2 acres I mow about 10 miles away:

Minimum would be something like a GT235 (made in late '90s to early 2000's). 18 Hp B&S Vanguard or Kawasaki, depending on year. 48 or 54" deck, manual lift, no PS or hydraulics, K71 TT tranny. Takes a sleeve hitch and can handle a belt driven tiller.

Next up would be the GX345. Same frame as above, either 20 or 22 Hp Kawasaki (can't remember), PS, power lift, not sure about hydraulics, also K71. It's the top of the GT/GX line

Both the above are comparable to today's X5xx series, just opposite ends of the line.

Next would be one of the "Big X" models, such as the X485, X585/595 or X7 series. Frames are the same on all of them, with minor changes. Engines range from 24 hp gas to 27hp gas to 24hp diesel, all have some version of the K91 or K92 tranny. Some models are 2WD, some 4WD, and some have 4WS, and two have 4WD and 4WS (X729/X749) The early 4WD models (up to 2008) without 4WS are mechanical 4WD, the newest have hydraulic front drive and are fulltime 4WD.

Price range from the GT235 to the X748 will range from around $2000 for an average GT235 to about $13K for a new X748. The GT will handle the mowing fine, but if you want more on a regular basis, I'd go larger. The Big X's are really just very small tractors and are real beasts that can do whatever you need on your acreage.

So, what's your pleasure?

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself KH.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you’re willing to buy used, the best bang for the buck out there in my opinion is one of the Cub Cadet 32xx tractors.
Shaft drive hydro, shaft driven vacuum engaged deck, foot controls, locking rear end, hydraulic deck lift, power steering and a front PTO for a snow blower.
I’ve seen them with less than 500 hours in great shape for around 2k, we gave $700 for our 54" 3206 because it had a bad fuel pump.
It's a very capable nice ride mowing our 3 acre farm house yard. :fing32:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
another option is, dont mow 5 ac, use a chunk of it for something productive.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Cub cadet GT2554 or one of the 3000 series cub cadets. Or JD X500 or bigger. Or A JD 400 series, old 300 series, X400/X500/X700 series.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd have to agree with the CUT idea. I mow 5 hilly, off-camber acres & use a Yanmar 240 with a 60in belly mower. I use a 42-in Jacobsen around the house & trees to cut down on trimming, & Im STILL in the market for a 50+ in garden tractor that my wife can use simultaneously to cut down on time. The FEL on the Yanmar is great for snow, dirt, & a PTO tiller. With that much land & a gravel driveway, Id not be without an FEL.

CK

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
For that many acres on a budget I would say to go with an X500 series at a minimum to handle the hills and a 54 inch deck plus 1 or 2 48" offset trail mowers. You can get an 8 to 10 foot wide cut that way without having the tractor do all of the work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts