My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

here's a couple of pics of a tractor implement I came up with in order to break the hard, mostly rocky, ground in the Texas hill country. My tractors FEL alone is not enough and all I need it was an implement that would rip the rocks that are partially burried in order to level some of the spots in my property. I know,,, there are implements already in the market that do the same stuff but being the way I am I used mostly recicled materials & was able to make one for a fraction of the money.
The main "T" is made of a clothes hangin line pipe which was 6' tall and 6' wide. The claw section is only 2' wide with 3 teeth made of a 16" half pipe with a 1/4" membrane in the center for strenth. The pole is still 6' long and the base is also 2' long. As you can see the base is interchangable for another claw I made with a single tooth for trench cutting and burrying small pipes. The side chains are adjustable so the claws cut on 3 different possitions, left, center or right side. The top chain allows the claw to be lifted with the hidrolics.
The handi hitch is store bought, but the quick connect plate I made for the claw is simply 2 holes for the trailer balls and 1 small hole in the center in order to clip a pin to the plate so it doesn't come loose.

Thought I'd share with you'll since I enjoy looking at every pic of homemade stuff you'll make.

Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!

JCR
Fredericksburg, Texas.

Attachments

·
close enuff works for me
3,167 Posts
good looking claw , should rip the buried phone, electric and cable tv out of the ground real good:thThumbsU not that I ever did any thing like that

·
Registered
157 Posts
Neat looking rig that will do the job but after many years of giving safety meetings and watching out for hazards, I see a possible problem. It's a million to one chance but only has to happen that once. The possibility exists that if you hook on a big enough rock and your tractor has enough power, you could roll that rock up just right and catapult that drawbar and weights right up over your ears.
While we're on the subject, A lot of us drag limbs and logs behind tractors without giving it much thought but, if you're hooked 2 or 3 feet back on the log and the front snags an immovable object, it can flip or spin the log and wreak havoc on the tractor or operator.
Just some thoughts.
Smiley

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise!
I only use the tractor in the slow gear while dragging the claw. The front part of the claw that ataches to the "handyhitch" has a pin that keeps it from coming off or going up over the 2 hitching balls. So far I've been able to skid over the real big rocks since they're mostly flat, however, I've been able to pull several large ones when the teeth hook em just right.
Not to clear on the log pulling though. Do you mean the log can flip upwards if it was to get snagged on something and the top of the log can come down on you?
I'll be carefull!
Once again, thanks for the advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not to clear on the log pulling though. Do you mean the log can flip upwards if it was to get snagged on something and the top of the log can come down on you?
QUOTE]
Yep that's exactly what can happen!! With the chain hooked 2 or 3 ft back, the front of the log can snag on a root, stump, tree, etc., stop the it dead and pull the rest of the log around or over itself. My buddy got swatted good that way with small trees and brush he was dragging. Have heard of fatalities also. It's best to hook very short and close to the front and pick the log off the ground with the lift if possible. That's part of why they make logging arches.
Smiley

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I like your design, but I believe you might be a lot better off making the T connect directly to the 3PH, and losing the top chain in favor of a welded bar. I'd also find a collar to secure those weights to the rear.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
While we're on the subject, A lot of us drag limbs and logs behind tractors without giving it much thought but, if you're hooked 2 or 3 feet back on the log and the front snags an immovable object, it can flip or spin the log and wreak havoc on the tractor or operator.
Just some thoughts.
Smiley
I know what you mean smiley!! I've pulled quite a few logs/trees with the old Fordson; my prefered method of hookup is a choker around the near end of the log (1-2 ft from the end max) running to the drawbar under the transaxle and a second chain loosely looped under the same spot running up to the boom lift. This setup allows me to lift the leading end of the log/tree clear of the ground, making it much safer/easier to skid. One thing to watch, however, is that the log's weight doesn't lift the front of the tractor!! That's where the LOOSE loop under the boom is important; I've found that allowing this chain to do the pulling as well as the lifting will pop the tractor right up into the air! With this setup, I've been able to drag up to a 50' cherry tree (basically a straight stick with some branches on top) that was 10-12" at the stump up out of our woods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again guys!
Once again, thanks for the advise, I can always use new ideas.
I do have a l set of clamps for the weights, just in case. So far I haven't had a need for them since I use the whole contraption very slowly. As you can see the weights came from a weight lifting set and the 2 vertical rods also came from the solid steel weight lifting bar. The weight llifting bar comes with clamps at the ends to keep the weights from falling out, I welded a rod in between the clamps and they can be attached to the vertical rods anytime & be tighten with a wrench. The center chain allows me to adjust the boom, although once it's attached I don't have to adjust it anymore. The idea of using a fixed rod or pipe to join it to the mini boom pole or the hitch is a good one, specially if it ever decides to jump up on me.

Thanks for the idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts