My Tractor Forum banner

341 - 346 of 346 Posts
3,090 Posts
I never really had a problem with snow or ice on the ground but I am further south of you all. The temperature does drop down to below freezing. But also, its frozen in the roof gutters as well until the temperature rises..

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
I've been picking on little things here and there for the last month or so.

I finished installing the attic access in the garage, meaning trimmed the legs of the folding ladder to the correct final length and installing the feet.

This week I decided the mechanical room isn't any good without drywall around the sink and cabinets. My to do list includes installing a backsplash behind the counter, so I took it a step further. Keep in mind - I've really never done any drywall, but I've seen it done a million times, so how hard can it be, right?
The first realization I needed drywall was the 4 or 6" tall backsplash really didn't do much to cover the rest of the wall. Still too easy to drop stuff behind the cabinet, as we found out Christmas Day when oldest daughter dropped an 8 oz top sirloin back there, which thankfully we were able to recover and enjoy. The next realization was there aren't any outlets along that wall, unless they're hiding behind the cabinets. No problem, there is a GFCI outlet in the bathroom on the other side of that wall. Tie into that, now there are 2 GF outlets behind the cabinets about 6" above the countertop for ironing or radio or whatever. The next realization that ai had was there should probably be nail guards where all the plumbing is. Installed, except I need to remove a small piece of drywall to install one on a pipe behind it. Ran one short. I did a shady thing and labeled the piece where NOT to put a screw... What could go wrong, right?
Fourth realization is that I should have trimmed around the INSIDE of the switch and outlet boxes. No big deal... Joint compound fixes a lot of sins.
So a day or two later, we have some decent wall cover that looks lots better than ugly insulation. I don't know if I'll end up completely finishing it or not, since it's just a glorified laundry room after all. I'll at least prime it though, so I guess I'll be sanding the joints somewhat.

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Here's how it looks now.
I need to pick up another piece of board to re-do up toward the ceiling where I ran short. It'll avoid another seam and give me a chance to re-do around the duct I missed the trim on by like 2". Those were just scrap pieces anyways. The plumbing and duct work that you see prevents me from installing full height pieces. The seam up there will mostly be hidden by the pipe itself. Maybe it would have been easier to remove the pipe and then reinstall it with Fernco boots after installing the full height drywall, but oh well. Just a mechanical room.
It was kind of nice because the only electrical supplies I had to buy were the 2 outlet covers. I already had 12 ga Romex and 20 amp outlets, even though everything is only on a 15 amp breaker. It was leftover stuff from my pole barn wiring project.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,494 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Finally finished this one. Well, mostly. I forgot the mop guard at the store last week. I’ll get to it, eventually.

I painted it to match the rest of the basement. I had one screw pop when I pushed the backsplash to the wall, but I’m not too worried about it. The job isn’t great, but the worst joints are small and hidden in the shadows or behind the pipes. Probably not the easiest area to learn to drywall in, but at least it isn’t really prominent in the house.
The backsplash is exterior PVC trim so it’s 100% waterproof.

Attachments

341 - 346 of 346 Posts