·
Parts collector
3,494 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Nice!

I suck at digging even trenches and following grade. In part I blame the equipment. Feels like the stick is too short, so the digging diameter is small and the "touch up" reach is very limited at that kind of depth. I did learn to start using the bucket itself as a depth gauge. With the bucket completely sunk with the sides pretty much vertical, that was about 18". When I ran our builder's mini ex, I felt like I could follow a consistent line better. Maybe that had to do with the smoothness of the electric over hydraulic controls, though. I definitely think the longer stick makes it more forgiving and possible to basically make a finishing pass over a longer length of trench quite smoothly. I also learned how to use a backhoe by digging stumps. Not immediately learning any kind of finesse, so maybe I developed some bad habits.

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,477 Posts
Good one, Cat.:tango_face_smile_bi

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Now that everyones’ minds are out of the gutters me and my hoe dug, I can report more progress and stuff.

It’s been raining here a lot for the last few days, so the gutter drains are getting nicely tested. I think I should lay more drain tile to lower ground to ensure better drainage of the 3 drains that converge by the garage. There’s drain tile nearby on another gutter further away, so I think what might be happening is the water from the 3 drains flows back through the drain tile for the further away gutter. There’s low land nearby I can trench to so the water in that area has somewhere else to go. The other drains on the other side and front of the house work perfectly, though I might make a little more low land around them in the spring. One drain outlet was completely submerged. I know it won’t back up to the gutter because the house is like 6’ higher than the outlet. I can extend the one in front another 10-20’ into the woods also if I do so choose, since the hill extends further out in front.

We started assembling some walk in closet shelving tonight. It’s like it was made to fit in there! Closet is 10’x14’. Shelving is in 3’ and 4’ widths, all 2’ deep. The math works almost perfectly to cover all walls with shelving. It was meant to be! There’s some tags on it so we know each shelf hold a max of 500 lb, and each gang holds 2000 lb max. Very good industrial shelving units! They started life at 10’ tall, so we’re cutting them down to 7’ or 6’ if there’s a heat duct above them. I can weld the pieces I’m trimming off together to make more uprights for use elsewhere. That’ll be a later project.

Last night I hung lights in my man cave. That’s the first time I’ve ever used a concrete drill. Yes, please! It just blew holes right through the cement! It’s Very nicely lit now. Probably could have gotten away with 2 lights, but I think I’ll do 5. 4 are up so far.

I found one light switch (mechanical room) that I might need to move. It ends up behind the stupid door when it’s open ? . Bad planning on my part.

They’re laying carpet until Sunday to ensure we can move in next week. Still no cabinets / faucets though ? . They’ll be last.

Builder sounded like he would be willing to pay for storage for our stuff because they’re so far behind, but nothing is in paid storage. We’re all being pretty cool about the delays, but he’s gotten after a few of his subs, and fired some in the process for taking too long.

Got to try out the central vac to clean up a few messes tonight. Works good. VERY quiet. Unfortunately I split one piece of trim installing a vac pan last night. I should have pre drilled it... dummy. I’ll see if I can fix it this weekend. Should be easy to glue back together.

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Getting carpet this weekend. My job, completely unrelated, is to seal up the butcher block countertop going in the laundry/mechanical room. Builder is installing some utilitarian cabinets at my whiny request. I think we ran out of budget money for perfect matching units that would match the rest of the house, but these are close and much more than sufficient. The butcher block countertop is a different level of cool.

Also doing more closet shelving this weekend, as bedroom carpet is finished.

We also got the sidewalk this past week. I don’t recall if I posted a picture of it or not, so here it is. Something oddly satisfying about the way this gutter drain fits. Almost perfectly straight, and no water coming out running across the sidewalk. Pictures make it look crooked but the drain adapter is almost perfectly straight.

Bonus picture: builder running a really cool/loud concrete hole saw to route the main sewer outlet through the wall.

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
A bit more progress today(so far). Break time!

Got some more shelving up in walk in closet. Need to reconfigure a couple sections for better fitment and shelf usage. I have a couple ideas on how to do just that. I’ll need to take a few of my cutoff uprights and weld them together to make the small pieces into 7 footers. That’ll be a project tonight.

Also got the downstairs bedroom shelves (real simple) done. Fiddlefarted in the walk in and helped a friend winterize his trailer much of today so didn’t get a lot done.

Realized we had our mechanical room door swing the wrong way. A minor detail that will drive me crazy forever.

Carpet done in all but the 2 upstairs bedrooms. They’ll wrap that up Tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

Attachments

·
14,477 Posts
The carpet should make the place look "homey". That closet will make a great pantry, but I'm guessing you won't be using it for that. I didn't notice any expansion joints in the sidewalk. Do they not use them anymore?

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
The carpet should make the place look "homey". That closet will make a great pantry, but I'm guessing you won't be using it for that. I didn't notice any expansion joints in the sidewalk. Do they not use them anymore?
The carpet helps a lot. Got rid of some echoes.

It will partly be used for a pantry, yes. Along with lots of other things. I made 3 more uprights for shelves tonight. I have enough pieces to make one more. Pretty much all the walls will have floor to ceiling adjustable shelving.

There are joints cut into the sidewalk every few feet. Just none in the frame.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Mistakes were made :(
Many of them self inflicted. Mechanical room door swings the wrong way, so the light switch ended up behind it when it's open as mentioned above.

We're doing some battle with the door to the small upstairs bathroom, also. I think we turned down a pocket door for privacy reasons. That was our first mistake. I didn't want the door to swing into the hallway. Our second mistake. The bathroom is currently all but inaccessible. The door swings inward vary close to the sink, so there's almost no room to open the door, squeeze into the corner behind the off center pedestal sink, and close the door. I got to digging into finding out what went wrong. Turns out the door is 12" off from where it should be. Otherwise it would be OK. Although toilet might need to be a standard rather than elongated bowl. That means pretty much tearing out and re-building that wall. Not a quick rework. Need to find out what to do with it. I HATE a door that opens into the hallway, but it might be the best option. Builder's been super cool to deal with this whole time... He's gone above and beyond with many of the non-budgeted requests that got worked in (retaining wall, concrete columns, extra insulation, sliding door reversal, etc). All in all, this is pretty minor. It would be interesting to see the blueprint the framers worked off of, though, to see where the error originated. It was right in our initial layout.

The other minor detail that apparently fell on deaf ears when we tried to correct it - daughters' bedroom carpets they picked out got switched. I tried to get it corrected a couple months ago, but it's my handwriting on the original print. Apparently that wasn't the copy that got marked with corrections. I hope we'll be able to salvage some of the carpet in the ol' switcharoo.

On a positive note, we'll be starting to move in tomorrow! We'll get some closet stuff over when we finish the shelving which hopefully will be done before mid day. Appliances come tomorrow. Countertops and faucets will be finished tomorrow. I think painting the sliding door will be a winter project for me, along with a few other little details I'm too cheap to let others do (still need to finish plumbing some downspouts, finish the walls/ceiling of the man cave somehow, clear coat the stair rail, etc).

The REAL bummer is I'm having some back issues all of a sudden. Ended up in the ER in the wee hours of Sunday morning writhing in pain from lower back down left leg. Appaerwntly I have a pinched nerve... That sucks. Got a muscle relaxer shot that made my leg borderline useless all day yesterday, so absolutely nothing got done that I needed to do, so ended up another day behind. All the closet shelving should be finished by now. I'm walking with a bad limp, so I can already feel my thighs/groin getting sore. I ended up going to daughter's final marching band performance tonight, and I was running late so to speak, and ended up fast-gimping to the bleachers. That kind of did me in. I tried not to move around too much at work today after I finally got there. Went to urgent care to get re-asessed this morning. Got some prescriptions for muscle relaxers and steroids that should help. At least I don't feel like I have a permanent shin splint anymore. I can avoid bending/twisting somewhat, but that ouchie leg just wouldn't quit no matter what.

·
14,477 Posts
Sounds like you have sciatica. I had a very light dose of it a month or so ago and went to the doc to get a muscle relaxer. The back pain took more than a week to subside but the sciatica disappeared relatively quickly. You need to do basically nothing, which will be extremely hard considering your imminent move-in. Take the pills and try your best not to overdo the work. :goodl:

We have a small half-bath in the hallway that has an outward opening door. It is usually in the way when trying to get to the laundry room but we've learned to live with it and we don't have to go that way very often. You may have to get used to closing it every time you leave the bathroom.

3,090 Posts
Ted, that bathroom door can you place a sliding door on the outside of the bathroom or a pocket door that slides into the wall space? Just an idea to solve the limited space problem.

·
16,476 Posts
All right... I’ve had my fun.
Railing with 1” rebar!
I’m here to tell you... this thing is STOUT. Just the way I like it! I’m toying with the idea of clear coating it with laquer or enamel or epoxy or something...
The rebar will NOT be painted at this time.
//////////////////////
Try a coat or two of tung oil on the wood--and just clear coat the metal--so no rust...

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Ted, that bathroom door can you place a sliding door on the outside of the bathroom or a pocket door that slides into the wall space? Just an idea to solve the limited space problem.
If we were to do it over again, yeah... Sliding pocket door 100%. Next better thought would have been to ensure door in correct position, and maybe go with a 20" door instead of a 24". It'll be turned around to open into the hall.

Tomorrow they'll pretty much be finishing plumbing - countertops got done sans island. That should be done tomorrow.

Electrical finished today. Appliances came today (kitchen only). Ceiling fans got put up. Mechanical room light switch moved. More closet shelving installed. Door and drawer knobs all installed. Lots of final cleanup done.

Plumbing inspection and final energy audit Thursday.

Water heater is inside a maybe 3 gallon spill pan. I'm told it has to be per code. I got a kick out of that one, since the entire machanical room is inherent spill containment. I calculated about 180 gallon liquid capacity without escaping the mechanical room confines due to the floor being sunk down 2".

We started moving insome stuff, mainly clothes we had hanging in our current living quarters, so it will be easier to get stuff out of its current storage location.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Some pictures...
Also forgot living room and dining room furniture came over last couple days.

Oh yeah... pretty much finalized basement closet shelving. Not really photogenic though. Can’t really tell difference from before due to space constraints. I still need to build one more tall upright from my cutoff pieces and swap out with the short one.

Attachments

·
14,477 Posts
That's quite a transformation. The house is really starting to look like a home. :fing32:

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Started really moving in today. Brought two 16’ landscape trailer loads of stuff over, plus three 16 cubic foot totes. The basement walk in closet pretty much swallowed it all with lots of room to spare, but it’s mostly still packed in boxes. That shelving is awesome!

Plumbing got all completed, tested, and inspected today. Mechanical and electrical inspections passed also. Tomorrow is the energy audit, which we figure should pass.

Bank refinancing is going well. Knocked about 35 or 40% off our payment (yes, seriously... between the extra down payment and the 1.25% lower interest rate), so a HUGE plus there.

Carpet SNAFU will be dealt with next week, so looks like kiddos will stay next door for 1 more week. It’ll be like a little mini vacation for me and mama ?

The worst part today was waking up to this weather. It was nice we were able to back trailer into mom & dad’s garage, close the door, and load up on a dry tarp. Easy then to cover it up for transport to new house a few hundred feet away. Backed it under the porch, and could unload in nice dry conditions.

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #318 (Edited by Moderator)
More of the same today. More snow, more mud to slog through. Almost got the tractor stuck a couple times in 10” of mud. Part of it is fresh topsoil/compost in an area of the side yard where we had to back the trailer up under the porch to unload right at the basement slider. The other bad area is the driveway to the barn. I guess I didn’t scrape away enough topsoil before dumping about 10 yards of sand this summer. It worked until about a month ago when we started getting tons of rain. Well, guess I’ll have to redo it next year. No biggie.

Good news is we passed our inspections except we need house numbers posted, so we’re getting close to “official” move in!

This weekend we’re going to get stuff from my grandma’s basement. I think of that as stage 4 of this move. Stage 5 will be next week when our kids move in with us after their carpet is done. My mom and dad don’t want them to leave, anyways. Stage 1 was the “storage” area in mom and dad’s basement, stage 2 was the house stuff we had in our barn.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Congrats steddy, the design you like only bigger on the property you desired, can't beat that.

CCMoe

301 - 320 of 346 Posts