My Tractor Forum banner

221 - 240 of 341 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Deck pretty far along. Brick on front of house complete. Picking away at finish grading as best as my abilities allow me to. Still a ways to go with that one. Buddy of mine is going to help me with his skid steer and actual talent to finish the grading some day soon. I have it better now than what’s shown in the pictures. Figured out that I can point the tractor uphill toward the house and position the loader at the right height to compare the bucket to a straight line on the house to tell if the tractor is level, and therefore whereabouts how bad the slope is off. Doesn’t work well around corners, but the slope of the retaining wall hill is incredibly close!

Thinking more about how to do lowest maintenance landscaping possible.

Drywall should be pretty much finished this week (needs mudded and sanded).

Ready to form and pour concrete on back patio. Garage floor lowered pretty close to finish grade.

Attachments

2,078 Posts
Ted, we had commercial 6 inch gutters installed with commercial down spouts when we had our roof replaced with an architectural roof last year. They also installed gutter guards so no leaves would get in. You may want to look into those commercial gutters and guards.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
128 Posts
Looking good Steddy!

·
Professional Homeowner
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
I probably owe an update at this point.

I’ve Been back to hauling sand. Still well below the $20k budget for fill, but we’re over in other areas (shower trough drain upgrade, central vac, better insulation, etc). Still on target to hit the bottom line for the total building quote. If I haven’t been hauling, we’d likely be over the 20k and thus over for the entire project. Oh yeah... landscaping still to come. Probably another $20k into that :(

Concrete guys did the garages, front porch, and back patio. Tomorrow will be the apron in front of the garages. Garage drains go out to daylight for unlimited water flow - a big problem in our last home.

Drywall finally being mudded.

Deck nearing completion. Another pillar under the landing for the stairs down to grade.

Septic system installed.

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,821 Posts
What happened to the cement mixer in the middle of the floor? That was a nice accent piece.

·
Parts collector
2,770 Posts
Why do women do this to men? I’m expected to make a decision between these two. I’m going to NOPE out of this one. Or flip a coin.
:sidelaugh

·
Professional Homeowner
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #235 (Edited)
This was my weekend. Extract sand from the now semi-permanent pond with mini ex, load into dump trailer, cart it up to the driveway through the woods and down the road, turn tractor around to use jumper cables to help dump the trailer, pile it high, repeat like 35 or 40 times. Each load was at least 10 yards, likely closer to 11, including the maybe 2/3 yard in the bucket. About 27 scoops with the maybe 34” ditching bucket (1/3 yard not heaped as high as I had it). Sand was mostly wet and heavy. Fully loaded that trailer must have weighed 18,000 lb. tractor pulled it without objection, even uphill a bit lots of the way.

I Sort of graded it out in typical crappy Steddy fashion tonight. I think there might actually be enough there to have finish graded by someone who knows what they’re doing, and be about right. Driveway isn’t as steep as we figured it would be, since I had enough sand to grade out farther than originally planned (and about 25-30% wider, with much wider flatfish area than anticipated up by the concrete). Maybe this weekend I can get the dump trailer for another day or two and bring some more sand up for the yard.

Pond is butt ugly at the moment, but i’ll see if I can grade it out and unsteepify the 10’ cliff later. The bottom is pretty hard, so I might be able to get the loader in there to do something with it. I don’t know if Oak Island will live. I think I got too close, and the sand can’t hold enough moisture to keep it alive.

I can’t believe people actually get paid to run equipment to do this stuff!

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Buddy is coming Monday to grade driveway and yard with skid steer. He was a pro operator for 13 years, and now owns a landscaping company that does hardscapes. He’s good.

Started staining ship lap tonight. Got about 1/2 way through putting cheap oil stain on the back side to keep it from drying out. We’ll get the other half tomorrow, maybe do a second coat because I’ll have a bunch of the 5 gallons left over. Looks like I’ll only go through about 1/2 of it. Oops... should have just bought 3 gallons. There went $40. Maybe I’ll find a use for it some day. It’ll keep a long time sealed back up. We need to do an area that’s 12’ wide and 40’ long, basically. In a couple days we’ll be able to lay down the higher priced colored coat on the front.

Using a couple 16’ long saw horses, laying out 4-6 boards, spraying stain on with farm sprayer, then following that with brushes. Goes pretty quick.

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Ugh... just wrapped up for the day staining ship lap for porch. Backside is done, and we’re about 1/2 way through the front side. It’ll take about 4 hours to finish up.

Also tomorrow i’ll need to insulate under porch. That should only take a couple hours.

·
Professional Homeowner
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Some photogenic progress this week indeed. More siding and exterior trim, which is almost done. They got rained out today, probably will tomorrow also. They took some shelter under the porch, and were able to get the aluminum soffit in place most of the area. The insulation in the floor above is really a hodgepodge of mostly stuff I had left over. Use it or pitch it, so I used it. There’s a mix of R19, 25, and 13. Different colors and brands. Most areas have at least one layer of facing, some have two. R19 got backed up with R13 or another layer of R19. R13 got double up in about 35-40% of the area.

In the porch our builder started the ship lap.

Garage got stairs and a landing that I hate... takes up too much floor space. Need the landing for building code though, since it’s so many stairs. With my family it’ll be a shoe and junk collector. That’s what we have the mud room for dang it!

Interior doors delivered today. All solid core. Those things weigh about 50 lb each!

Drywall just about all mudded.

Driveway got graded by a friend who I now owe another big favor to (same one that loaned me the Dresser loader this past spring). There were probably 40 extra yards of sand that found their way to the side yards. He’s just plain old good with that skid steer. Really neat to watch. Unfortunately the rain today washed out under the concrete driveway apron. I replaced that dirt plus some tonight and toe kicked it in as best I could. It’ll be jammed in there better later. All told he took out about 8” to make room for gravel topped with crushed asphalt.

Attachments

221 - 240 of 341 Posts