My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It FINALLY happened! Our dream property, an 18 acre wooded/cleared/pastured/pond/maintained oasis, became available after 20 years of hoping and waiting for the right time. Needless to say, near full asking price was IMMEDIATELY paid before it hit the open market. The property is a relatively flat parcel adjacent to my parents’ 5 acre homestead. The parcels used to be all one and owned by the same (amazing and wonderful) family. Looks like they are one family owned once again. And only about 1 mile away from 2 major highways and 2 miles from major retail and such. The best of all worlds! Privacy, but close to town, work, schools, restaurants, stores, etc.

Next will be to finish selling our current home about 10 miles away, and start the building process. We’re pretty much cloning/mirroring/updating our current home. Needs more garage space, walkout basement, and mud room. Oh yeah... bigger shower, no jacuzzi tub, dual sinks, etc etc etc. same basic floor plan and square footage though. I know EXACTLY what we want now, including a light switch here, outlet there, and one more heat vent right there.

Property also includes 30x60 pole barn a couple maybe 200’ from where we want to build, complete with electric. Here’s some teaser pics! Purchase agreement included a clause that the former owners have use of 1/2 the barn, but they’re really good friends of the family and they’ve treated me like family for 30+ years, so I don’t mind. It probably won’t be this clean ever again!

·
Administrator
16,736 Posts
I don't know?:confused: If it doesn't have pictures... did it really happen?:thisthreadisworthle

Not trying to be a PIA :sorry1: but we really are anxious to see the spread. Know from previous posts that this has been in the works for quite a while and glad it has now come to fruition. Congrats.
MikeC

·
Professional Homeowner
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From when I brush hogged with my 1940 9N last year...
At that time, I didn’t know for sure if they were going to sell it to us. I just enjoyed taking care of it, and the seat time ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,178 Posts
Congratulations, it looks great!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Thats awesome! Exciting times for sure.. Congrats!!

·
Administrator
13,529 Posts
Very nice, Ted. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
13,182 Posts
Looks like a great place! I'm envious of the trees!!

·
Administrator
16,736 Posts
Great looking place Ted. Gonna be a lot of work to get everything the way you want, BUT well worth it. Have fun on this journey. Already having that out building makes it a great spot for storing stuff during the construction phase.
MikeC

·
Professional Homeowner
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
We have our closing date, well, closing in I guess. Second week of August, then we need to be out of our house within 8 days.

It was kind of bitter sweet yesterday - I fertilized the lawn for the last time. I edged the driveway for the last time. I think in a week or two I'll be trimming hedges for the last time.

It's been nice knowing this date is approaching. We've been kind of moseying our way over that way. I've brought almost everything from my garages (paints, cleaners, snow equipment, 2 tractors, most tools, misc junk, etc) all over to the barn and put it away on shelving, as much as I can, or hung it from the walls like shovels and stuff. My wife has been lovingly wrapping all her knick knacks, pictures, fragile stuff, etc, and carefully boxing it away. All our CDs, DVDs, and some furniture has been making it's way over there as we have time to pick on it. I'm not sure we'll even need to take any time off work to move the way this is going. The heaviest thing in the house - my gun safe - will remain with the house. I juat bought a new and bigger one for the new place, and set it up in an undisclosed location not in my parents' basement or pole barn :) . Some gun stuff has even made its way to it's temporary new home.... Mostly just bulk ammo.

My dad graciously decided to offer up his space in the garage to my wife for her 2017 Explorer. Probably makes more sense for that to be in the garage rather than his 2004 trail blazer... I'd do the same for my family if they had nicer vehicles, too. I think my '16 Super Duty will spend the winter in our unheated barn :( . It's used to climate controlled winter storage. I'll kick my '40 9N and brush hog out to the lean to. It spent last winter in my yard... The lean to will be a HUGE upgrade for it :). The brush hog will also be sheltered in there. My Massey GC2300 with snowblower might make its way into dad's barn, since he has power and I don't want my power turned on yet. It benefits from a warmer, or at least a battery booster now and again. We won't use the power in our barn enough to justify the minimum charge until we build our new place. My truck starts with no issues in subzero weather, even without using the block heater. I rarely drive it in the winter, anyways. It made its way on the road maybe 4 times last winter, mainly just to drive it around to keep oil seals lubricated. I'll wait till warm days to do so this winter.

Looks like our first major expense is being incurred already - the 40 year old barn is asking for a new roof. I MIGHT be able to coat it, but there are actually some holes in it that the coating may not seal. I could caulk them, if I can find them all. The inside of the roof is plastered with styrofoam insulation, so I can't see many of the light gaps. Yikes! I think it will be over $2500 just for materials, but definitely worth it in the long run.
I already had to dig a little of the side metal out of the ground, as undergrowth and erosion kind of added a couple inches to the foundation. I replacd it with some little 1.5" or so rock we had laying around from a drain field project last year at my dad's. On the plus side, the side sliding door opens easier now that it isn't dragging on the ground.

I used some ant granules above where I kept finding a pile of sawdust in the corner. A week later, it looked like ant Holocaust in there. Dead ants and eggs piled up in a mound half the size of a basketball! Too bad that means there's rotted wood in that corner from the leaking roof... The edge molding pulled up and away from the roof a bit. Another issue on the list. I think we'll extend out the eaves 24" or so while we're at it, so not as mich snow piles against the sides in the winter. There's enogh snow to dent the metal pretty bad. I'm hoping that when I sloped it away a little that may help also. I can use the old roof material to build a big lean to off one side for sheltering my 9N and maybe a couple other machines and equipment that I don't need taking up interior space.

·
Professional Homeowner
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Closing will be sometime early 2nd week of august, I think. That gives us about 3 weeks.

So far, so good with the move. I got pretty much everything out of my detached 2 stall, and much out of my attached two and single stall. It's all in the barn on the same shelving it was on here, pretty much in the same places, but a bit more condensed. Almost all of our walk in closet is out. Most accent and non-essential furniture is out, and in my Grandma's nice, dry, clean, empty basement. Her house was built barrier free and has interior/exterior doors that have to be 40" wide at least, and super wide hallways - handicap purposed house that still has the world's ugliest berber non-shag carpet probably from the mid 70's in REALLY good shape! I swear I remember I thought that carpet was old in the mid 1980s.

I got 4 of those 4'x4'x3' reuseable plastic shipping tote things that my work was getting rid of on my 16' open landscape trailer at the moment, along with a full one in the barn, an empty one to bring home, and two wire baskets about the same size sitting in my back yard. We're putting stuff in those giant totes we won't need until our house is finished next year. They stack nicely, and I can lift them with my Massey's loader and clamp on forks, so they take up a fraction of the floor space. When we move again next year, I'll just carry them to the new house a couple hundred feet away from the barn, set them by the door, and unload them just as easily. Works pretty slick, I guess. An enclosed trailer we could just throw stuff into would be nice, too, then just carry it into mom/dad's or Grandma's basement, or the barn. It's nice in the totes because it's kind of protected.p, even though most of it is in other rubbermaid totes and cardboard boxes. They should help to protect wife's fragile stuff a little better, too. Work also got rid of a bent pallet jack that still kinda works, so I can most the totes and other large items like couches around the barn easily. There's a pile of 9' wide bay pallet racking up for grabs, too. I think that will work WONDERFULLY to get our couch, TV, and other large items off the floor. I'll just grab some used 60" skids we're always getting rid of, throw big stuff on them, cover it with plastic just in case there's roof leaks, and throw it up on the racks. I'll have no trouble getting it up about 5' off the floor... It's light enough my loader (possibly supplemented with some manual muscles from buddies) should be able to lift it.

So far, it's been pretty moderate paced and easy. I'd say we might be 1/2 way done getting out of here.

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dug a hole last night to find ground water level. Our pond is dry right now, so the ground water table must be pretty low, even with the few days of rain we had in the last week. I got standing water about 5.5 feet down, well below the thin layer of hard pan a foot below the surface. The hole is in an area that is lower than where we’re building by a guesstimated 2 feet.

Myself and the contractor I want to hire (but not sure we can afford him!) have determined the basement floor will be 8 to 12 inches above grade at the highest point of the building site. I still want a network of drain tile and sump pump crocks at both ends of the basement.

About 200’ away from our building site at about the level I dug the hole, there’s about a 3 or 4 foot drop off. In 25 years of memory, I’ve never seen standing water at the foot of that hill, so I think we’ll be safe. There are several places that were often swampy back in the day, but never are any more.

I’ll have to post up some pictures later. Phone won’t allow it. I think I got down about 3’ with my loader in a fairly short distance. I pretty much dropped the front tires into the hole as I dig, which really allowed for a sharp digging angle. Would have been easier without the mid mount mower deck on there.

·
Professional Homeowner
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Figured out the pics. Note the spade stuck in the bottom of the hole. Handle must be about 40” long and then some. The 2x4 is level on the surface of the hole.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 341 Posts