My Tractor Forum banner

The more I look, the more I like my MTD

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Lance Skene 
#1 ·
Long story short... Ive been researching for a tractor I can build a FEL on, I think I'll step up to a small acreage tractor instead of a GT but the process has left me even more impressed with my Columbia/MTD 960, I brought home a Ford LGT 165 yesterday mostly because the price was right but also because another MTF member said he has a loader on one and it works well, which I dont doubt... however side-by-side it cant pull like my Columbia, it doesnt have the weight for traction is probably the biggest problem, it certainly pulls better than my '92 Cub Cadet, but the Columbia is more 'tractor' than either of them for just plain brute pulling power and traction.

I had no clue about GTs when I bought the Columbia last year but apparently I got lucky... if I need something moved, pushed, pulled, dragged around the yard... that old gearbox is the 'can do' machine to jump on.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Ive looked at few 990s and if one comes up for the right price I'll drag it home just for experimental purposes, almost drove 5hrs to look at one yesterday for $400 but this Ford came up an hr away for $300.

Im sure 990s are great machines but the 960s are simple 'Brute Force and Ignorance' .... if you push hard enough and dont know any better....

It Will Move.

#5 ·
Sure is a nice looking machine Lance. I have never run across a 960. If I do, it will be added to the herd of 990s.

#7 ·
Im pretty sure you'ld be impressed, it might be a little brother to a 990 but its such a basic down to bizness machine, and very little to go wrong with it, I cant imagine anyone not being impressed, but the lack of a hydro system is kind of its drawback, my solution was the winches on both ends, rear winch mount isnt heavy enough for major grunt work, it just lifts the 3pt, front winch/blade mount is all 1/4 plate with support going back under the front axle to a 6" cross member under the pto, big plus now is that I never have to swap out attachments, I dont use the mower much so its not on there, but it can be put on without having to remove anything else except the drive shaft for the tiller if it happens to be on at the time, tiller itself can stay. Im gettin too old to be swappin things around everytime I need to do something, or lazy maybe but whatever...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.