My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am half finished with my MTD 990 restore I am already planning for my next big project.

I while back I picked up a 1949 MM ZAU. Here on the east coast you do not see many of these tractors.
And like the MTD this will be a complete restore meaning this will be taken down to the last bolt. Not only will this be the biggest tractor but the oldest I have ever attempted to restore.

This tractor was running when the guy got it but he used it for a lawn ornament lol.

WARNING!!!
What you are about to see may contain unsuitable images.
Viewer discretion is advised.

As you can see she is a bit rough around the edges.
Ok, it is rough all over.
Motor was stuck when I got it. So I removed the upper half of the engine.
Front rims are rusted out, rear tires are rotted. Radiator looked ok, but guy at shop said it was rotten.
A lot of work to do here.

· Keeper of the bees-Now deceased
2,413 Posts
A lot of work is sort of a under statement don't you think. A lot of work will just go into finding and getting the parts.
The rest will require a whole bunch of work.

· Registered
640 Posts
Get BOOKS. These are much different lay-out then most tractors, sideways valves, heads don't come off top, odd clutch actuators and lots of things. Getting pistons out of those blocks is major task, have BTDT! Chevy valves (exhaust)work for both valves on these. Oil filters no longer avail and are adapters offered out there for screw-on filters. Ebay has those or fellas on MM site, which you should also join. I go real slow on my builds and takes years, not months or weeks like some seem to be able to do, ha! You will like this thing if you get it going. Have hydraulics or not? No three-points on these, good for pulling mostly. Really go quick down road in 5th too. I would change over to 12 volt and use an alternator, much easier starting. YOu can use same starter, no changes, coil needs change or Resistor to use, and should make stuff Neg ground, not Postitive, which these are stock. Can use same wiring harness to do this if good shape, or can get one new from Motec off the MM site for good price, that is what I would do. I've gotten those for my MM's in past. He does carbs and governor's too if needed. Tires are most costly part. If you have 38", is easier to find used ones, and a little cheaper to by new than any odd-sized ones are. Deere wheels if that size can be found also, have same 9 bolt centers and can still find in narrow widths. OR, Miller has the outer wheels, no centers if you can pin or weld in the centers from your old ones, have done that on some too. Easier to weld in that to rivet, believe me. Just bolting them on makes it hard to keep bolts shallow to keep from poking into tubes. Having bolts point outward looks bad to me. Forgot to mention the manuals on here are pretty good for reprints. Jensales makes those, Lots on epay too.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info G L Grumpy.
Have not had time to start on this one as of yet. Was waiting for cooler weather to finish the 990. At the moment so many projects and so little time.
I am going to order some books for this one. I almost thought about selling it and find something more modern. But decided to keep it.

· Registered
640 Posts
I'm going to be doing an R now too. About same on engine, but hoping it won't be coming apart much. I have done a couple of Z's, including a stuck one, that never did come clean and had to find new blocks for that one. Looking for small bolt pattern front wheels if you come accross any you don't need.

· Premium Member
6,754 Posts
Looks very familiar. I restored our 1950 ZAU which was in similar condition. It had a stuck engine, bad bull gears in the rear end, and a lot of rusted out sheet metal. We found a donor tractor at a local scrap yard and between to two we were able to put one good one together. :goodl: with the project. here is a vid on our ZAU and a few pics.

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Very nice restoration! it's always good seeing a tractor brought back to life.:fing32:

^ditto

Best of luck on the resto :). My uncle out in British Columbia has a MM collection, I have never seen it but I hear he has over 20

· Professional Amateur
1,267 Posts
Good luck on that project! She definitely needs some work! :fing32:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.