My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my $40.00 McCulloch Mac 160S burned its first tank of fuel today. I found the saw in a pawnshop. The chain and sprocket were totally worn out, the shopkeeper said he had no idea if the thing ran or not. I got it home and gave it a good cleaning and checkup. No real problems were noticed and the engine has 75 lbs of compression which is comparable to my other 2 stroke machines. I put on a new spark plug, air filter, sprocket, and bar and chain. Anybody know how to replace the fuel filter on this thing?

The saw started right up on the third pull. It accelerates easily and seems to idle just fine. I put it to work cutting a dead sycamore in the field. It seems to cut like a champ, noise and vibration wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Overall it was a very pleasant session of woodchip therapy. Using this saw reminds me of the hours I spent cutting with Dad's Homelite Super 2 when I was a kid. Just awesome!!
:thThumbsU

·
Caterpillar repairman
13 Posts
Fuel filter should be inside the tank. they can be a little hard to fish out because they are attached to the end of the pickup hose.A piece of stiff wire with a hook bent on the end usually will pull it right out.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This machine uses a big piece of felt or other fibrous material in the bottom of tank as a filter, I don't know if its a big PITA to replace or not. Apparently this design doesn't do as good a job of suctioning fuel from the tank as the more common hose end filter does. Today when I was using the saw it died on me while I was cutting a limb. The bar was pointed almost straight down and the fuel tank was about 70% empty. Apparently what happens is when the tank gets low on fuel holding it in this way uncovers the filter at the bottom of tank allowing it to suck air into the fuel lines. I refueled it and it would just sputter but not start.

I left it sitting and went and did some other stuff for awhile. After 20 minutes or so I tried it again and it fired right up. I cut some more with it and it behaved normally. I believe that once the filter is uncovered it takes some time for it to become saturated with fuel again and allow the air to work its way out. At some point I would like to replace the filter as I'm sure its original. An adventure for after I get the yard cleaned up.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the Mini Mac again today and it turned in another great performance. Now, the way I had the carb adjusted caused it to 4 cycle alot under load, the sound was more of a quick rumble than a loud buzz. I leaned the H needle a bit and got the loud buzz that is associated with a 2 stroke while cutting, the saw seemed to cut alot faster too.

Adjusted this way, I could feel a little more heat coming from the cylinder under my right hand. This worried me so I adjusted the needle to about halfway back to where it was originally. Now, it seems to alternate between the rumble and buzz. What should I do? The saw sure cuts alot better with the carb leaned out, but I'm worried I may shorten its life. Obviously, running rich with reduced rpm puts more of a load on the machine and likely creates more combustion deposits. I really like this little saw and want it to run for years to come. Opinions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts