My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am visiting my daughter in Minneapolis, and pulled up a C/L search on "garden tractor", and about fell off my chair. I had no idea how slim the pickings are out in Calif. Until I saw the 250 ads here. There are Multiple Cub Cadets, multiple JD 110's, multiple Wheel Horses, a nice MTD 990, Simplicities, multiple Bolens and Bolens implements (a blower for $60), Case 646 Project I would love to have, a Johnson loader for a bargain price, etc., etc.

I may have to drive back here with a car trailer on our next visit, you mid-West guys have a huge selection of nice stuff back here.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, it's God's country, all right!

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I have been told the standard of living here is better than many other places in the US. Sounds like it could be true. Another gauge would be to look in the free section though who knows how many of them are bogus.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
My guess is those fellows push snow around ALOT,and that's mostly what they use--garden tractors.I've heard'em talk about garden tractor junk yards???? You got to have plenty of them to need scrap yards for'em!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've noticed that a lot of the independent mower shops around the midwest, at least up here, have a few old "gems" hiding out back too. Something to look for guys!

·
10,839 Posts
Steevo, that nice 990 over is Wi has been on for 4-5 months, we're waiting for one more price drop. :fing32:

Same on the 646. :00000060:

I live NW of the Metro, and about 5 miles from an independent small engine repair shop. He used to be a Husqvarna dealer, and before that he was a Bolens dealer in their heyday. I would bet he has 15-20 older Bolens out there behind the shop. He says those are the parts machines. I did not ask for, nor was I offered, a tour of the shed with the runners.

Funny about pricing, I consider our prices to be out of whack with what I read on this forum. Those PA boys, now they're in cheap GT heaven.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
No we are not... Everyone here are hoarders, or do not respect the fact that money is tight right now... $300 for half a Lawnboy...

·
Banned
271 Posts
LOL... Yeah up here in MN there is plenty on CL. I look over the listings every day or so. I noticed a lot of them showing up on the Minneapolis list.

As for hauling a bunch home next trip... If you snag any with a snowblower on them you can stop by my place and sell me the blowers! Cause they are an easy sell here. Anything working will sell the first snowfall. I usually try to stock up on used blowers during the summer, attachments, walkbehinds, you name it. Gets to looking like a junkyard then the first snow falls and all gone in a matter of days and i can start over again in the spring.

We do have some OPE junkyards in these parts. I don't know of any in particular other than one in Austin MN. I only know of him because he is a big ebayer, i bought a part off him about a year ago and asked him what else he had laying around, he asked what you need, that opened up the conversation to the fact that he has like two acres of stuff!

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Picking are really slim down here in So Cal too Steve. I think most of what was around went to scrap in the last few years. A couple years ago the wife drove out to Iowa to see family. I found 3 Cub's out there on eBay and if I could of won them, she volunteered to rent a trailer and bring them home for me. Didn't win any of them. So instead, she had me some paint custom mixed out there for when I do get around to restoring my 149. Due to AQMD laws down here, we can't get custom mixed oil based paints, just h2o based or automotive paints.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Steevo, you sure are right, there are a lot of them around here. Yet another 600 series Case came up in the area, as well as a ton of other stuff pretty regularly.

If one looks at where a lot of these older machines were made, they seem to be quite a few right here on the southeastern part of WI. Bolens, Simplicity, Case, Gilson, just to name a few.:fing32:

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Theres alot of tractor of every kind, well except sears lol. but the price are CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
We can find "deals", but they seem to be few and far between. Usually most people around here think that the garden tractors are there retirement fund, and most list lawn tractors as garden tractors.
Seeing an MTD vari-drive 12+hp with 42/43" deck and a bad engine or needing major work,,,,,,, and they want $200 for it is not uncommon. One of those with a bad engine is only worth scrap to me. The mower decks are hard to sell. The rear axles are hard to sell, the grill is usually banged up beyond repair,,,, just not much there of value.

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
574 Posts
True, there sure seems to be a lot of lawn and garden tractors around the area. Listings on CL and eBay come and go.

Some times prices are reasonable, and some times not. Just because it's old, doesn't means it's "collectable" or has any more than scrap value. I've seen prices all over! I keep my eyes open for any MTD 990 models, and they do pop up every once in awhile - some reasonable, some not.

It's been my experience that checking out some of the older small engine shops and old dealers will yield some interesting finds.

Rich

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
It started at $1,200.
lol, they are a bit rude if you ask me, I called them about 2 weeks ago about trading my locked up farmall H for it lol
and they said they where interested in it and wanted pictures, I sent them pictures and never got a call or a text back. figures :dunno:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts