My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Just John Deere
746 Posts
HarryC,

Yeah, I kinda like 455's also. I did have four but sold one.

Yes, you NEED a 3 point hitch. I have a 3 point sprayer, aerator, rear blade and 450 tiller for mine.

I have a 54" deck on my 425 and a 60" on a 455. In my opinion, the 60" deck does a better job that the 54".

This grass was cut with the 60" deck.

455 Tripletts Rear.jpg

455 Tripletts Side.jpg

GotDeeres

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
What is the word on adding the 40 FEL to the AWS version of the 455? I'm sure JD does not recommend it, but it is there a work-around?

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Very nice machine, and you proved it is better to wait for what you want than to just keep buying lesser machines. :thThumbsU
The Meguires usually comes out sooner or later, Ultimate Compond fixes most anything :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
35,303 Posts
What is the word on adding the 40 FEL to the AWS version of the 455? I'm sure JD does not recommend it, but it is there a work-around?

There was a thread on that a long time ago UT. It showed step by step what you need to do. You are correct JD does not recommend that attachment for there AWS GT's.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Thanks PA318!

Yes, I remember that thread very well. But that was for the X700 AWS machines. A few years back I had studied up on what needed to be done to those, and of course Saleen's thread is one of the best resources.

Today I was wondering about the 445/455 AWS machines, and whether they have the same FEL compatibility issues as the X700 Series? I do know the 455 uses a very different sub-frame arrangement than the X700 Series.

But I should really ask in another thread -- this one's for Harry to show off his new machine.:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
15,505 Posts
When I first joined this site 2 years ago, I started looking at tractors I'd like to own, and I saw a picture of a perfect 455 Diesel that stuck in my memory. I read up on and studied this model and decided I had to have one. Fast forward 2 years and I found one that met all my criteria... honest reasonable price, no more than 1000 hours, and decently maintained. I think I found the one and it arrived on Thursday. I haven't done much to it yet, just changed the oil and buffed it out (god bless Meguiars and Carnuba). The lower hydro control is stuck because the PO used it for mowing only since 2002. I have to go through the deck yet, but it cuts well and is quiet. I also replaced the fuel cap and the rear taillight lenses and I put the reverse pedal upgrade on it. So here is my (1996) new ride...with original paint and 60" deck. She looks OK I think for 17 years old. One unique thing is the hand stitched custom seat.

That is a very nice looking machine. How do you like the AWS?

·
Gear Driver
332 Posts
Wow! She's a beauty Harry! Congrats on finding your white whale:thThumbsU

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks Hammy. Larry AWS is really nice. For such a large machine I can spin around trees and get much closer than I could with conventional steering. if you have a lot of obstacles on your property I highly recommend it. If you want a loader...get 2 wheel.

·
Super Moderator
15,505 Posts
I have alot of stuff to m ow around and my X729 gets around them better than my Scag did and it only takes me 15 minutes longer to mow my whole property and doesn't beat me to death like the Scag did.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts