My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight working on the old girl I decided I'd do a bit of an MTF post on the Little Mule and why she's special to me.

As many may or may not know old blue was 16th Christmas gift from grandpa turcheck :thThumbsU A 91 f150 XLT Lariat 4X4 302 5 speed short bed. Second from the top of the line in 91. And a great teenagers truck. Which this vid is only year and half old now but this truck does take me back few years in life and feel abit younger
https://youtu.be/ZPv-ngwyhA4

P1010533.JPG Only Pic i have of the arrival from Florida Jan 1st of 08. Rebuilt motor with less than 100,000 on the rebuild

P1010534.JPG It wasn't long me and grandpa had her in the shop doing some major surgery on the drivers side frame rail. The truck ran a boat marina down in Florida all by herself. Fifth wheel hitch in a half ton rusty frame rail from in and out the salt water. Was actually half rotted threw on the drives side. We cut a rail from another truck and scabbed her back together :thThumbsU

P1000785.JPG She was my one and only truck till 2013. During the frame job the frame was painted a new clutch and throw out bear installed among a few other small things

P1000218.JPG Only ran her one winter in Pa 08-09 season. By mid 09 I picked a 91 bronco same year by chance to pull some weight. And keep my be loved truck out of salt. Both being the same year but are the most polar opposite things you'll ever drive. Old blue being a 302 and 5 speed standard. And the Mighty Bronco with the 351W and the E4D auto trans.

As many say once i had them both running and driveing well it was the start of an era With 2 legends.

The pair ran and worked together as the highway trucks till july of 2013. When the bronco was retired from her road dutys when her cancer went from serious to terminal and gave old blue a cool set of rims. But notice i never did get rid of the bronco. Maybe another thread one day :hide:
P1010815.JPG
Me and The Little Mule always had a goal. Run as many miles as we can. With a rig with 500,000 miles on it. Things happen stuff wears out.
P1000810.JPG Theres a long list of stuff I've done to her over the years, clutches, universal joints, steering column( yes you can wear that out), water pumps, steering pump ect.

Now fast forward to 2014 and are goal was hit 507,000 miles that year. I was on track to hit it till one day I came home from work pulled in the end of the drive. Let her sit an idle as I walk to the mail box and hear on big metal on metal clang. My heart sunk as I turned to go what did you roll away and hit now little mule? Parking brake never worked well different story.

Anyhow this was the sound. I had just drove 20 miles round trip home from work and the snap ring failed as it was idleing in the drive go figure

P1020163.JPG

P1020164.JPG

P1020165.JPG
Old girl always was good to me and never let me down when I needed her the most. I remember nobody was home that day so a rescue party would have been a few hours. She held together and threw the fan threw the rad and only busted on core. I picked the fan up and quickly drove her to her parking spot.

Ordered the water pump and rad nothing out of the norm for me and Big White was handleing things then
P1010234.JPG

When I put the water pump on I must have broke the seal to the timeing cover and well she looked like old faithful when I started it. I was late fall and I drove her 2 miles to the gas station to fill her up and let her sit for winter. Took 2 gallon of antifreeze to go 2 miles.

I have done the timeing chain cover gasket in the past maybe 2 years ago. But that leads me to what I was up to today. Finally fixing it and with starting this thread in hopes to keep updateing it

Anyhow a few pics of tear down complete :fing32:

P1020744.JPG As you can see im fairly deep. Everything seems alright. I notice the bearings in the smog pump are getting noisey. Add that to the list lol

P1020745.JPG Just a few parts there. And I have everything cleaned up and ready to reassemble for tomorrow if I feel like working in the heat. Will be nice to have a brick nose back on the road again :D

Sorry for the long post and I hope to keep Old Blue going as my buddy's from high school called her the high mileage legend loud and proud :dunno: :sidelaugh Never did mess with the exhaust grandpa bought her that way :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
31,287 Posts
nice work!! You know.... Id be hard pressed not to have grabbed the 351 out of that bronco... :)

Rust is the biggy these days. I have a 95 bronco sitting because of it. Not sure how much work you have done on small block fords, but a few tips... On those long bolts that go through the waterbump and timing cover, put a light coating of antiseze on the shank of the bolt. The steel bolt tends to corrode into the alloy timing cover. Also not a bad time to check the condition of the timing chain wile you are there.

·
1,778 Posts
A good truck is like a good friend.

It hauls a**.

It never leaves you stranded, never lets you down.

You can sleep in in when the Old Lady is... that.

It gives you what you need, and you give it what it needs.

Nice mileage, keep 'er going. :fing32:

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice work!! You know.... Id be hard pressed not to have grabbed the 351 out of that bronco... :)

Rust is the biggy these days. I have a 95 bronco sitting because of it. Not sure how much work you have done on small block fords, but a few tips... On those long bolts that go through the waterbump and timing cover, put a light coating of antiseze on the shank of the bolt. The steel bolt tends to corrode into the alloy timing cover. Also not a bad time to check the condition of the timing chain wile you are there.
:thanku:

And like I said I never got rid of the bronco. She's a yard truck / mud truck now :thThumbsU All it really needed is a body. But it did leak every fluid except brake fluid and power steering

P1020735.JPG I put up a shed special for her

I've done tons to these small block fords. Mainly timeing chain cover gaskets. They always leak :dunno: Take it apart redo it and your good for a year or your next water pump change or what ever comes first :dunno:

I re torque the bolts every so often and still they leak. I was thinking about a timeing chain this time checking my service manual for allowable slop is 1/2 inch deflection. Which I am with in that so I'll let it alone for now.

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good truck is like a good friend.

It hauls a**.

It never leaves you stranded, never lets you down.

You can sleep in in when the Old Lady is... that.

It gives you what you need, and you give it what it needs.

Nice mileage, keep 'er going. :fing32:
:thanku: And my thought exactly. Only time she ever let me down was when the clutch plate blew apart. Found out I had to step up to a raceing clutch pack to get it to hold together for a 6 grand shift :duh: Partly my fault :hide: But that clutch has been in there since 08 now.

But I was only a mile from the house and my buddies came and helped me push off to the side of road. Went home got the car dolly and drug it to are shop an hour away that was friday night. And drove it back to school monday morning :thThumbsU

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progress being made. Only worked on it for an hour after 6 when it cooled down abit here

P1020747.JPG

P1020748.JPG Looking good, new gaskets all around and new oil seal around the harmonic balancer. Replaced that some time in 08 as well. remembering the unbalanced 302 ride was good till you had to idle at a traffic light :sidelaugh

P1020750.JPG Decided I better think about cleaning the cab out

P1020751.JPG Thought you guys may enjoy these cub posters from work

P1020752.JPG Theres small ones and big ones. I've worked at a cub dealer FYI for 4 years now :fing32:

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well she's all back together and no leaks :woohoo1::dancingpa

P1020755.JPG

P1020756.JPG

So thats the good news. The bad news she really needs driven some to get everything moveing again. Throw out bearing was stiff and letting out weird and the old gas she was running but idling funky for about 10 minutes while I let the thermostat open once. Took her up the road about 4 miles and opened her up abit :thThumbsU

Will post more as they come along. Need to do an oil change and such badly. Been 3 years since the last one with maybe 1,200 miles :dunno:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nice truck! What you've done with this one is something I've always wanted to do with a vehicle, pull as many miles as I possibly can out of it before its too far gone to fix. Great to see that you're getting it back on the road. Goes to show how long something can last if you take care of it. Those old Fords will last forever if you treat them nice.
:thThumbsU
It's funny you should mention the emergency brake not working well, mine doesn't lock down that strongly either... :hide:

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice truck! What you've done with this one is something I've always wanted to do with a vehicle, pull as many miles as I possibly can out of it before its too far gone to fix. Great to see that you're getting it back on the road. Goes to show how long something can last if you take care of it. Those old Fords will last forever if you treat them nice.
:thThumbsU
It's funny you should mention the emergency brake not working well, mine doesn't lock down that strongly either... :hide:
Thanks steam machine. It was a vow to my grandpa and something that is priceless to me.

I have turned down a 5 grand offer on it before and likely will again.

There was conversation between me and grandpa at Thanksgiving dinner of 07 about what I would like for a first car. I said I'd like a standard truck, preferable ford and V8 but said colors exact motors don't matter. And he said I wish someone would have done that for me when I turned 16 :fing32:

Wasn't but a few weeks later my grandpa had found this truck in Florida and and invited us down for Christmas. Mom and Dad knew about the truck but I did not going down. And long story short was a surprise back haul.

Guess you can say I have about the best grandpa, and im still very lucky that he is still around to see it :thThumbsU

10614297_632463846866231_7635533574458969498_n.jpg Does make alot sense

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took old Blue out for a run tonight. :thThumbsU Airing up the tires here and went for gas. And carried on after :fing32:

P1020757.JPG

Gonna have to check into I think my injectors are sticking sometimes. Or wonder if the TPS is out. Doesn't always drop to idle right away. It drops to 2500 rpms then slowly back to 1000 rpm's. I did check the throtle plates are not sticking and close right away. Guess I should hook the check engine light back up and see if its on lol. Bulb has been burnt out for seven years :sidelaugh

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you think boys after a quick car wash she does clean up well :thThumbsU Well 20 feet or 20MPH looks alright:fing32:

P1020760.JPG

P1020761.JPG

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after makeing a 50 mile round trip run to the company party saturday night and back. She's cleared for road duty, but im gonna be keeping a close eye on a few things.

A few note worthy things is along with the rough idle and slow to drop to idle sometimes. Gas mileage is way down burnt 6 gallon only going 50 miles or so. So im still thinking its the injectors sticking or the choke relay is turning on and off or something. But she always got 13- 11mpg before. As of right now 8.3mpg is no good. Something is up. I will get some injector cleaner and try it and I will turn to the trouble codes next threw the computer. Since its OBD1 its not as simple as plugging it in to a scan tool. But other than that runs good and she still has the power :fing32:

Exhaust needs some love

P1020762.JPG did a patch here where the pipe had cracked after the muffler. Was to thin just to weld. Temporary fix here

P1020764.JPG There is other issues mainly the tips are about rotted off as well.

But alas a few good pics :thThumbsU

P1020765.JPG

P1020766.JPG

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's looking better every day!
:thanku: It was a great feeling to get her out and hit interstate for abit set the cruise and let old blue do her thing. It ran great over with not a care in the world. Comeing back she was not idleing down again. I truthfully think its her way of being grumpy about sitting.

She always loved to be run every day. Shes back to first turn start now :fing32:

So I have a feeling more driveing she'll straighten out. I try and take her for a drive every night. whether I go 5 miles or 50 miles don't matter :drunkie:

Im sitting at 506,932 I think right now. So it won't be long and finish off are last goal. Then after that who knows. Maybe tomorrow I'll make a run to get an oil filter after work and get that done. Im not driveing it to work at the moment. I have all my tools in big white yet so she's a weekend, or sunny day rig now be nice if the AC worked ..........

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been a bit since I updated the thread but we finally turned over 507,000 miles

P1020947.JPG Gonna be hard to see I know

P1020893.JPG I did get the oil and oil filter changed too. Noticed the thermostat houseing leaking antifreeze now. Its and endless game with this truck :hide:

Rear diff cover is leaking oil and I've been unable to get the fill plug out to fill it for 7 years now. So I guess I'll pull the cover and put a fill plug in it somewhere one day and fix it before I blow the rear end :14_6_5:

Otherwise has been doing alright. Still something up with the motor or computer I think :hide:

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know its been awhile since an update but I finally got around to the idle issue. Nailed it first try throttle position sensor on the out :thThumbsU

Got that changed tonight along with a throttle body gasket and a few hoses up top the intake.

:D

P1030486.JPG Her wide open sound an idle is back :thThumbsU

P1030488.JPG Admireing

Wish list, tires, shocks, front springs and trailer hitch :dunno: Small but expensive list :sidelaugh

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I know you guys like pics :thThumbsU

P1030505.JPG

P1030509.JPG

P1030520.JPG Got my trailer light wireing fixed and a license plate light replaced one day :dunno: before I haul much it needs a new trailer hitch thats rusted away abit.......

P1030524.JPG I've out lasted now 2 trucks :sidelaugh

P1030504.JPG

1 - 20 of 36 Posts