My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey, I have a couple F engines sitting around at my house in Export if you want to take a look. I thought I might build up a ditch mower but realistically I'm probably never going to get around to it. Let me know (PM me for my cell phone) if you want to come check 'em out. My wife would be glad to have someone take them!

Matt

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Kind of sick of the 10545 at this point, it seems to be totally opposed to getting a new life so today I decided to give my daily driver 10312 some much needed attention. I got this mower on trade September 1st and abused it on my 20 yards a week until the end of the season a few weeks ago with absolutely zero maintenance. Normally I don’t have so much free time but I have had the last couple days off work so I’ve been able to spend some time wrenching.

There were no threads left in the front center hole that holds the top tank/shroud on so I picked up a new cooling shroud from the junkyard I go to and got two of the three correct screws I needed from the guy I bought the 10545 from. Had the shroud off and noticed that the little governor bar that goes across the airbox was popped out. The surprising thing is that the governor worked fine but I popped it back into place. I bent the front of the deck back out with channel locks, it was bent back from me ramming it into bushes and such, so badly that the blade was cutting into the plastic baffle. The front motor mount was seized in the base plate but the motor was loose...go figure...freed that up and the motor is tight now. I also pulled the muffler to check the ports and the piston. The piston in this mower actually looks very nice with only a few scratches on one side and the exhaust port was clean enough for me. Also while I had the shroud off I noticed some gouges in the flywheel, the previous owner gapped the coil so tight it was cutting into the flywheel. Obviously I took care of that. I have everything a light de-greasing with brakleen but it is going to get a full detail job with car wax before the mowing season.

I still have to sharpen the blade (it’s so dull I can’t believe I was mowing peoples grass with it lol), lubricate all 4 wheels and grease the self propel housings, add a fuel shutoff valve, and give the whole thing a good bath. I need to source an early style mulching fan (not sure why the previous owner took them off both mowers I got from him), one more screw for the shroud, the “lawn-boy” badge for the front of the shroud, the correct gas cap (the one on it is for a duraforce), and order the right sticker for the shroud that says “4.5hp” and not “4.75hp”. Yeah, I’m too particular about my lawnboys.

The echo pb-250 in the background was a freebie I picked up when I went with my buddy to get a couple Honda mowers last week.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I ended up finding a nice handle and deck for the C21. I'm lucky to find commercial f's but have not had any luck with the decks. Oh well. I'm good at the swap now. Got it running along with one of the 22260s. With 5 push commercials I dont need or want them all. I guess whatever one I'm left with last will be the keeper.

After the pita 10600 restoration and spending far too much time and money on my 22261 I'm over restorations. Like I like my classic cars I just want "driver" quality

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Happy New Year Tim, anything new with your mowers?
Thanks Joe, same to you. Somehow work has really picked up, my uncle came into town last week, and I’ve been going out with friends a little more and not had much time for the LBs. Today was the first time I touched one since my last post. I didn’t have a ton of time today so I mainly spent my time cleaning the 10312. I use Nu Finish car polish and it works really good. Gave the wheels a light cleaning but still have some work to do. Also took a couple minutes to sharpen the blade, it was freshly sharpened when I bought the mower in September and boy did I trash it in three months. If I have some more time this weekend, I will have to see if I have any early style mulch fans for it. My buddy wants to go to Exton tomorrow, we’ll see if I’m not too lazy to take one off up there.

I will try and get a couple pics of the blade pre sharpening up later just for laughs.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nice, glad you were able to save it that C21 instead of parting it out.

I totally get not wanting showroom floor models. Stuff becomes too nice to use. It's why I'm hesitant to start doing paint and decal work to my commercial Toro. It's also why I really liked my grandfather's C21. It was ugly as could be but always started with one or two pulls.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd be a little leery about using the early style mulch fan. I didn't think one would break but an ash branch had other ideas.

·
5,262 Posts
I agree! The early style did not have the reinforcing ribs and Lawnboy had a recall on them due to breaking. They would actually send out a replacement mulch fan if you had responded to the recall. Mulch fans are plentiful, and probably cheap, on eBay. Just be sure you get the new style. Bill

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What's the difference between the two mulch fans? Anyone have pictures?
I will try and get pics of both sometime this week unless somebody beats me too it. there was an issue with the blades breaking off if you hit something and the new improved fan (I think it came out in 99 bc my 98 DFs have had the early fan) had two added ribs for strength. out of 45 lawnboys I’ve had I’ve only had one with a broken fan so I never worried about it, but it’s a lawnboy not a classic car i shouldn’t worry about it being factory correct and I think I will just paint a new style fan green for this one.

·
5,262 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I will try and get pics of both sometime this week unless somebody beats me too it. there was an issue with the blades breaking off if you hit something and the new improved fan (I think it came out in 99 bc my 98 DFs have had the early fan) had two added ribs for strength. out of 45 lawnboys I’ve had I’ve only had one with a broken fan so I never worried about it, but it’s a lawnboy not a classic car i shouldn’t worry about it being factory correct and I think I will just paint a new style fan green for this one.
Thatd be great, I'm just curious. I didn't even know there was an old or new style.

·
5,262 Posts
Okay hopefully these pictures will show the difference. Along the creases where the blade sits they have pressed a distressed area for strength. Bill
Clearly shows on the new black one but not on the used green one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I posted some pictures of my busted one (tried to treat my DForce like a brush hog... Bad idea, of course) on a thread last year.

To Bill's point: it busted exactly where the new-style ones are reinforced/crimped.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for posting the pictures and the link to the recall Bill. I think it’s funny they recalled the ‘98 duraforces but failed to mention any of the ‘93-‘97 silver and gold models that used the same fan. Maybe the extra power of the duraforce was breaking fans lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
A couple days ago a guy reached out in response to my ad on Craigslist looking to trade my snapper for a gold series LB. I didn’t like the snapper at all and when I got an email asking if I’d be interested in trading for a “90s 2 cycle gold series self propelled” I couldn’t say yes fast enough. He made the 40 minute drive today and brought me this pretty nice 1995 10520 and along with it a ‘90ish S21ZSN parts mower. I’m hoping to be able to use the motor from that on my 1994 10545. Anyway I’m pretty excited to tear into the 10520 and will post some more soon. I think the heater core is going in my car so that takes first priority but hopefully I’ll get to spend a little time on the LBs this weekend. Anyway here’s some pics of the 10520. I will try and get pictures that have a little bit of clarity in the day tomorrow, my phone does not like the dark.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nice score Tim! Hope this one is a little better than the last gold series you dealt with. I still need to get over and see Matt.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts