My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of posting a new thread every time I pick up a new mower, I’m gonna try a singular, ever evolving thread, starting today.

I sold my 10227 last week, and went out and picked up this 1994 10545 today. I bought it off of a small mower shop my brother and I had done dealings with before, so I only looked at it for a minute before handing over $90. I made sure to ask if the three speed trans worked, and he said yes. I noticed that the mower was resprayed in spots, but wasn’t really bothered as it is in decent condition overall. Got it home, fired it up, grabbed the self propel and the motor just bogged. Same in all 3 gears. Trans will turn a few rounds of the input shaft and then jams on something. Two teeth are broke off of second gear but they are not the reason for it jamming, I think they are a result of it jamming. I am open to input as to what can be causing this, I need to do a complete tear down of the trans and figure out what is up.

Good news is that it has the metal walbro carb and runs very nice smooth and quiet. Being December, I can’t really run it though a heat cycle and see if the coil handles hot restarts. The electric start works which I found kinda cool and surprising.

I love these mowers but kinda hate this one just because I feel like I got taken on it. I will try and get some better pictures up soon.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would take it back and either return it or try to get some of your money back. They said the trans worked and it obviously doesn't. If they are honest they will give you at least some of your money back. I hate getting taken on things like that. Where did you buy it?

That is a great model though and the functioning electric start is super cool. It'll be a great machine after you work your magic on it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would take it back and either return it or try to get some of your money back. They said the trans worked and it obviously doesn't. If they are honest they will give you at least some of your money back. I hate getting taken on things like that. Where did you buy it?

That is a great model though and the functioning electric start is super cool. It'll be a great machine after you work your magic on it.

I bought it from Mario’s Mower Shop in Penn Hills, and I can only blame myself for making a bad decision. He wasn’t nearly as nice yesterday as he was the last time and I got caught up in the moment and should’ve walked away. I also should’ve started it up and tested it right there. I know I can’t get any money back, but I won’t go back for anything else. He has a 10546 without the electric start that I was hoping to pick up but it looks to be in worse condition wise than my 10545 and who knows what’s wrong with that one.

I have finals all week this week but hopefully I will be able to investigate a little further on Friday. I will be buying second gear and whatever trans parts it needs from Matt at Exton. I’m hoping to make something decent out of it, even though this one doesn’t have the thrust bearing, the F engine and 3 speed trans are probably the best lawnboys.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I bought it from Mario’s Mower Shop in Penn Hills, and I can only blame myself for making a bad decision. He wasn’t nearly as nice yesterday as he was the last time and I got caught up in the moment and should’ve walked away. I also should’ve started it up and tested it right there. I know I can’t get any money back, but I won’t go back for anything else. He has a 10546 without the electric start that I was hoping to pick up but it looks to be in worse condition wise than my 10545 and who knows what’s wrong with that one.

I have finals all week this week but hopefully I will be able to investigate a little further on Friday. I will be buying second gear and whatever trans parts it needs from Matt at Exton. I’m hoping to make something decent out of it, even though this one doesn’t have the thrust bearing, the F engine and 3 speed trans are probably the best lawnboys.
I'll definitely be sure to avoid that place. Still if I were you I'd go and try to get some of your money back. The guy lied to you whether he meant to or not.

No doubt it will be a great machine when you are done with it, the 3 speed, electric start, F engine and aluminum deck make it a pretty desirable mower. I look forward to seeing you fix it up!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
There is a Gold Series F-engined 3 speed in Harrisburg with a Cub Cadet 2 cycle snowblower for $125 for the both of them. I'm tempted to make a day trip out of it but I've got to move this Toro stuff first.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally had a minute to post a lawnboy update. I am done with finals and no classes until sometime next month.

I tore the transmission down on the 10545, the only thing wrong is there was another tooth broken off of second gear and jammed in the driven gear that I didn’t see. I popped it back together with just 1st and 3rd and it works fine. I will be going to my favorite junkyard tomorrow to get 2nd gear. For how little it’s gonna cost me, it’s not worth going to fight the guy I bought the mower off of.

However, while I had the trans out, I figured I would replace the loose rivet in the RH adjuster and the cheesy screw somebody put in the left side (in the pic w/ 2nd gear)
. I use Allen head screws and nylock nuts, can’t remember the exact sizes. I started scraping loose paint off of the deck, and now it looks like we’re headed for a full refurb of this mower. The screws that held the battery box on broke right off when I tried to remove them, gotta love the aluminum decks. I’m hoping to have everything apart and cleaned and have the deck stripped by Christmas.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also lawnboy related, and probably more exciting than the 10545, is this package that arrived a couple days ago.

Harry (@Tuskeegoboy&&1946) reached out to me a couple weeks ago that he had a brand new in box short block for the V engined lawnboys. You guys know I love the V engines and Harry offered me a fantastic price. He also threw in a couple other little pieces for me. This short block is a ‘97 production engine so it has the thrust bearing in it. I am hoping to keep acquiring NOS parts and eventually build a completely new 10304 or 10314. Maybe by then I will have my own place so I can park it in my living room. lol...

Thanks again Harry.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That NOS engine is cool. If it was me I would even bother replacing 2nd and I keep my 3 speeds in 3rd.
Yeah I always leave my 10651 and the 10525s i had in 3rd gear as well, but every once in a while I would use second gear and even first in the thick stuff, and I’m very particular about my lawnboys. As little as I use it, it would still bug me knowing my mower didn’t have second gear lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bad news on the 10545, got it totally torn down to keep stripping and cleaning parts and I find the piston looks terrible. I guess I will tear the motor down and see if the cylinder is as bad as the piston. It’s really a shame as I was hoping to leave the motor untouched as it ran very nice. I’m thinking I’m gonna have to source a decent used short block or try and get my $90 back by parting it out. I hate to part it out as these 3 speed Fs are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My 10520 is worse than that and it has deep scores in the cylinder wall. Those old F engines can take a lot of abuse. I'd just clean the ports and run it as is.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Man that sucks Tim. But I would at least put a compression gauge on it and see what its pumping out before I started tearing it down. It can't hurt and if it puts out a decent number just run it and maybe mix the gas a little richer for this one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know these motors will still run fine even looking like that, but since I’m going as far to paint the deck I really want to know I have a good engine. I’m gonna go down and take a closer look at it today. Joe I agree with you, I should’ve ran a compression test before I started taking it apart because now I have a short block hanging around and no way to really check the compression. I should build a stand to test the V and F engines on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Personally I'd put that mower back together and dump it. Even a beat 3 speed will bring at least $125. If you're looking for one to restore or whatever I'd start with a nicer overall one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Personally I'd put that mower back together and dump it. Even a beat 3 speed will bring at least $125. If you're looking for one to restore or whatever I'd start with a nicer overall one.
Yeah was talking to my dad earlier and pretty much came to the same conclusion. The walbro carb and functional electric start are cool to me but I have to let it go. Now I just have to figure out how to make the halfway stripped deck look decent without too much labor and throw it back together.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That sucks it turned out to be a disappointment but it's good to know when it's not worth the effort. If it runs and you put the transmission back together with a new 2nd gear in it, you can almost definitely get your money back out of it and probably even make a few bucks.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts