My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the train to Wakayama this morning and drove my new Suzuki Lapin home. Although I've only had it a day, I'm really impressed. The little 660cc engine is surprisingly powerful, and the CVT transmission is smooth as silk.

2010 with 3 km on the odometer
Maroon Brown Pearl (metalic)
660cc engine
CVT transmission with sport mode
5 year warranty on engine and transmission
3 year warranty on all other parts of the car
58 mpg economy
Air conditioning
Power steering
Power windows
Power locks all doors
Power mirrors
Adjustable height drivers seat
Adjustable steering wheel
Headrests front and rear
Aluminum wheels
ABS brakes
Security system
AM/FM/CD stereo player
"Imobilizer" engine start protection (can't hot wire to start)
Keyless entry and engine start/stop
Cup holders and storage everywhere
Matching "mud protection" molding
Rain protection molding around windows
Deluxe floor mats
Lots of other little extra things

It looks small, and it is....but it is amazingly roomy inside. Also very quiet.

Car, tax, registration, "recycle" fee, basic PL/PD insurance, license fees, vehicle inspection (required "inspection" because it was registered once by as a dealer car it was a "used car", but had with less than 5 miles on the odometer) all for $13,600.

It is going to be a lot of fun driving and taking trips. And, being a "Kei" car (660cc engine and body size restrictions) the taxes/registration is only $72/year. A regular car would be about $350/year.

Uncle Greg

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,975 Posts
Very nice! I just can't help wondering if VW will have a problem with Suzuki's naming of it tho... "Lapin" = "Rabbit" in French.... As long as it runs like a rabbit (VERY speedy), is cute like a bunny, and DOESN'T thump or poop like a bunny, it should be a good machine! :)

·
10,839 Posts
The little 660cc engine is surprisingly powerful, and the CVT transmission is smooth as silk.
Is this the same basic engine design that has been used for 30+ years in the mini trucks that are exported to the US?

Sounds like a long-lasting set-up.

PS Send it here when it will no longer meet emissions, okay? :thanku:

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine is a new design from 2008 or 2009, and up to snuff on all the latest emission requirements. The CVT transmission is new, and will be pretty much the "standard" from now on, according to what the dealer said. The turbo version will still offer the 5 speed manual, though.

The model "Lapin" was introduced in 2002, I believe, so the name should be OK. They only sell it in Japan and Singapore, or other Asian countries, but some people have imported them into Europe...with no problem with the "Rabbit" name...LOL.

It will be interesting to see just what the actual mileage will be, but I'm sure it's going to save a lot in fuel costs even if it's "only" 50 or so mpg. I'll be hauling a lot of stuff to our new place over the next few months, so it will get a workout for sure.

Uncle Greg

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Cool ride, Greg. We still have our 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 which we bought in late 2001. Still going strong. The only problem we had with it was an AC compressor failure which I replaced myself.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What is this "recycle fee"? I have not seen to many vehicles that are not recycled by going to the junkyard. Must be another politician scamming money out of your pocket.:fing20:

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We've had some bad weather this year....snow this past weekend, and today. Luckily I got some studless tires and wheels for the LaPin and have had no problems.

Here they sell wheel and tire sets at a price that makes it a better deal than just the tires alone, so now I can switch between snow/ice tires to regular street tires myself, whenever I want.

Uncle Greg

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Well, from what I remember of my time over there, don't put too many miles on it, or you will have to have the 30K km inspection[or is it the 60K km?] which I understand is expen$ive. I heard that a lot of relatively new vehicles are retired because of the expense of the inspection. When I was there, all cars had daubs of yellow paint on the suspension bolts, either from the factory, or maybe a dealer inspection. Don't know, but for some reason I thought it was a 'kid thing', like the large diameter tachometers and coffee can mufflers. When I got back to the states, I saw the ads for used Japanese engines with ~30k miles and I put two and two together.
Too bad the powers that be have put up so many fences to keep out innovative transportation ideas.
tom

·
Citizen of Earth
15,743 Posts
I'm 6'-3" tall would I fit in something like that? Looks cool. I'm thinking ahead for when I retire in the Philippines. Driving something like that where I am now would be a death sentence, but I can see that being an excellent car for the Philippines, much slower traffic there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts