My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not going to lie - I know crap about mowers/tractors, but I am liking this 318. However, after getting it home - and it starting several times, I drove it to my Grandpas to show him, and suddenly it wouldn't start. I discovered that the "fuses" were just wires that were crossed. I went and got fuses, and proceeded to blow them.....I later found out that the starting solenoid was not secured, and had fallen on its side, shorting the solenoid to the engine frame. Additionally, the fuse holders (blade fuses) were put on the wrong spot, so I put the fuses in according to the manual, and thus was putting the 3A fuse heading to the solenoid, and the 20A fuse to the key switch......and lights.

I had a couple of questions about this tractor, and a search yielded no results, but I want to educate myself. So I am going to try and keep my questions here so I don't clutter the board!

So my questions so far.....

1. Is this the correct solenoid? Its huge - and it seems as though the wires coming OFF the solenoid have fuse holders (with no fuses) inside them. Does that seem right? Additionally - this solenoid is NOT mounted to anything, and ultimately shorted itself out!

Here's the wire going into/on the solenoid....

2. These wires go from the voltage rectifier. Originally I thought this may have been a problem because these wires are taped together. Upon closer examination though, they seem fine....but is this factory?

Thank you for all the help and I look forward to learning more! I've found some side covers too locally, so I am very excited to add them!

Additionally - probably tomorrow - I am going to post a video of this "noisy starter" so that I can figure out what's going on there. That looks like no fun to replace, so it may head to a repair shop for that!

·
Super Moderator
32,579 Posts
Your first pic is the coil not the solenoid. Here is a schematic to help you out. The second pic is not a factory wire job. The solenoid is either mounted on the pedestal or on the starter it depends on which starter you have. I take it the engine is a B43 model since I don't see the condensor mounted by the coil anywhere (on B43 it can be in the points box) which is the one in the diagram with "E3 Ignition Points" cutout.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The PO has a p218 engine, he posted a pic yesterday.
The condenser looks to be there, I think I can see it in the 1st pic. The black wire should be it.

Take your time on that tractor and ask questions. It appears the PO was a qualified hack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well - Almost all of my questions were worded wrong! The coil - is that the correct one? And how does it mount?

·
Super Moderator
32,579 Posts
Well - Almost all of my questions were worded wrong! The coil - is that the correct one? And how does it mount?
My 318 wasn't as hacked as yours is but the coil was just lying loose in that area too. Here's what I did to get it secured:

Attachments

·
6,949 Posts
Important to know for sure which engine it is...in your 1st picture there is a tag on the engine just above half way up all the way to the left...the engine info will be on there

·
Three of my friends
8,921 Posts
That is the proper coil fo 218,b43 is round and lays on its side,the red wires are for something else,looks like the po just used red wires to replace the original wires,can’t figure why the wires are going to where,according to the schematic pa poster,there’s only one wire coming off the stator ,white but the picture stops before it shows where it goes BUT not to the coil,

·
Super Moderator
32,579 Posts
Time Delay (Control) Module. It has some effect on the starting circuit.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
PA, TCDM is not in start circuit. It's simply a terminal connection for wires 410 & 415.

Thunder: Here's the wiring for the start system. Turn key "Run" and check each wire from F1 fuse to the trans neutral switch or brake switch if you have one.
The serial number break for brake switch is at 600304 & 600305. if yours is above serial # 600305 you should have a brake switch in the starting system. Check for 12 volts at each connection and "somewhere" you should loose your voltage. If you have voltage all the way through the start wiring, turn key to Start and check voltage at small terminal/purple wire on the solenoid. If voltage there, check for voltage on large terminal on solenoid, the one that goes to the starter and not the one to the battery. Do the checks and report back here with results. Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts