1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tractor Junkie
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
16,672 Posts
Thanks for the links.....

Also like your "ratfink" avatar---May Ed "Big Daddy" Roth rock on forever!!:trink39:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I use the standard 10% blend in all of my gas powered equipment and vehicles since ethanol came out and never have had any problems at all. What I like about ethanol blended fuel in the winter is no gas line freeze up. Plenty of power and cheaper with no harmful affects. slkpk

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
As ethanol levels increased, leaner engine operation was observed in all of the tested engines, as indicated by decreased CO emissions.

well "duuh".... ethanol has less specific energy than gasoline. Putting in in simple terms, it has "less fuel" per unit volume or unit weight. So a non-efi engine (ie: carburetor type), ends up with the fuel mixture all messed up. Specifically: less fuel and same air means lean mixutre!... what a revelation. Higher ethanol, means even leaner mixutre. Now ask any engine tuner what happens when you lean out the mixture?... you get less CO, more NOx, higher engine temps, and sometimes pinging. Erratic idle is a product of lean mixture (lean out any carb fed engine, and see how "easy it is" to set idle), and different rate of combustion.

Bottom line, this big study told us something that a lot of us already know. Big study at a big expense. Paid for by the tax payer.

However I do agree that ethanol in gasoline does do a good job of keeping water out of your fuel tank....

cheers!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I prefer...Methanol....More specifiacally..NitroMethanol.

But E-10 is bad stuff. You can always tell when someone has gotten ahold of some E20...fuel line is soft and spongy, wont run right if at all, and the smell is unique.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Red is right... old fuel lines, gaskets, pump diaphragms.... all get messed up with higher ratio blends..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts