My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gather round everyone it is story time. I have mentioned my Hahn in a few threads but figured i would finally do it justice and start a thread on it. Well here it goes.

Our story begins 4 years ago when a group of friends talked about building racing lawnmowers since a friend had bought some acrage and was going to set up a track. We began to pick up old mowers for parts and my Dad's longtime friend whos name is Ben called and said we could have the RER out next to his shed.

He had gotten this from his son a few years prior and used it to cut his large lawn. His yard was very rough so the front bushings kept falling out of the wheels so he replaced them with hard rubber ones. He replaced this mower with a newer one and it had sat outside for a year.

We loaded it up and dragged it home since it has a very strong transmission in it. He said we beat the scrap guy by only 2 days. After we got this little beast home i began the search for info.

After very little luck on google i turned to youtube and discovered videos on a mower similar to mine, but with a smaller motor. I messaged the guy and we began to talk. This is when my mower addiction began.

He got me in contact with a few Hahn collecters in michigan who are great guys. They told me that this machine was only made 3 years, 1972-1975, mine is a '75 via briggs date code.

After we got it home we wanted to see if it would run. We had to clean the mass amounts of acorns off the deck and everything else, and after a little fittleing it ran enough to take it around the yard to check the transmission and then it died. We had to many projects at the time so it was put away. One funny this about the first ride was that the seat had rusted in 2 so i was sitting on a bored on the seat spring, it was not comfortable but it sure was memorable.

Im going to do this similar to my Ford thread, where i type till my thumb hurts then continue later :D. There will be pics in the next post i promise :)

Mikey.

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well i couldnt leave you without pictures so the story continues. After a year and a half of sitting in the shed we descided to pull it out. We also descided to put some money into it since i convinced him to keep it.

Here is what it looked like when we pulled it out (basically the same as when we got it minus the acorns)
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714168.145232.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714202.450541.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714232.138059.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714267.589194.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714291.281554.jpg

And the ID tag of the mower ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714336.909519.jpg

Once we pulled it out i began to chat with the Hahn guys again and they sent me some great information which i will now share with you all.

First a brochure picture of it new ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714391.038805.jpg

They also told me that mine was the bigger of the 2 models of the RMD 400. One had a 5hp and the other a 7hp, both were Briggs& Stratton engines. Mine has the 7hp

They also sent me a spec sheet on both ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714502.271546.jpg

One we new what we had we began working on it. The quick weekend repair turned into a 2 week job that included grinding the valves, replacing the exaust valve guide, lapping the valves. We also had to replace the points and condenser and swap a coil with a spare we had in the barn. A new air cleaner, spark plug, and combining parts from multiple carbs finally made it run strong. We tried to keep it as original as possible but sometimes it doesnt happen. We found a muffler that was the same as stock so we replaced that as well since it was rusted out

We also replaced the 2 rear axel bearings since they were gone. We pulled the differential out and the bearing faces fell onto the floor.

After we got it fixed up it went for a few rides around the yard and was treated to a new set of front tires and rims from everyones favourite store, Harbour Freight. We have the original rims and tires but they are extremly rusted and will need alot of work.

After this we had other projects come up so it was retired back to the shed.

Mikey.

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is how it looked when it was put back in the shed. We also used almost a full can of GUNK on it to cleanup the rear area and motor
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714911.110464.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393714938.673954.jpg

Now a few of myself taking it for a spin. Im about 4" taller since this so it will be interesting to see how i still fit ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393715007.004611.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1393715035.849517.jpg

The pictures here were taken on my Ipod 4th generation that is why they are not very good. The next batch will be from the digital camera i remembered i had and am now currently learning how to use ;)

Mikey.

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have all the pictures just have to put them up and type it. Have been busy with homework and other things. I will have it up this weekend :)

Not sure if anyone is following along but hope you enjoy

Mikey.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,025 Posts
We're following along Mikey.but not at all familiar with the Hahn. It is a real good starting point for you to do your first restoration.

Did you find a Harbour Freight store in Canada or go cross border shopping. None around the Toronto area that I am aware of.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,240 Posts
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have all the pictures just have to put them up and type it. Have been busy with homework and other things. I will have it up this weekend :)

Not sure if anyone is following along but hope you enjoy

Mikey.
OK.... I would like to stress that homework comes first... then u can play....

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
how many speeds does it have?

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're following along Mikey.but not at all familiar with the Hahn. It is a real good starting point for you to do your first restoration.

Did you find a Harbour Freight store in Canada or go cross border shopping. None around the Toronto area that I am aware of.
Thanks larry. We are not doing a full restoration because we have alot of other stuff going right now. Plus it isnt in too bad of shape and it has 23 new decals that would have to be made, it would get expensive fast

We just jump the border. Thats one good thing about Windsor we are so close it takes us a half hour from leaving the house to get to our shopping area we like. HF is great, we usually buy a good bit there

Mikey.

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.... I would like to stress that homework comes first... then u can play....
Yep i know Whirly, my parents are strict on that to and i am with myself. I got home and we worked on it today for a couple hours then did my homework

Mikey.

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally descided to do the update so here we go

After we changed the bearings we could not get the rear differential to line up so we put a note that it needed to be adjusted and back to the shed it went for another slumber, until last week

We descided we are going to the Lawn & Garden Tractor Extravaganza which is hosted by Lawn & Garden tractor magazine. It is held in Evansville Indiana, which is actually where the Hahn plant was located. My group of Hahn friends bring a large display down every year so we descided we were going to bring ours there, The RMD 400.

That lead to my father and I to descide what we had to do to make it show ready. We wanted to make sure it was mechanically sound so we had no troubles down there.

After reading on here on how the Bentilite grease will dry up and separate we descided it was a good idea to pull the rear Diff and the transmission.

Before I get to the pictures, I just want to say that some of the pictures are not the greatest because I am still learning how to use my camera. It is a Kodak EasyShare M580, if anyone has any helpful hints please chime in

The first 2 pictures are just of it up on our hoist, it is way easier to work on things up there compared to on the ground

The next picture is of the Peerless model 169 differential that came in these mowers. This one was in pretty good shape, and the 45 tooth sprocket had very little wear

The fourth pic is just a picture with the differential removed.

The fifth picture is of the differential gears we removed from it. The grease that was in there had turned to a black semi hard crust. Also the shaft and a couple of the gears on surface rust on them. Moisture must have been creeping in since there are gaskets in these differentials. The grease is supposed repel the moisture and to not let it to the gears. I didn't work after 39 years

The next picture is of all the parts when we removed them. They all had the black crust/film on them, so If you have a mower with a differential like this I highly suggest cracking it open and checking it out.

The seventh picture is of the rust that had built up on the shaft (not sure on the correct name, if someone knows I would like to hear the correct term)

I think that is enough for one post, not sure what the picture limit is:dunno:

Attachments

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So part 2 continues

This first picture is after we cleaned it up. We rinsed it off with gasoline and let it soak. We also wire wheeled most of the rust of the shaft and used fine sand paper to clean the gear teeth. There is still some pitting as you can see in the picture but there is not much we can do. It will not be a weekly mower so it won't live a hard life by any means

After searching online and asking here we found the exact Bentilite grease that we needed. It was over 30 dollars for a 30oz tube so we looked around. It lead us to a small mower shop who said he had a grease similar. It was in an 8oz tube and the guy wanted 16 dollars for it. My Dad asked if he had anything else and he had the exact peerless grease for only 6 dollars more and in the 30oz bottle (EDIT I don't have the picture on my camera it is on my phone, so I will post it after this post.

Thanks to member dBuck on here who had the peerless manual. He told me it needed to have 3oz of grease in the differential. We made sure to put some on all the bearing surfaces and places that touch so there are no lube problems. We may have put to much in, but its better to have more than less. That is what is shown in this picture.

Also I would like to add that the differential did have play in it. We tried to swap it with other hardened washers that were only about a half a washer thicker and it jammed it up, so we put the original more loose ones in

Just got the call for dinner then have a little more studying to do for a test. Will be back later:thThumbsU

Attachments

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
nice. i think my LTD 500 is a 71. it has a 3spd stick it was an 8 or so hp briggs that bit the dust. turned great

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice. i think my LTD 500 is a 71. it has a 3spd stick it was an 8 or so hp briggs that bit the dust. turned great
Those are cool machines. They use a peerless 600 series transaxel though. They are tough but need to be serviced, we have 2 of those transmissions both are busted from lack of maitenence. Not by us but by others

I got one that looks a little different...
Kevin that's a GT700 I think. Is it manual or a hydro version

If you all want to read a little more about Hahn history there is a facebook group called "Hahn Eclipse Lawn & Garden Equipment" or there is a site started by the same guy as the group

Heres the link to the site, not sure how to put links to groups

http://hahn-eclipse.com/site/

·
15,240 Posts
So part 2 continues

This first picture is after we cleaned it up. We rinsed it off with gasoline and let it soak. We also wire wheeled most of the rust of the shaft and used fine sand paper to clean the gear teeth. There is still some pitting as you can see in the picture but there is not much we can do. It will not be a weekly mower so it won't live a hard life by any means

After searching online and asking here we found the exact Bentilite grease that we needed. It was over 30 dollars for a 30oz tube so we looked around. It lead us to a small mower shop who said he had a grease similar. It was in an 8oz tube and the guy wanted 16 dollars for it. My Dad asked if he had anything else and he had the exact peerless grease for only 6 dollars more and in the 30oz bottle (EDIT I don't have the picture on my camera it is on my phone, so I will post it after this post.

Thanks to member dBuck on here who had the peerless manual. He told me it needed to have 3oz of grease in the differential. We made sure to put some on all the bearing surfaces and places that touch so there are no lube problems. We may have put to much in, but its better to have more than less. That is what is shown in this picture.

Also I would like to add that the differential did have play in it. We tried to swap it with other hardened washers that were only about a half a washer thicker and it jammed it up, so we put the original more loose ones in

Just got the call for dinner then have a little more studying to do for a test. Will be back later:thThumbsU
that spider gear assembly looks exactly like the ones used in a JD R-70 & R-72.. I have a R-72 model which we highly modified..

I have busted a gear in half... JD had gears in stock.. 2 have the flat sided hole.. & 2 have a round hole.. all 4 gears cost me about 100$$

JD could not tell me what grease was used in them... but they have a high stress grease which I used.. this came in a gun type tube.. when I got mine all cleaned up.. I drilled the one case half for a zerk... pumped it full of grease.. I did not tighten the bolts that hold the halves together when I filled it.. I wanted the air to come out of the seam joint.. when a bunch did come out I then tightened it all up... then pumped in more till a tiny bit came out the axle shafts..

BTW... pic limit is 12 per post..

·
15,240 Posts
here is a pic of my highly modded JD R-72.. with me on it ..it tips the scale at 1080.. I weigh 180..

Attachments

·
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got around to posting another update now that I am on march break. Been battling a cold the last few days so I have not done much but my Dad was working on it. Ill bring everyone up to speed

After we reassembled the differential my Dad put the Hahn on a jack and pulled out the mower so It would be easier to get out the transmission which is shown in the first 2 pictures.

He then pulled the transmission out which required removing the shift plate guide, the transmission safety switch and shifter arm as well as the brake cable and spring. To remove the drive pulley on the bottom there was a snap ring that was very hard to see, and then we used the 3 jaw puller.

Once it was out we cracked it open and found much like the diffential, a hard dried out crust on everything which is shown in the 3rd and 4th pic. He then cleaned it with gasoline and re assembled it with the proper lube which was 12 ounces. We also made sure to put some on all the surfaces that would be moving during first start up to make sure we had proper lubrication

After the transmission was reassembled we put it back into the mower and also installed a new drive belt which was badly cracked. The belt number of the new belt is shown in the 5th pic.

We also took a look in the front steering tower to lube the clutch and brake cables and to check and make sure they were still in good shape. They were still good which also shows this mower did not have many hours on it, they did enjoy the fresh oil to free them up though. A view in the front tower is pic 6

After this we moved onto going through the deck. The blade on it when we got it was horrid, next time I am in that shed I will grab a picture of it if I think of it. The belt on the deck was also totaled and would not come off without disassembling the deck. We began the tear down which is shown in pictures 7 and 8. Picture 9 is of the help cat checking out the mower, it gave us a good laugh so I figured I would include it

Attachments

1 - 20 of 114 Posts