My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up a little over a month ago off CraigsList.
Thought it was about time to get some pics of it posted.
I may need to adjust the photo size so please bear with me, this is the first set of photos I've posted here ... I'll learn.

Needs a seat cushion ... bet it's not the only one here without a cushion.

That's my new Brinly 38" box scraper on the back.
I've got a 44" mowing deck that I'm working on for it.

18hp Kohler horizontally opposed twin on board

The brand spankin' new Carlisle All Trails and Craftsman Sleeve Hitch

Ready for action

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
sweet ride:thThumbsU hows that 18 for putting the power to the ground?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ss12,

I haven't done much hard work with it yet but plan to help my brother skid some alder out of the woods next week with it.

I like way the Kohler seems to have plenty of power even at low rpms. Coupled with low range it should do very well. I think I've got the carb adjustments just about right now and had to re-adjust the governor so it ran properly. It putts like an old Harley at low idle ... I kind of like that.

The weak link so far has been the worn, original Sears, turf tires that were on it, I'm hoping the All Trails will connect well with a variety of terrain and I'll eventually fill them with liquid but will try them just aired up next week.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
Looks sweet! good job! can't wait to see some action photos!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi GT80,

Thanks for the reminder to take my camera with me when I put 'er to work.
I'm hoping to leave little impact on the flora while getting this wood out, it's a fairly pristine area and grows back quick but the GT6000 should help so we won't have to cut too wide a swath through the woods.
Ideally I'd have a 4 wheel wagon instead of a homemade skid/ sled but we'll just take it slow and steady and should do fine.
Hope to get or make a ~48" wide wagon for the future.
I'll try to remember to take some pics.

Dave

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
I can't wait to hear how those tires do. thinking about a set for my 99' gt

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires are great ... but I needed weight, lots of it.
There was virtually no transfer of power to uphill forward movement due to the fluffy forest floor duff. On a slight incline, any time the rear wheels would try to overcome any obstacle the wheels would turn and kick out the soil. Even Ag's wouldn't have helped here ... needed more weight.
I could have added chains but I don't think that would have helped much in this particular situation.

This was no fault of the tires, the rear end of the GT6000 is just to light for what I was trying to do without added weight.

I'll be finding a way to fill the tires with liquid and get some wheel weights. front and rear. Doubt I'll try the same tasks but at least I'll be sure to connect with the ground during other slightly less demanding operations.

Plenty of power ... that's not an issue with the GT6000 18hp Kohler and 6 speed transaxle.

Bottom Line: The Carlisle All Trail tires are nice. Sharp edges with plenty of bite on the right surface. (Hard dirt, road gravel, turf, vegetation, asphalt, concrete etc).
They'd probably work well in shallow mud or shallow swampy areas if you have some weight. They don't tear up the lawn at all, so that's nice too.
I think they are a good halfway between turf tires and Ag's.
... and they look great too.
I don't think any tire would have worked well on this soft fluffy forest soil, going uphill without a lot more weight.

Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Joe,

On the rear are Carlsile All Trails 23x10.50-12 and I got them from www.tires-easy.com for $71.70 each plus shipping which came to a grand total of $177.66. The front ones are 16 X 6.50-8 and I got them on ebay from www.overstockwheels.com as a set of two for $40.50 plus shipping for a total of $62.32. I paid $30 to have them mounted which was a little high but close by so probably worth the difference in gas (I live in a rural location).

I'm very pleased with them, no problem tearing up grass etc. and they do look pretty sharp. I need to paint the rear rims but will do that as time permits.

Thanks for the comments.
It's a pretty solid machine now for a Craigslist special.
I do have a problem getting it into low range sometimes but will see if I can make an adjustment of the hi/low range shift pin to iron that issue out.

Take care and enjoy life,

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts