My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,731 Posts
What does anyone know about L hubs? I thought that there were 2 types, solid and spoked, but now I see the solid has 3 and 6 bolt types, are there more? Anyone know dates?
There were others. Remember they had Hex axles when they first came out. Then they had 12 screw rims till 1940. Then they went to the 6-bolt solids, then 3 bolt solids, then the cutouts.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
There were others. Remember they had Hex axles when they first came out. Then they had 12 screw rims till 1940. Then they went to the 6-bolt solids, then 3 bolt solids, then the cutouts.
Got any dates for the timeline? I went through the online manuals looking for this, not at all helpful.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,731 Posts
Got any dates for the timeline? I went through the online manuals looking for this, not at all helpful.
For Hex to 12 screw should be 1937. 1940 to 6 bolt. 3 bolt was prior to 1960 but can't say for sure when as I'm not where most of my tractors are. 1956 still had solids. 1959 on mine has cutouts.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
I am the second owner of my '57LI, and it was well cared for before me. It did have a low volume oil pump with spin on filter and oil pressure gauge. It had electric start with the original big electric start hood with the funny hinges.

But it did not have the protruding intake cam, however this machine still had a standard bore cylinder in very good condition. So it is very possible that the cam or cams were changed over during a rebuild.

The '57 IPL shows the L401 intake cam, or long cam.

By serial number, my tractor was built mid 1957.

Roger,

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
For Hex to 12 screw should be 1937. 1940 to 6 bolt. 3 bolt was prior to 1960 but can't say for sure when as I'm not where most of my tractors are. 1956 still had solids. 1959 on mine has cutouts.
My 1957 has solids.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Just a note to add to the timeline that the old walk behinds used curved handlebars up until about serial # 2600. (Thanks Rich Nichols!)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I am the second owner of my '57LI, and it was well cared for before me. It did have a low volume oil pump with spin on filter and oil pressure gauge. It had electric start with the original big electric start hood with the funny hinges.

But it did not have the protruding intake cam, however this machine still had a standard bore cylinder in very good condition. So it is very possible that the cam or cams were changed over during a rebuild.

The '57 IPL shows the L401 intake cam, or long cam.

By serial number, my tractor was built mid 1957.

Roger,
Roger, what hub style does your '57 have?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Does anyone know the year that advance castings went fro 8 to 6 bolt?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,809 Posts
Can anyone pinpoint the first use of the "4-Season" logo? On what tractor(s) in what year?

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,731 Posts
1930 All Ds become 30 D XXXX numbered.
1954 Last US made D model.
1966 Changes made to the L models. Some marked LC.
1967 L models become C models for the full year.
1968 First C built in NC plant ( Not an L as Ariens says. )
2006 Last of the gear drive two wheel tractors built ending 69 years of use of that design.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,731 Posts
Does anyone know the year that advance castings went fro 8 to 6 bolt?
Looks to be some time in 1955. I have a 55 which has an 8 bolt while my 1956 has a 6 bolt front. The 55 is at least half way into 1955 and is an LI so figure around the change from 5 digits 99XXX to M numbered units. My 1955 is 99172 and the 56 is M7133.

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,809 Posts
I am attempting to consolidate all of the Model identification info into a spreadsheet as the start of a "Spotters Guide".

A lot of good information here.

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
I am attempting to consolidate all of the Model identification info into a spreadsheet as the start of a "Spotters Guide".

A lot of good information here.
Gravely hunting guide.

Gravely acquiring field guide.

Some kinda catchy title. Spotters guide isn't bad though

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,809 Posts
Gravely hunting guide.

Gravely acquiring field guide.

Some kinda catchy title. Spotters guide isn't bad though
You've got a good idea there. In the old-cars hobby we called it a Spotter's Guide, which is where I started.

If you're into birding, it would be the "Field Guide to Gravelys"

Maybe we should just mash it up and call it GASquisition?

Ben's DNA

Okay, this is getting silly. Maybe it will inspire someone else?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Love the info in this thread. A spotters guide would be awesome. First thing I do when I see a Gravely is try to figure out what year it is.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Love the info in this thread. A spotters guide would be awesome. First thing I do when I see a Gravely is try to figure out what year it is.
One of the things I do is since I have a smart phone is I keep the PDF's on it that help with identifying Gravelys. The serial number PDF has helped me a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please let us know when you get this guide done . Even if it not complete. I want one. You could do amendments as time as time goes on..

·
Registered
68 Posts
How would I know my 8199 kt Gravely was made in 1985 for sure, does the serial number indicate this?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts