My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, I love that tractor house smell. For the last couple of weeks and on hot summer days, when I've gone out to the shed to start the Gravely, I've been getting a distinctive Gravely shed smell. It's hard to describe, but it's got bits of gas, metal, grease, oil, and something distinctively Gravely. It's different than the scents of old construction equipment or other old tractors (I go to as many shows as I can) and just seems to ring something in my head. I remember this same smell from summers when I'd spend time at my Grandparents (the Gravely I have was my Granddads). Even though my building is wood and his was steel, the scent is almost the same, just missing that hint of Mailpouch tobacco that he used to chew.

The shed is only 3 years old and has been the tractor house all of its life, but this is the first year I can recall the scent being there. I guess it took time to build up. Maybe I'm a bit nostalgic this year, or maybe I'm just soft in the head, but I figured you all might appreciate this. I've even thought about getting a pouch of Mailpouch just to set out in the shed. Has anybody else had a similar experience with their shed?

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
You're absolutely correct. I love the smell too, to me Gravely's have their own sub-category of "air-cooled" engine scent.

·
16,814 Posts
Well--My Bil up in Penn. garage ought to reek then--he's got at least four Gravely's ride-on's and maybe one/two walk-behinds that I've see--
and a ton of other stuff hasn't seen daylight in years..:biglaugh:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
You are correct, Loremaster. The aroma of a Gravely is unmistakable and undeniable. I need to go and get a nose full now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts