My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He says when he shifts to high range, it won't stay in position. He'd like to use it in 1H, but has to stay in 3L. Can anyone shed some light on how bad this condition may be?

I'm going over to look it over for him. do a grease job on zerts I can find, check the oil (he says he can't find the dipstick) and check on one of the caster wheels, that keeps falling out.

IN general, it is the blind leading the blind on this one. I told him I really didn't know a lot about the GK.

He is convinced he can sell it for $1000 or more on Ebay, because another one is listed on there for $4000........I didn't offer any more pricing advice. He isn't listening.

He still wants my Murray GT, and I told him I wouldn't really be interested in it for that amount of money. So we are on cash basis......the best to be anyway.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
He is probably right about what he could get for it on eBay, if it is decent and with the cab. Rattiness reduces value, obviously.

As for the popping out of High range, I would suspect serious slop in the linkage. One of mine has so much wear on the linkage, it is hard to tell where you are. The other is much lower hours, and is very crisp on the shifting.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yeah, I would like to own a GK. That is one that did not know existed until a month ago when the guy on the east coast had 4 of them on ebay for one money. I am an addict, so I will more then likely end up with one before I leave this big blue marble. Tennessee is not too far from Ohio......

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well it is available, and it does run, and mows, he says, really well.

I went today to look it over and fix one of the caster wheels, re installed the e-clip on the shaft and greased it up. Mostly I just looked it over with him and answered any questions that I could answer. The Delco-Remy voltage regulator is missing, so I guess the charging system needs checking out. Generator seems ok, the Hydraulic pump was low on fluid, where he has a seepage leak when the steering valve system is in use. Nothing major, I don't think. The blades are pretty good shape, and the wing blade belts are (one new) and the other pretty new. The tires are are decent. The seat is not original, and neither is the gas tank. The engine (THD) runs well, the exhaust system after the original manifold is from an AC WD9 farm tractor. The high/low lever doesn't want to stay in high, but will operate if held there.

Bottom line, in my opinion, it has a couple of issues, most notably, the charging system needs looking at. The steering valve will need a seal soon. But it is a solid good working usable machine.

He does want to sell it, and I explained the condition of it would affect the price. His bottom line was $950 straight up cash. He doesn't plan to run it on Ebay, but will list it on Craigslist soon. I'm nearly done refurbing the Murray for him, so as soon as he gets that from me, he'll be listing it, would be my guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Those things are animals

1 - 6 of 6 Posts