My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take her parents to St Louis for a Dr.s appointment in the old aerostar, and we stopped in to see the colors one last time and order a Mini Cooper Clubman.

She is pretty excited and is getting a new job at the same time. Same office but different job. Going to be travelling more and the PT is going on 6 years old.

Was looking for something with good milage and a little extra cargo room than the Mini coupe. We settled on a Cooper..saw them when they first came out about 2005 at an auto show (actually went to see the new Mustang)
I swear they were about $15,000 then with about $17,000 for the Cooper S.

I thought they were still English then, not BMW.

When the clubman came out, we had to go drive one, and you know, they are really comfortable and roomy in the front. Being it is the wifes, it had to be an automatic. We also had to have cruise. Everything else was pretty great just standard.

I wanted the minilite style wheels, she wanted the seat warmers. We compromised by not getting either...then she slipped the bun warmers back in because of some other feature with that package which I forget now.

So I got to choose whether or not to get the two racing stripes on the hood, which I did decide to go with.

She wanted a really ugly dark blue which was too grey and blah for that car in my opinion. She also wanted chocolate brown which looked pre dirty to me.
Red was out since we already have a red car. In person, I liked the cream, white or British racing green metallic on it the best (and I normally can't stand green)

We compromised again and went with the "sparkling grey" which is what I would call champaign.

Had choice of Black, Silver or body color on the top. Went black, and we ordered it without the sunroof. We have had cars with sunroofs and just don't use them, plus we plan on keeping it a long time and don't want the eventual leaks.
Its just the regular Cooper, not the "S" which we don't care to spend for since we would rather have the milage we are already losing with the 5 speed auto. They actually accelerate pretty nicely with the standard powertrain.

3 year bumper to bumper and 4 years powertrain. If it needs repaired, they will pick it up and bring it back. Sounds pretty decent.
Plus its cute as heck.

So Mrs. ABC will have a new set of wheels, and I will have something to look forward to in 5 years when the warranty and honeymoon are over. Hand me down cars are cool too.

Anyway, we will be getting an email with a number to check on at a website and see the progress as the mini is built and then shipped. Our first foriegn car. Will look like the photo pretty well except stripes on the hood.

Sorry big 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I like the Clubbies pretty well. I have a 2006 British Racing Green Cooper S Cabrio. Since I can't leave anything alone, I put in a ported, polished head with bigger stainless valves, stiffer valve spings, titanium keepers, race cam, 17 percent overdrive on the supercharger, exhaust header, high-flow cat, cat-back exhaust made by Milltek, cold air intake system, and a dyno tune on the computer. Came out right at 240 horsepower. It's a hoot to drive.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's built now, those crafty Germans living in Oxford England got it loaded on the ship and its been at sea for a week.

Mrs. ABC (who will be driving it 99% of the time) is on her way to Austin TX today and I'll join her Sat hopefully (driving the Aerostar down) then we will hit the highlights in TX for the next week.

Hopefully will get it sometime in early July. She's regretted selling the PT too early. (couldn't get any auction finds in it either)

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Very nice ABC .. good luck with it :fing32:

I have never sat in one .. but I imagine being 6-3 240 .. it might be a tad bit tight for me

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I guess ought to update it.

We went and picked it up the 3rd. Drove it home during one of those midwest hurricanes we get every so often. Mrs. ABC driving it and me in the aerostar following. Hydroplaned because Mrs. ABC has no idea about slowing down for weather, but got home in one piece.

Went to DMV to get license next and found we needed the title of course. Mini guy said it was going to be another week or two before we got the title so we could order license and pay taxes, said no problem, you have 30 days.

Said he told us about it but it must have went over our heads. Ok, so last Thurs. I call and ask our sales lady if she could find out if the title has been sent yet. Talked to sales manager and he said no problem, you have 30 days.
I said I didn't want to wait 30 days to drive it.
He was shocked (at last) and said don't you have temp tags?? I said No! We can't do anything with our DMV until we get the title. Haven't driven it since we got home! He said how did you get it home? We just drove it home with the paperwork (already had insurance put on it).

So I go to the DMV to get the title and license sent in and pay the taxes. Turns out Mrs. ABC needs to sign 2 forms since it is in both out name and she is in TX for another week of training.

Well, it looks nice anyway in the garage.

So he Fedexs the title to us the next day (Fri.)

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That last line sorta got cut & pasted in the wrong place. Mrs. ABC is going to sign in those 2 places and I'll get it on the road tomorrow.

I will say it has more features and hidden functions that a James Bond car. Came with 4 thick books of directions. I've figured out the basics.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Nice car. They forgot to give you the 5th thick book, the "Registration Manual"? Sounds like the way things go around here.:D Enjoy and good luck with it and...

"WE WANT TEST REPORTS.... WE WANT TEST REPORTS... WE WANT TEST REPORTS!" (I couldn't find a smiley icon for that.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts