My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've scoped it out and it looks like a great community of people on here. Very good sense of humors as well as knowledgeable and helpful.

I was just given my dad's old John Deere 317 Garden Tractor. According to birth right, it was offered to my older brother first but he wasn't interested in dealing with a "fixer" project. Once he turned it down I jumped at the opportunity as I think it could be a fun learning project for me and I think it could still be a good little tractor with some TLC. (pictured below)

Sadly I'm not very mechanically inclined and will hope to be getting a lot of good advice from everyone. The tractor hadn't been started in over 3 years and has just been sitting in the harsh Idaho elements so I figured it wouldn't even start. I opened the hood and found a birds nest inside. I put a set of jumper cables on just to see and to my surprise it fired right up. The only problem was when I removed the cables the engine would immediately die. Maybe a bad battery? Maybe a bad stator (whatever one of those is). At any rate, I'll be opening up a thread in the John Deere section to chronicle the restoration/repair.

·
2,261 Posts
Welcome to MTF GG,that is a nice tractor,lots of info here and people to help.

TOMMY

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Welcome! since it has been setting for so long I'd start with some basics, like draining the fuel out of the carb, oil change, air filter, spark plug...just some safe stuff to let her know you care and want to bring her back to a good running condition. Then you can start exploring and learning about belts, grease fittings etc. Lotsa good knowledge by folks who know these rigs. Good luck and by all means if you have a question post it and include pics, they help explain so much!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have a nice tractor to bring back to life.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome to the forum TGG. Congrats on getting the old John Deere 317 ... now comes the fun part. Could be a bad battery, poor/corroded connections or stator. When you get her home and cleaned up do what Freebird said, then we can start finding your problems. Have fun and take a lot of pictures.
Brian

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
It never hurts to have a factory repair manual. What is the difference between a 317 and a 318? Besides one number!

·
Administrator
21,213 Posts
Greetings, and welcome to the site. You'll get plenty of info around here. Have fun!

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
The Gentleman Gardener

Glad you decided to join us and good luck on your JD317 project. :MTF_wel2: we are glad to have you. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Great to have you here and congratulations on getting green.

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
The Gentleman Gardener, look forward to following your JD317 project.:MTF_wel:

·
Landscaper
153 Posts
Dont know if anyones answered your Q as to what a Stator is...if it's the same as when I did my auto-ellectrics course, it's the magnetic part of the alternator that doesn't move...it surrounds the rotor...the bit that spins round and round, driven by the fan belt (on cars anyway). Spinning round past this magnet generates your current...pretty much the life-blood of your tractor :)

Dave

·
Landscaper
153 Posts
in theory yeah....If you know what bolts come off and where, then it's not that hard to take an alternator appart....but make sure you keep all the bits safe, you don't wanna put it back together and find that there's a bolt laying on the floor! lol

But if you send it away for diagnostics and repairs as necessary...it will cost a bomb. would work out cheaper to just pop a whole new alternator on.

If you can source the correct part then there's no harm in giving it a go.

...one thing i remember, when taking the alternator appart, scratch a line on the casing so that when it goes back together it's lined up how it was originally. I'm sure there's a few more tricks of the trade on here that other guys would be happy to share with you if you need more help/advice :)

Dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
:MTF_wel:

Thank you for joining us here. Welcome. There are lots of friendly and intelligent tractor buffs on here. It looks like you have a great tractor to work with. Now comes the fun part....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts