My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it wasnt for bad luck today I wouldnt have had any luck at all.

First off I get in the John Deere 165 and start cutting. I make about 2 rounds and find it isnt cutting anything. Clutch is engaged but I am hearing no deck sounds. Find that the belt is very loose. Not wanting to take the time at the second to check further because it was going to rain I drove it back to the shed and try again with the Craftsman.

This time the Craftsman wont start. Trys to turn but just wont crank over enough to start. Take the battery out and take it to the store. Yes it is bad they say, go out $39 lighter and take it home. Install it and it does the VERY same thing. So I am wondering at the moment when it comes to my head that some of these B&S engines can have the valve adjustment change to the point where the compression release no longer works. I think I will take the spark plug out and make sure if that allows it to turn over. Sure enough it did and a whole bunch of gas came out along with it. Hmmmmm I figure, I will bet it flooded. Clean the spark plug off, clean the gas up, install spark plug, then it fired up. I did check the oil and it doesnt appear that I have a crankcase of gas and oil. I did shut the gas off when I was done just to be safe.

Go back the John Deere to see what happened to the deck. Turns out the spring that holds the idler pulley to keep tension on the belt snapped . Kind of tight quarters to try to get the rest of it off with the deck on. I dont want to take the deck off since I am not really familier with how to do so. I did manage to get it off though so that I can get a new one.

So that ladies and gentlemen was my afternoon. My Lawn-boy 8480 is also in the repair places since it would not start last week. I would try to start but couldnt. Carb on that has run over a few times so I am figuring that.

Fun times.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
While you may not have done much mowing you did solve the problems with the tractors and learned a bit so IT's ALL GOOD !

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the John Deere fixed again. And for less than $5. Got to love it. Lawnboy is fixed. Needle and seat, muffler cleaning and port cleaning and it is as good as new. The Craftsman is still a work in progress. It runs but I need to change the oil since there is gas in it. It hasnt flooded again but I now shut the gas off when I am done. Good thing I installed a shutoff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts