My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard it today while finishing up the yard. Mowing with the 816S/50" Top Lube Spindles and all of a sudden the left (non discharge) spindle started making noise. Immediately shut it down and realized that it was way too late. Dropped the deck out and removed the covers. The spindle pulley rotates freely on the spindle... splines totally worn on both parts. I just rebuilt this deck top to bottom in March and have been using it to mow this season, once a week, 3.5 hrs. When I went through the deck it got all new lock nuts, washers, bearings, seals, etc. Guess after 34 years it was time.

Any thoughts on why it failed? No recent impacts to that spindle. Is this common for the pulley/spindle splines to fail? Will get more pictures tomorrow.

Lastly does anyone have good serviceable used parts they'd be willing to ship out quickly? I need to get this thing back together by next weekend. Would like to avoid Flea Bay if at all possible as that normally takes a week and a half by the time payment processes etc.

If I don't get it back together.. I guess I'll spend all of next weekend on the L with the 106. Poor 30" isn't the same as the 50".

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
So frustrating to have this happen so soon after an overhaul.
All I might suggest is that a bearing race wasn't all the way home in a bore? Or, fatigued metal that just gave it up after so many revolutions.
I wish I has the parts you need.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So frustrating to have this happen so soon after an overhaul.
All I might suggest is that a bearing race wasn't all the way home in a bore? Or, fatigued metal that just gave it up after so many revolutions.
I wish I has the parts you need.
It is a bit frustrating... but it's why we love old iron! I figured with all new bearings, races, seals, universals, idlers, blades, belt, and one new drive shaft yoke that the deck would be good for at least one season!

It does look like the parts are still available new... although expensive as can be. I'm mowing about 2 1/2 acres right now so I don't have much of an option. Repair is still cheaper than replace!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts