My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought some of you guys would be interested in reading this article on oils for our engines, drive lines and transmissions. I thought it to be quite interesting. It cleared up a couple of issues I had on the subject. It gets quite intense in some areas. Good article. PJ

Here's the link. http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for he link good read.....Chris.....

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
:ditto: Thanks!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That was a good read. He is a bit long winded but a little humor mixed in made it a bit easier to read.

Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
GREAT link Paul! That should settle a bunch of cookies that have been going around lately especially the lesser researched "dino vs. synthetic" and the "cheap oil filter" arguments.

I myself will be checking out the oil filter mounted Beartrap type magnets. How can this be a bad addition to an engine's system? Way more benefit that that magnet gas saver business mounted on the fuel line. I was happy to see that I've been changing oil correctly lo these many years!:D

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GREAT link Paul! That should settle a bunch of cookies that have been going around lately especially the lesser researched "dino vs. synthetic" and the "cheap oil filter" arguments.

I myself will be checking out the oil filter mounted Beartrap type magnets. How can this be a bad addition to an engine's system? Way more benefit that that magnet gas saver business mounted on the fuel line. I was happy to see that I've been changing oil correctly lo these many years!:D
I think the Beartrap magnets are a great way to go also. I'm going to see if I can get them locally. Many years ago, my dad got me hooked on the 3,000 mile oil changes and I've pretty much used that formula on all my road vehicles. Even though it might not have reached 3,000 miles and possibly a little over, I'll change oil if it looks dirty and I can't see through it on the stick. Oil is expensive I know, but engines are more so. I have a old Ford Ranger 4 banger that I bought new in 89. It has over 200,000 miles on it now and the engine has never been apart other than a timing belt and still uses no oil. We use it around the place now as the cab is about to fall off, well that's stretching it a bit, but close.
My motto is; Never use cheap oil, make sure it conforms to the engine manufactures specs and change it when the clarity disappears.
On my tractors, I use the engine manufactures recommendations on tech time. If they say change oil at 200 hrs. Then that's when I change oil. But, if the tractor is going to set over winter with out being used, it gets new oil before being put in the shed.
Not that everyone can do this, but I've found by buying oil and filters in bulk, you can save a bit of money. Other than the wifes car, which the dealer services, I use 15/40 in everything and never had a problem. So buying that in bulk is easy. After reading this article, I'll probably change brands though and go with the higher zinc based oils. That's still questionable.

·
16,490 Posts
Thanks for the link--Paul.....
Always room to learn some more---

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm going to check with Napa today and see if they have the beartrap or a similar product.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
...but I've found by buying oil and filters in bulk, you can save a bit of money

Be sure to check out the "Shelf Life of Oil" on that site. Oil definiately does have a shelf life. As it ages the blended additives will separate.

JD says 50 hrs. for my Kawi then it's 50 hours. The oil is never dark but it is discolored by that time. I change the filter with every oil change since I'm not saving up for college with my parts or oil savings. Worth every penny in the end I believe.

:ROF On a recent oil change I found after dropping the oil and taking off the filter that I DIDN'T have a new filter replacement. Luckily I had just bought a JD sized filter end cup type wrench and didn't destroy the old filter. I drained as much as I could out of it and replaced it on the engine and put in the new oil. I felt like I was putting old sweaty underwear back on after taking a hot shower. "I THOUGHT I had another filter in stock...!":D:D

·
16,490 Posts

Be sure to check out the "Shelf Life of Oil" on that site. Oil definiately does have a shelf life. As it ages the blended additives will separate.

JD says 50 hrs. for my Kawi then it's 50 hours. The oil is never dark but it is discolored by that time. I change the filter with every oil change since I'm not saving up for college with my parts or oil savings. Worth every penny in the end I believe.

:ROF On a recent oil change I found after dropping the oil and taking off the filter that I DIDN'T have a new filter replacement. Luckily I had just bought a JD sized filter end cup type wrench and didn't destroy the old filter. I drained as much as I could out of it and replaced it on the engine and put in the new oil. I felt like I was putting old sweaty underwear back on after taking a hot shower. "I THOUGHT I had another filter in stock...!":D:D
Tsk--Tsk! HydroH--I thought you had better control of your functions!! (Inventory--that is!!):ROF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts