·
Master of Disaster
180 Posts
Very very cool.

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the comments guys. I can't tell you how much stress this project caused me from time to time but I'm glad I stuck with it. When completed, I sure felt a lot of pride, but also a little relief because I had finally "made it" to my goal. I had never attempted anything like this before so it took a lot of trial and error. At times I was wishing I had someone to ask "how do I make this" or "where can I find these parts", but looking back I'm glad that I never had that option. I found my brain being pushed rather hard when trying to solve the many problems I ran into with the tracks and brakes. Looking back now, it seems like such an easy concept to build. Starting from scratch, however, I really was reinventing the wheel. I'm sure that to a Cat engineer, devising a way to build this would have come so easily, but for me it was a great way to stretch the limits of my abilities.

I did not repaint it but I plan to repaint the body soon because I used a different yellow on the tracks, blade and guide wheels. In comparison, the paint on the body now looks too dull. The body is still the same yellow it always was but the pictures were taken on my phone so they are a little less bright than they should be.

For my new cub project I plan on going with just single ags in the rear. The paint will be the original cub colors, but I probably won't put the original stickers on it. I have to start that project with replacing all the gaskets in the engine.

Someone had asked about the third set of tracks and how I made them. They are made of roller chain (two 10' strands per track) and form channel steel pieces (1/2" tall, 3/4" wide, 6" long). Each track has over 400 welds and around 108 pieces of form channel. I got the idea to go with chain and sprockets when I wanted to find a way to solve all the problems that the rubber tracks created.

A somewhat neat thing about this whole project is that this tractor was sold to me for $100 by my wife's grandmother. She sold it to me after her husband had died (she was married 4 times I think). Anyways, her husband, Fred, was a real neat guy and was full of car and truck knowledge. We enjoyed talking and learning from each other. After he passed I started working on this tractor. I just wanted to use it to plow snow and mess around with in the garage. Years later I have my little crawler. I'll bet he would crap a brick if he could see his old lawnmower now. Sure do wish there was a way to show it to him now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That little bugger is awesome. I'm working on building an old monkey wards GT into a dozer like that. Would it be ok to shoot you some questions when I run into trouble?

·
Registered
752 Posts
cub, I to am building a crawler project. Mine is hydrolic powered. I've been working on it for 7 months now. I never thought that it would take this long when I first brought it home. My project started its life as some sort of a trencher. I have no idea who made it.

I really like what you have done with your crawler. It's simple and works.

I read that you work for the state. What do you do? I work for INDOT as a mechanic.

Keep up the good work. I'd also like to no more about the pocker runs that you have talked about in your earlyer post. I thank that would be a fun thing to do.

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Dodge,
I work for the state of IL, but only for about 3 or 4 months in the winter. We are called highway maintainers. Basically, we plow snow and fill pot holes, but other neat projects come our way too. The rest of the year I'm hard at work with my guys running my business.

Good luck with your project and as always, we need to see pictures. Mine took about 15 months to complete so at 7 months you are right on track lol. I would have loved to make this one hydraulic since logically that would make more sense. Financially, however, I couldn't reason with buying all new parts and I liked the idea of trying to mimic the old cat crawlers and their design principals. If I did it again, hydraulic would be the plan from the get-go.

I think mine took so long because I had such a blank slate to build on and time was limited mostly to weekends in the winter.

The poker runs are usually done in small towns and are to benefit the local fire department, emt's, or food pantry. Usually there are lots of free beverages, food, and really neat rides that guys make for them. They are good for small communities because they raise funds for good causes, they are relatively safe compared to poker runs on bikes, and they provide unique entertainment for the locals. Besides, a lawnmower poker run down the streets of a big city wouldn't be too easy to pull off.

By the way guys, I'm always willing to help anyone on here build a crawler of their own, so long as individual creativity is respected and not copied. That just takes the respect out of the equation.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks, There is only one thing I want to use your idea on. The coils in the front seem alot better way to go than the original straight beam. How well does yours work?

·
Registered
752 Posts
This is a pic of the little fella. I'm running a 20 hp kohler. I got lucky as the tracks and drive wheels are already put together. There are 9.5:1 gear boxes that attach the drive motors to the drive sprockets.

I have a KWICK WAY loader that I had on my bolens 1886 that I'm gonna install on the dozer. I also have a blade that i'm gonna make a quick attach for. So that within a fow min and acouple bolts i can switch between the loader or blade

I have changed alot of things that I didnt like when I got it. hopefully for the better.

Attachments

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Rob,
I know it might take a while, but if you look through the entire build thread, you'll see I did away with the suspension. As cool of an idea as it was, it changed the geometry of the tracks and messed with the tension too much. It can be done, just not how I had it set up. The pivot point for the front suspension has to either be on the rear axle or very close to it. In the end, I'm glad I did away with it.

Dodge,
Thats a neat looking crawler. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. With the tracks and undercarriage wheels already there, you've got 75% of the project done! That should help you focus on tweaking more important aspects of your build. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
cub,

Thanks for liking toy. Its kinda ugly right now but it will look alot better in the future. Those picks are from a while back. I will try to bet some new ones soon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'll have to go back and look through that thread again this evening after I get back to the motel. It's gonna be a long day. Thanks for the pointer on what went wrong with that set up. I'll have to see if I can fab up something different.

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Tonight I wanted to share some pictures of the recent projects and how they are coming along. I also was curious about the other guys who were building crawlers to see how their projects were coming along.

First up is the cub. Not much has changed, but seeing the ags on it makes it come alive. I plan to start rebuilding the engine soon. Once the engine is out, it gets all new gaskets and a fresh coat of paint. I really think the seat that I have for it will add a lot of rustic appeal.

Up next is the golf cart for my father in law. We've been working hard on it. Actually he has been getting some surgery lately so I've had to do it by myself mostly. Its been fun and I pretty much have all the hardware installation and hookup complete. We are waiting for the body to get its paint and then it will get sent off to the upholstry shop for a set of custom seats. Everything will be STL cardinals theme so black, red, white, and some polished diamond plate accents.

The wiring needs to be cleaned up some. It is all perfectly funtional and fused/relayed correctly, but as you can see the wiring behind the dash needs a few pieces redone so they are the proper length and fit in the wire loom. There are two switches that control ride height. One switch for the compressor circuit that is also monitored by a pressure switch on the tank. Another switch controls the dash lights (in the guages) and the front headlights, which are not yet mounted. A third circuit is constantly live and powers the three cigarette lighter outlets. There is one in each glove box and one on the face of the dash. There is also one hidden switch that acts as a main kill switch for the cart. Unless this hidden switch is turned on, the cart is dead in the water so it cannot be driven away by a would-be thief.

Sittin low

Sittin up

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
sick!!!!!!

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This is my most favorite project yet! Recently she wore a fresh Carhartt paint job and was decked out with some high-end cuteness. She's growing quickly and I spend time every day helping her grow. With warmer weather coming quickly, I just can't wait to take her for a ride in her wagon. I've been blessed with a wonderful wife and little girl!

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Yes, you are blessed with your talents , and especially your little girl, along with wonderful wife.

The golf cart is cool too!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Crongrats on the beautiful little girl. Yep, you are defintely blessed. Cub looks good. Golf carts are really not my thing but, I love the amazing work you've put into it.

As for my crawler, I'm still gathering parts and pieces as time and funds allow. Got a set of disc brakes from a Suzuki 4 wheeler to steer it, just have to get the slave cylinders and lines. Will start a thread on it as soon as I have enough goodies to get it rolling.

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It started with the crawler, then I told you of the wagon, the golf cart, and the narrow 125. Are you all ready for some updates????

Since so many of you love pictures as much as I do, I thought I'd share some. Lets start with a video that will make you smile...

View My Video

I'll make another post tonight with pictures of the other projects. Enjoy!

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I just posted the video of my crawler in action and this is the rest of the updates for you all.

My daughter loves her wagon rides these days! She is getting big fast and we are in the stage of LOTS of laughs and giggles. Its great to see her light up when I walk in the room. Makes me feel important.

The narrow 125 is coming along well. I am working on rebuilding the engine. The seat has air ride.... it seems everything I build anymore has some sort of air ride :)

Some decals for the mini cat dozer

The golf cart when it was finished. Moments after these photos, it was loaded up for a golf game the following morning. I heard it was a hit on the course.

Hope you all enjoy the updates. Sorry it takes me so long to get this stuff up here. At least you know part of where my time goes lol

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Everything is looking good and your daughter sure is cute:fing32: slkpk

21 - 40 of 51 Posts