My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video is a taste of the photos I will get to post really soon. I have two more trim pieces to put on that I'll hopefully get to on Sunday. Oh, I also need to put a cup holder on the dash. Paint and final assembly are complete and I'm so dang proud!!

I do believe, however that I will repaint the body with a higher gloss paint in the spring and maybe I'll drop a different motor in it since its starting to smoke a bit.

Tractor in first gear
View My Video

The original thread can be found here:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=98355

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
That's SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET :thThumbsU :thThumbsU
I like it :thThumbsU :thThumbsU

Merrie​
Merrie​

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,171 Posts
Awesome build, looking forward to the pics! :thanku:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wow, that's cool!!

Could you tell us a little more about the third set of tracks? Looks like you changed quite a bit from the original ideas. Watching it run makes me think of the old "Beetle" crawlers from the 50's- only they didn't have that cool exhaust...

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dodgeboy,
Yes, I changed the undercarriage completely. Not only did I have to build the tracks from scratch, but I also had to start over completely with the undercarriage. Funny thing is that if did it a fourth time, there are still things I would change.

The tracks were hand made out of 2050 roller chain and 1/2" x 3/4" x 6" pieces of form channel. When I ordered that steel (around 60' of it), the guys at my supplier were trying to figure out what in the world I was making with it.

The drive wheels are 60 tooth 50# sprockets with 3/4" hubs welded in the center so I could mount them on my axle shafts. The front and rear guide wheels are steel and I did add some small boggies to the middle of the undercarriage. Turns out those boggies do help a lot with steering because it creates a pivot point around the middle of the tracks.

Most things on this are made from stratch, even the disk brakes in the rear. The pushbar was handmade, as was the dozer blade setup (the blade itself is a sears blade), the wiring to control the linear actuator that raises the blade, and the diamond plate steel floorboards. All of the diamond plate aluminum was hand cut. Each track consisted of over 400 welds. I took this tractor apart and reassembled it at least 12 times.

Wait till you see the dozer blade!!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Most excellent video and looking forward to more vids of it in action. slkpk

·
Citizen of Earth
15,674 Posts
GREAT JOB! I really enjoyed catching up with your project from the beginning. The only thing that I would do different is to make your foot rests longer going back to the rear fenders. And that's only because I'm a klutz and would accidently stick my foot in the unprotected space

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
liking the steering brakes! simple and effective. ill be interested to see how long they last

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,171 Posts
I was waiting for your update. I wasn't disappointed! What an awesome machine. I would be proud as a peacock to be able to say I built something like that. The blade really rounds it out, thanks for sharing.

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe, I completely agree. I wanted them to be longer, didn't feel like building them again so I left it how it was. I did add some diamond plate to the top and key stock to the edges to make it look better and ended up being really happy with how they turned out.

Wayney
That is the first time I've seen a pic of your craftsman and I love it. I don't know why, but I've really come to love this body style and hope to find another one. I have to admit though that I don't even know what year our tractors are. There is another member on here who has two (one green and one red) and they look awesome as well. Now we just need a member with a blue one or a white one. Could you tell me what models, years, or size sears look like ours?

Thanks guys for your comments.

SLKPK,
If you'd like, you could come over and check it out in person some time. I'm so happy its finally finished. Well, for not it is finished anyways. I've already got a list of touch-ups that I'll do in the spring.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,674 Posts
Man o' man that is slick! Did you repaint it? Looks almost desert tan in the latest photos and video. Really cool to watch you twirl that machine around in your garage. Thde next project looks interesting also.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Excellent work on it. slkpk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Joe, I completely agree. I wanted them to be longer, didn't feel like building them again so I left it how it was. I did add some diamond plate to the top and key stock to the edges to make it look better and ended up being really happy with how they turned out.

Wayne
That is the first time I've seen a pic of your craftsman and I love it. I don't know why, but I've really come to love this body style and hope to find another one. I have to admit though that I don't even know what year our tractors are. There is another member on here who has two (one green and one red) and they look awesome as well. Now we just need a member with a blue one or a white one. Could you tell me what models, years, or size sears look like ours?

Thanks guys for your comments.

If memory serves I think 86 rings a bell. I rescued mine from the weeds and it's been a workhorse ever since. I think the late 80s tractors had this style and they changed around 90-91. I'm sure there are experts here who can narrow it down for you. Awesome machine you have created!

Wayne

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
That is one sweet rig!! I can't imagine the work that goes into building something like that!

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Absolutly awsome build. You really did a great job.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts